7 Wheek Old Piggys with Head tilts

Herbie

Post   » Sun Feb 10, 2002 1:29 pm

Before anyone yells at me - I just got these babys yesterday - my local pet store convinced me to take them. So we´re up to 9 gps at the moment.

Apparently these babys came in with a head tilt, and they gave them a full dose of antibiotics. They were sure it was an inner ear infection. The abby is pretty good - just a little tilt. The teddy is really wobbly - head tilt walks like she drank a bottle of wine. Both are very sweet - starting to trust me - YAY!!!!!! When nervous they do circles.

Both have great appetites - are eating Cavy Performance, drinking water, and did great with a salad last night. Their fur is shiny, clear bright eyes. A scratch here and there.

Any ideas on what this could be? Both of my gp vets are good - but I´m sure this one will be totally new for them. Anything specific to look for to help us figure this out?

I´d like to give them an idea before I bring the girls in - maybe they can call Dr Quesenbury before I do.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks - Donna ?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Feb 10, 2002 1:55 pm

I understand sometimes parasites can cause this. If they are too young, you might not be able to treat them with ivermectin though.

Herbie

Post   » Sun Feb 10, 2002 1:57 pm

They would cause the wobbling? I know in Herbie he has seizures. He´s hypersensitive to mites.

Donna

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Feb 10, 2002 2:07 pm

Read this article on head tilt in rabbits. E. cuniculi (a parasite) can cause it too.

http://www.rabbit.org/journal/3-8/head-tilt.html

I notice this page also mentions intoxication:

Intoxication
This could be caused by ingestion of lead, found in paints or imported pottery, or ingestion of a toxic plant such as the woolly pod milkweed.
Last edited by Lynx on Sun Feb 10, 2002 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Sun Feb 10, 2002 2:29 pm

I second Lynx´s comments and also add they might need another antibiotic. Sometimes antibiotics chosen do not work for that individual and the specific microbes are resistant. I know I don´t have to tell you that pet stores often use inappropriate and/or useless meds on their animals. If you can find out the med they were on, dosage, and duration, I´m sure that would help your vet.

Herbie

Post   » Sun Feb 10, 2002 2:42 pm

I know what you mean. This place is one of the best - honestly. They do have an exotic vet they work with. And they do not sell sick critters. They´ve nailed me before cause they know I´m a sucker for the sick and handicapped.

I was thinking that the meds weren´t strong enough. I know when my husband had an inner ear infection - he was bouncing off the walls too.

I´m just hoping that it´s nothing majore of liufe threatening. These girls are just two cuties!

Thanks - Donna

cmtigger

Post   » Sun Feb 10, 2002 5:43 pm

Yes, I have had some pretty severe ear infections. (Sinus too!) I can´t do anything with any sort of balance. I agree that trying another course of antibiotics would be a good idea, but they might also have permanant damage. I recently pig sat a friends sow who had a permanant head tilt from an ear infection that she had as a youngster. It doesn´t mean that they can´t have happy lives, but that they will just be a little different. This little sow even popcorned for me sometimes.

Herbie

Post   » Sun Feb 10, 2002 5:59 pm

They do pop a little which is cute! The really wobbly one we named Penny - she´s a talker! When you pet her she just talks a mile a minute, and kisses. The abby we named Patches is super timid. She bit husband & I both tonight. So we just have to work with them. I think the Doc is working tommorow so I´ll call her.

I had a cat with a super bad crooked head. He had impacted ear mites which caused brain damage. After they neutered him, they flushed and flushed his ears - and it was amazing - he was deaf when I took him home - after that he could hear some. Poor Willie, he only lived 5 years. I had to put him to sleep after he tried to walk into a burning fireplace. He had bone cancer, and was not able to hold any body heat. It was sad - he was a very very special kitty. I could write a book about him. He ran into a door, had about 5 surgeries, raised two litters of kittens, one puppy. I will always miss him........

Donna