buccal pad separator emergency

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:59 pm

Help - they're stuck in the pig's mouth. Anybody had this experience before?

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:16 pm

Ack! Did they break so that they won't squeeze in to remove them? I hope you get them out soon.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:27 pm

not broken - stuck

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:28 pm

Poor pig. I have no experience with using them myself. I hope you can unstick them soon.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:41 pm

eff it - I'm going to have to go to the ER, and it's at least an hour away.

How can this be?

Anybody?

rshevin

Post   » Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:50 pm

I've never used buccal pad seperators myself but all I can imagine is the pig got nervous and has contracted the muscles in his mouth and is holding the instrument in there. Try to stay calm and try to get the pig calm, perhaps going into a dark room. Sit there together for a few minutes and then try to gently ease the instrument out. If you can, you may also want to wiggle, gently of course, to release any suction that has occured between the cheeks and the pads. The emergency vet is not a bad idea of course.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:31 pm

Are they the ones on the teeth or the cheeks? Can anybody give you a hand? Are the teeth wedged in some way?

I have to confess that I was never brave enough to use the buccal pad separators I got on any of my pigs. I suppose this makes me a whimp.

I am so sorry you are having problems with them.

Fweeprluvr

Post   » Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:15 am

I just found this and just e-mailed you, but if you check here first and need help, just call me. I don't know anything about them, but would be glad to come help if you need someone.

klynne

Post   » Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:48 am

Holy crap.

Mum, what happened? I hope all is well now.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:52 am

We're back from the ER.

I want to make sure everyone is warned about this:

These are the separators I got from Vedra. I put the first one in the pig's mouth, turned it horizontally, and it went into position as it was supposed too. Except that it was trapped on both sides. I slipped one side of the other separator in to see if I could ease the one stuck in there out, and it too slipped right in and stuck.

I tried to get it out for an hour, and eventually realized it wasn't coming out.

The wonderful ER vet, who I've seen before and knows about guinea pigs, had to actually cut the separators off, inject the pig with Lidocaine, cut under the chin and take them out. They'd pierced her like a fish hook

I'll post pics of the separators (in pieces) tomorrow, but the curve of the ends was rough, and there was a small gap in the middle of the curve. That's the part - we think - that did the damage.

All I can do now is to hope the mouth doesn't abscess. This pig has been on Doxy for some days for pneumonia, but I had stopped the Baytril after 4 days because she wasn't tolerating it. She's now back on both a/bs, and I just hope I can get her through this.

Fweeprluvr

Post   » Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:00 am

Geez Mum, how scary. Poor baby pig. If it isn't one thing it is another, huh?

I still don't understand how they work. Was her mouth stuck open? Was she freaking out? Has your heartrate returned to normal?

Fweeprluvr

Post   » Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:02 am

Will you contact Vedra about this?