Rabbit question--

lisam

Post   » Sat Feb 09, 2002 11:48 pm

Our Dust Bunny really has started looking scruffy this past week. He is ten months old, has shed a few times. But now he is shedding out in clumps, and his fur feels a little greasy. He is a mini lop, his fur is usually really soft and fluffy, not smooth.

I noticed yesterday that one of my pigs has an outbreak of mites. Does anyone know if they also effect rabbits? Dust Bunny rarely comes into physical contact with them, if at all. And if he does have mites, does anyone know how to get rid of them? Ivermectin?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Feb 10, 2002 7:35 am

Yes, ivermectin will work on your rabbit too. I´m pretty sure it´s the same dosage (cats and dogs are more sensitive and use less). If you use google.com to do a search, it will show up alot of info. As with any info, it varies. One site claimed the mites were ear mites that had spread (not what I understand). But any kind of mite should be taken care of, especially if it is used topically.

Supposedly rabbit mange mites would be unique to rabbits, as guinea pig mange mites are unique to guinea pigs. I don´t know if they would be the same bug or if in the end it would make any difference (you´d have to get a scraping and analysis by someone who could really tell you) but the treatment is the same.

Good luck.
Last edited by Lynx on Sun Feb 10, 2002 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.