Elvis, possibly sick or I'm paranoid

cavyslave8
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri May 01, 2009 4:40 pm

That's what I was wondering, Lynx.

I hope we do too, poor guy gets so stressed out at the vets office. Taking SmartyPants with him helps.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Fri May 01, 2009 4:48 pm

cavyslave8
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri May 01, 2009 5:00 pm

That's very interesting, I'll mention this to vet. It does seem coincidental that this all happened around the same time. Thanks for posting the link.

GuineaPinny

Post   » Fri May 01, 2009 5:17 pm

Sending good thoughts to Elvis.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Fri May 01, 2009 5:31 pm

I'm sending good thoughts for Elvis too, and hoping that everything goes smoothly at the appointment on Monday.

cavyslave8
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Mon May 04, 2009 1:52 pm

We're back from the vet. The tooth was trimmed and will have to be trimmed every few weeks. I'm waiting on the report to be emailed to me but I have a concern about the abscess, which was drained today.

I am to clean it several times a day with saline. He said it should be healed over by the end of the week. Elvis was given no ab's or metacam. Is this ok?

Here's the abscess after being drained.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Mon May 04, 2009 4:06 pm

Sending good thought for Elvis, and I hope he has a speedy recovery.

I would think that antibiotics and pain medication would help the healing process. How is he feeling?

You may have already seen these threads:

Brimstone's Graham had a type of drain for his cheek abscess:
Lump in Graham's cheek

Cavykatie's Hope had an abscess next to her nose:
Hope's Abscess - Warning: Graphic Photos

cutemomomi
Obey My Authority

Post   » Mon May 04, 2009 4:16 pm

That looks owie owie, but it looks quite good for a *just drained* site.
I understand your concern about the Ab and pain meds, I too would be wondering.

we had both Ab and metacam with McMac's abscess, but they were bigger in size and he was older in age to take any chances with infections.

cavyslave8
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Mon May 04, 2009 4:17 pm

Thank you, Tracis. I agree with you and since I got home, I've been feeling more and more uncomfortable with him not being on antibiotics. When I asked about them, Dr. De Matos said he didn't think Elvis needed them.

He appears to be feeling fine, his usual sweet self. But it's really hard to tell with him. When he gets upset or doesn't feel good, he licks you frantically. He's an odd one.

Perhaps, I can talk them into giving me some when they email me the report. If not, I can contact my other vet about this.

cutemomomi
Obey My Authority

Post   » Mon May 04, 2009 4:19 pm

When he gets upset or doesn't feel good, he licks you frantically.
*looking at bite marks on my hands*
Uh... and you are complaining...? :p

Maybe it is such a small drain site your vet just doesn't see the need for adding medications?
McMac's site was much bigger, and it looks red and swollen right after the drain.
I have to say Elvis looks good.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Mon May 04, 2009 11:35 pm

I'll add these to the thread (I trust that is okay). I think antibiotics would help. Good luck getting it healed up!

sef1268

Post   » Tue May 05, 2009 11:27 am

Sending Get Well wishes to Elvis from me and the boys. ;)

cavyslave8
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sun May 10, 2009 2:01 pm

Well, I couldn't get the ab's. I've been flushing it several times a day but this morning it looked bad. Until now, I thought it was healing nicely. I'm hoping after he sees this, Dr. De Matos will give us the antibiotics.

I'm also a little concerned about how his eyes look. They look cloudy.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Sun May 10, 2009 2:10 pm

Poor Elvis! Yes, his eye does look cloudy. How does his vision seem? Fingers crossed you can convince your vet to give you some abs.

dgarriques
Got Pigs?

Post   » Sun May 10, 2009 2:11 pm

Poor sweet Elvis. I sure hope the vets can get something to help him.

cavyslave8
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sun May 10, 2009 2:54 pm

Urgh, the only vet on call is someone I don't really trust. Dr. Morrisey will be there tomorrow though. I can't believe this is happening today. I'm waiting for a call back about what to do.

His vision seems off to me. I think I'll have them check that while I'm there. I know I'm panicking, I can't help it.

cavyslave8
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sun May 10, 2009 3:00 pm

He's in pain, I'm taking him in. I got them to agree over the phone to start ab's when I get there. Surgery to remove it will be tomorrow.

sef1268

Post   » Sun May 10, 2009 3:20 pm

Oh no! Poor Elvis. :(((

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sun May 10, 2009 4:31 pm

I'm sorry he is in pain. Not sure why the eyes would get cloudy. It does not look like there has been any injury.

GuineaPinny

Post   » Sun May 10, 2009 4:57 pm

Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry! Good luck for Elvis.

409 posts