"Questran/Food Mix & Carafate"

Nicole

Post   » Fri Feb 08, 2002 12:05 am

These are two drugs(?) that were given to a friend of mine when she took her pigs to the vets tonight. A little background...She had 4, (or 5..) babies born a few months ago. Without any warning, two of them crossed the bridge between last night and today. She took the remaining babies to the vet. Well, after taking one piece of poop from *one* pig and checking it for blood (it was negative), the vet said that "Since they have black poop (even though its still completely formed!) they have intestinal problems. Their intestines arent formed correctly." She then gave my friend sulfatrim, carafate, questran (says its a food mix), and critical care (in her ´opinion´ the babies arent eating enough although they weigh almost 9 oz.´s each) which is why they have to get the critical care. She told my friend to get Infants Gas X as well beause she says they are bloated, but, didnt give a dose and I cant find a dosage online. Does any of this sound right or did she spend $270 for nothing? I cant find Questran or Carafate listed anywhere, can someone tell me what they actually are?

----------------------

Also, the vet said that she shouldnt be giving the pigs human vitamin C, that they need a C thats specifically made for pigs. The vet had some stuff from Oxbow she wanted her to buy, but, my friend declined..I was under the assumption that all C is the same as long as it´s pure. The vet also said that pigs need a multivitamin..which, from what I´ve read, is a crock. The vet also recommended that she buy a multi from her, which she also declined. And, she said that Kaytee pellets are "sh** pellets" and she should give them Oxbow pellets which the vet was also willing to sell to her.. I do know that Oxbow pellets are better than most, but, again assuming, I think they´re ok as long as the pig is getting C from their veggies right? Oh, one more thing..the vet said that she´s giving them to many veggies. She gives them about a cup, to a cup and a half a day. So.....was the vet taking her for a ride or was she actually right??

Thanks,
Nicole
Last edited by Nicole on Fri Feb 08, 2002 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

pinta

Post   » Fri Feb 08, 2002 1:13 am

An autopsy would have been helpful. Pigs´ poops are dark. Shiny, dark, well-formed poops are desirable. The colour reflects the diet.

Reglan(metoclopramide) is excellent for Bloat and moving food thru the digestive system.

Seansfamily has experience using simethicone(sp?), an anti-gas remedy.

C is C. Asorbic Acid.

Multivitamins are not recommended. (Our vets will give C and B at the clinic)

Don´t know Questran or Carafate. Carafate might be related to charcoal and Questran might be a horse product.

I would suspect something they ate since genetic problems don´t do in pigs at the exact same time and deaths from bacterial infections or viruses are usually staggered. Toxin on vegetables not washed off? Mold in hay? Bloat indicates a food problem, enteritis, intestinal blockage.....An antibiotic is a good preventative measure in case a bacteria is involved. The vet prescribing an antibiotic for incorrectly formed intestines tells me the vet doesn´t know what the problem is and is covering her bases.

Veggies are fine if they are used to them.

9 oz. seems very small.

Nicole

Post   » Fri Feb 08, 2002 1:27 am

"Reglan(metoclopramide) is excellent for Bloat and moving food thru the digestive system."

But, would there still be bloat if they´re pooping?

"Don´t know Questran or Carafate. Carafate might be related to charcoal and Questran might be a horse product."

So, in your opinion..should she give it to them?

"The vet prescribing an antibiotic for incorrectly formed intestines tells me the vet doesn´t know what the problem is and is covering her bases."

I was thinking the exact same thing..

pigpal

Post   » Fri Feb 08, 2002 1:43 am

All I know about Questran is it´s used for lowering cholesterol. I´ll see if I can find anything.

Nicole

Post   » Fri Feb 08, 2002 1:49 am

Carafate--
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/drug ... 02533.html

Questran--
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/drug ... 02137.html

Now, with the questran, its categorized as an anti diarrheal..if they have bloat, dont you think this would make them worse?? And, the carafate, as per the site --"is used to treat and prevent duodenal ulcers. This medicine may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor. Sucralfate works by forming a ``barrier´´ or ``coating´´ over the ulcer. This protects the ulcer from the acid of the stomach, allowing it to heal. Sucralfate contains an aluminum salt."

