Elvis, possibly sick or I'm paranoid

cutemomomi
Obey My Authority

Post   » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:40 pm

That is one scary looking tooth!!!
Truckloads of ninja vibes to the little man, if this doesn't call for fresh grass, I don't know what does!

cavyslave8
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:05 pm

I wanted to update Elvis' thread with his necropsy findings. I always appreciate it when others do.

Final Diagnosis:
Chronic myocarditis and endocarditis with myocardial degeneration.

Aspiration pneumonia

I have gone back and forth about whether to post this. It's been a sore topic for me. The aspiration was critical care, it was severe. This all took place post op (gum debridement & lump removals), he was still in the hospital (Cornell) at this time. The pathologist was excellent and gave an incredible amount of detail in his report.

I will say this, I had suspected heart disease and did several tests and harassed many vets in the 4.5 years of Elvis' life. The surgery went well and he came around. I didn't expect this.

Because of Elvis' case, Kumar will be re-evaluated for heart disease. With or without a conclusive ECHO, if we believe he has it, he will be on a trial of meds.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:00 pm

Thank you for posting this. I think it just adds to the body of evidence that heart problems should be considered far more often than they are.

That is what I finally had to do with Lady Bug after being told over and over again that nothing could be found. I just insisted "my pig, my responsibility" heart meds-NOW. It gave her another two years of life. Had I listened to the angels here and started her on meds sooner she might have lived even longer.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:02 pm

Thanks for the necropsy information. I am sure it is difficult to find he died due to aspirating Critical Care in their care. Discouraging to see the heart problems that went untreated. But at least you now have validation that they existed.

I hope Kumar can get a trial of the medication he likely needs.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:48 pm

I'm really, really sorry, CS8. You would think Cornell would know better and do better.

Best to his spirit, and to you.

cavyslave8
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:20 pm

Thanks guys. Kumar is going back to my old vet for evaluation. It's a trek but well worth it, I believe. They know him and us. I can't let this type of thing happen to another pig in our house.

The grief was hard enough, to find all this out made it much more difficult. I want to be careful here, I'm not lashing out.

Anyway, thanks for being supportive. I'll update Kumar's thread when we know something.

Bytxlaura
Remembering Nemo

Post   » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:35 pm

Oh, RIP Elvis! Your case will hopefully help other piggies.

Oh wow, that is a trek :)

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:00 pm

I'm so truly sorry that this happened. It has to be really difficult to have this new information -- particularly concerning the aspiration. That is very troubling, to say the least.

Good luck with Kumar. I'll watch his thread for updates.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:17 am

My heart goes out to you. Elvis' story will help others.

Sending good thoughts for Kumar.