Sow with lump (cyst?) in ear.

daftscotslass

Post   » Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:40 pm

The only odd thing I've noticed is that she seems to be re-ingesting all/most of her poops. I was a bit concerned that there were only a few when I looked in her cage but I've been watching her and she's clearly eating normal ones. Lots of them!

daftscotslass

Post   » Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:13 am

Bonnie's ear is healing well, parts of the wound have crusted over and fallen off already. She has had a great week.

Unfortunately today she has suddenly developed really clicky sounding breathing so I'm taking her to the vet in 2 hours time. She's still behaving normally, eating and drinking so I'm hoping that if it's the start of a URI I have caught it early enough.

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:19 am

Good luck with the breathing. Hopefully you've nipped it in the bud. Great that her ear is healing so well. Best wishes today!

daftscotslass

Post   » Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:39 am

Overall, I think it's panic over. At the vet Bonnie had a top-up of her antibiotic. Her breathing was back to normal within the hour. I think it was complete coincidence.

Overnight the scab/crust covering the wound came off and bled slightly. It has, however, stopped completely. I have a sneaky suspiscion that the crackling sound was related to fluid draining off (would that make sense?) - it has returned again this morning but is very intermittent.

Anyway, she is back for another checkup on Monday morning first thing.

Halva
Supporter in '10

Post   » Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:55 am

I hope Bonnie continues to get better. Those were amazing shots you managed to get of the cyst. Can I ask what camera type you've been using, eg. a SLR or a point and shoot and whether you used flash? When one of my girls had a bite wound when I got her, I tried to take a close up of the wound and I found that the flash bleached out everything and I lost the detail. I've been getting really disappointing GP pictures overall, which is really frustrating!

daftscotslass

Post   » Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:47 am

It's a Nikon Coolpix 7600... 7.2MP resolution. It's a point and shoot - I would have liked a digital SLR but it's a little out of my price range at the moment! I used the flash but the main problem is that the size of the lens often means that when using the flash there is a shadow of the lens in the pictures. You can see it in all of the pictures I have taken.

Edit to add: The camera actually has a macro mode for close-up shots like that. I will post some other piccies I took with it in General Chat if you like.

Halva
Supporter in '10

Post   » Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:09 am

That would be interesting. Thank you! Excuse me while I drool over your 7.2 megapixels. I only have a Canon A75 powershot, 3.2mpx, which has been taking lousy pictures of the GPs - although it could very well be me. Won't clog up the emergency thread any more though.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:01 pm

Mine is a 3.something camera. I really like it though. And it has a macro.

daftscotslass

Post   » Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:53 pm

Here's what I hope will be our final update! The first vet visit following her clicky breathing was a bit of a disaster (vet I didn't know kept missing when doing a/b injection, causing Bonnie and owner - me - distress). Her breathing was back to normal in 24 hours. However, I noticed that this coincided with the first scab/crust coming off - a very large one. This resulted in some blood and fluid draining into her ear. This healed quickly into a small crust. The vet today was pretty sure that the rattly nose was due to fluid draining through her nose (it was only audible when she sniffed and not when she was breathing normally when relaxed).

Today she was back at the vet for her (fingers crossed) final evaluation by a vet I've known since I first kept piggies. He listened to her chest which is completely clear, her nose clean and her ear looking great.

I just went to take a picture of the scab on the wound but was surprised to see it is all completely gone. So, 2 weeks following surgery there is no sign the abscess was ever there apart from a small patch of pale pink skin.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:56 pm

Thanks for the update. I added this pic too (to complete the set) :-)

Hope this is the last you see of the abscess!

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:59 pm

Great news!

daftscotslass

Post   » Sat Sep 09, 2006 5:21 am

Final update.

Ear is back to normal dark colour inside, no sign abscess was ever there. No signs of it returning, either. Needless to say I'm delighted.

Bonnie forgot anything ever happened:

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:03 am

Thanks for the update. Looks good!

33 posts