I still dont get it.. why would she prescribe it?? And, does anyone know if they´re even safe??

pinta

Post   » Fri Feb 08, 2002 1:50 am

I have two pigs on Reglan right now. One to deal with the air she´s swallowing from her breathing problems and one with motility problems. Tiramissou pooped yet still had a bloated tummy. The food wasn´t moving fast enough thru her system resulting in a gas build-up and a weight gain that wasn´t normal.

Tried the Google search engine

Carafate
http://www.vin.com/PetCare/Articles/Vet ... M00573.htm

HOW THIS MEDICATION IS USED
Sucralfate may be used in any condition
associated with stomach ulceration. Common
examples include: toxin ingestion, kidney
failure, liver failure, certain forms of
cancer, and megaesophagus. It is also
often given with medications that are
associated with stomach ulceration such as
pyroxicam (feldene).

One dose of Sucralfate lasts approximately
6 hours after it is taken orally.

Sounds like the vet is covering her bases. I really know nothing about this drug so can´t comment

Questran - lots of choices.
http://www.google.ca/search?q=questran& ... arch&meta=

This one has a pile of stuff it can´t be used with but I can´t really comment since i don´t know it.

pigpal

Post   » Fri Feb 08, 2002 1:51 am

Questran is used to treat GIstasis in rabbits.

http://www.showbunny.com/gistasis.asp

B. Cholestryramine (Questran) is a granular resin with a high affinity for negatively charged, hydrophobic compounds, of which Clostridium spiroformes toxins are one type. This product is used primarily to reduce serum cholesterol in humans, and is available at most pharmacies. If the rabbit has mucousy stool, there is a good possibility that Clostridium bacteria are proliferating and producing potentially lethal enterotoxins. Questran will absorb these and be passed out harmlessly in the feces. Questran should be suspended in a generous amount of liquid and administered orally: because of its hydrophilic properties, it can dehydrate intestinal contents if given with insufficient water. Questran does not affect the action of the intestine; it is not absorbed by the body. Rather, it works directly upon the contents of the gut. We believe this substance has helped save the lives of many rabbits suffering from a severely inflamed intestine simply by sequestering toxins and buying time while gut motility medications and other treatments get the intestine moving again. It is very safe, used as directed.

Hope that helps.
Last edited by pigpal on Fri Feb 08, 2002 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

pinta

Post   » Fri Feb 08, 2002 1:53 am

She doesn´t know what´s wrong and is covering her bases.

Nicole

Post   » Fri Feb 08, 2002 2:12 am

PigPal and Pinta, thank you both very much for your help. She doesnt know exactly whats wrong, thats a given, and shes covering her bases, that I can understand, but, questran is an anti diarrheal, it has ´binding´ qualities, yet, they have no diarrhea. Wont that make them worse? And, Carafate "not only “bandages” the ulcer but accumulates healing tissue factors in its bandage; it not only protects the ulcer but actively assists in the healing process." Wouldnt yogurt do the same thing? Basically, what she´s asking, since the vet doesnt know what she´s doing, and she is the only vet in her area, do you all think she should give either the questran or the carafate?

pinta

Post   » Fri Feb 08, 2002 3:20 am

Read pigpal´s post on the Questran again. It has more than one use.

I really don´t have the drug knowledge to advise. Josephine might. Maybe you should email her if she doesn´t check in.

Cara

Post   » Fri Feb 08, 2002 8:30 am

I would take her off the Questran. I recently lost a pig to bloat after the vet misdiagnosed an internal blockage and gave her Flagyl which is also an antidiarrheal. That essentially removed any hope of anything coming out and she didn´t poop again before she died.

ladyveg

Post   » Sat Feb 09, 2002 8:22 pm

If I may add some quick thoughts as these pigs have been with me now the past 12 hours or so.

The babies are very, very, very small for their age. I´ll get weights in a bit.

One most certainly has bloat. She also has yellow staining on her belly (like urine) the other three do to a lesser extent. The one with bloat is in with an adult sow with a naked belly.

The poops were the tiniest little mouse turds I´ve ever seen. We loaded them up with hay and pellets last night and they are already improving today. There were no poops at all in the travel cages (traveled 6 hours).

Any thoughts based on this information? The one with bloat is staying with a vet tech foster/friend of mine who is better able to monitor what is going on, has more vet access (I work during the week) and can administer meds with confidence. I´d like to give her some ideas though to work with if anyone has any.