Elvis, possibly sick or I'm paranoid

cavyslave8
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu May 14, 2009 12:56 pm

I'm still waiting for the vet to call me back. Grrr. The abscess is closed up now but I still feel a little lump. Does anyone know if that's normal?

Rockford (dog) needs to get to the vet too but I'm trying to wait for this call in case I need to take Elvis too. Just once, I would like to have one sick animal at a time. Poo.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Thu May 14, 2009 3:33 pm

What?? You want life to be easy? Still sending hugs to you.

Brimstone
For Rocky

Post   » Thu May 14, 2009 7:10 pm

Sorry to hear Elvis isn't doing well. I hope you and Elvis can get some answers and get this problem resolved soon.

For what it's worth for dogs' sakes, I asked my friend's mom who lives down toward you who they use for a dog vet and she said Lake Road Animal Hospital. Said they've taken their dogs there for years and really trust the vet. I think she said he's the vet who did knee surgery on their 14 year old dog.

cavyslave8
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu May 14, 2009 9:17 pm

Thank you very much for that info, Brimstone. I've been looking around and did come across them. It's good to know that someone who's been going there, trusts him.

I'm worried about Elvis. He seems off, too lethargic. I'm hoping that it's just from the bout of intolerance. At least his poo's are much better now.

dgarriques
Got Pigs?

Post   » Thu May 14, 2009 10:57 pm

Poor Elvis, any news from the Vet?

cavyslave8
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri May 15, 2009 12:19 am

The vet wants me to restart the TMS tomorrow morning. That would give him a full 24 hours off them. He also wants me to give benebac 3 times daily. Thank goodness I just got a few tubes of it. He feels that Elvis really needs the ab's based on how stubborn this infection seems to be.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Fri May 15, 2009 1:37 am

Sending more good thoughts for Elvis. This abscess does sound very stubborn.

dgarriques
Got Pigs?

Post   » Fri May 15, 2009 10:25 pm

How is Elvis doing tonight? Is he getting any better?

cavyslave8
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sat May 16, 2009 10:59 am

I think the abscess is growing back. I don't know the proper way to describe that but it's getting bigger.

I did find a new, better way to do his compresses though. At least there's no diarrhea. Yay for that!

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sat May 16, 2009 2:24 pm

Can you describe your better technique?

Yay for no diarrhea!

cavyslave8
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sat May 16, 2009 2:36 pm

Ok, here's what I do and here's what I use. Syringe container (little tube that the individual syringes come in), bowl, sterile gauze pad, and sterile saline.

Fill the tube with saline.
Fill the bowl with warm water, and put the tube in it. This way, it warms up and stays warm while you're flushing the abscess.
After you're done flushing, open the gauze. Pour tube saline on it, and compress.

FYI- The tube holds the perfect amount for a 4X4 gauze pad. Use slightly less for a 3X3.

I've been trying to keep things as sterile as possible. Plus, I'm usually doing this by myself, so I need everything ready as we go through the process. This might not be the best way but it's certainly better than what they told me to do. (ziplock bag with a warm washcloth in it) He hated that.

I'm going to get a message to Dr. Morrissey about what's happening. He asked for updates and I think it's time for a different approach. I really think surgically removing it would be better than lancing/draining at this point.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Sat May 16, 2009 5:28 pm

I think I agree with your idea of surgery and get Elvis off the merry-go-round he's on. Fingers crossed for him.

sef1268

Post   » Sat May 16, 2009 9:23 pm

Fingers crossed here, too. Ditto -- I'm glad he's tolerating the AB's.

dgarriques
Got Pigs?

Post   » Sat May 16, 2009 9:48 pm

Tell ELvis I send my love and hope he is all better soon. He has a very good Mom.

Bytxlaura
Remembering Nemo

Post   » Sun May 17, 2009 1:24 am

Good boy Elvis :)

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun May 17, 2009 11:55 pm

Sigh. Best wishes to him and to you. Your entire household has been through the wringer more than once now.

cavyslave8
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Mon May 18, 2009 12:01 am

Thank you for all the well wishes. Elvis is still being his sweet, adorable self. He's such a great little guy.

Could someone tell me: Should there be any lump left, if the infection is gone?

This is my first abscess and I'm wondering what to expect in normal healing. There is a clear incision line but there are 2 lumps, 1 above and 1 below the incision line.

By the way, if anyone thinks that the way I'm compressing is wrong, please let me know.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Mon May 18, 2009 12:10 am

Look at Snowflake's pics (I think they are linked to on this page: gl/postop.html but not positive). Hope Elvis heals okay!

Bytxlaura
Remembering Nemo

Post   » Mon May 18, 2009 1:40 am

Lump as in round and formed - I am not sure. It is normal though for scar tissue to form in the area (on the inside, under the incision).

WindeSpirit
Sewing for a Cause

Post   » Mon May 18, 2009 5:29 am

How far above and below the incision? Usually scar tissue is right at the incision, like in a sloop fashion. I'd have them look at it, it doesn't sound right. I don't recall T-patch having any lumps after his abscess was removed.

More lovin's to Elvis. He's got a great mommy looking after him.

409 posts