Beautiful girl dropped, I'm crying...

Sparkles N Daisy

Post   » Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:12 pm

Could you keep Izabo in a smaller C&C until she heals? Just baby her with treats and such. That is good that you got her to the vet so soon.

I'm suprised the vet mentioned euthenasia. At the worst, I would think amputation (God forbid). Certainly there are many a happy tripod.

I know it is an emotional experience, but try to stay positive.

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:14 pm

My vet would have splinted and/or done surgery to correct it. Are there any other vets?

PauloF

Post   » Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:17 pm

Any X-rays taken? I do agree with Josephine, it should have been splinted.

Euthanasia should be a last resource only, amputee pigs are known to have quite good lives.

I hope she recovers fine, though, with no further complications or medical treatment. Keep her confined in a smaller cage so she doesn't have to move around too much. There is a good chance for she'll heal fine, and have a great life.

It was an unfortunate accident, don't beat yourself for it.

Amy0204
We miss our sweet Oreo

Post   » Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:21 pm

Hopefully, this story will help. Nutmeg broke his hip badly, right near the socket when he was 6 months old. Our vet who is pretty cavy savvy told me that their bones usually do knit back fast; we were given the option of surgery but her professional opinion was that the outcome wouldn't be much different and it would cause Nutmeg stress and pain. We opted to just keep him quiet. I sectioned off the C&C he shares with Panda so he had a 2 X 2, gave him his pigloo and didn't try to pick him up for about 2 weeks. At that point, he started moving around a lot more. I don't think I removed the separators for another 2-3 weeks, but within several months, Nutmeg started running around. He'll never be quite as agile as he once was. He still popcorns but not as often and he runs, but not as long. But he's alive and happy.

I hope that Izabo ends up the same way.

WICharlie

Post   » Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:56 am

The vet said it was impossible to splint the break where it was.

He did give me metacam, but he wanted me to put two drops on food as a way to give it to her. I asked him about giving it by mouth with a syringe so I could measure the exact amount, but he said it came in a dropper and couldn't be measured (LV said I was right...that's a really dumb way to administer medication).

She was so scared after the trip to the vet last night, there's no way she would have eaten a piece of lettuce with metacam on it. So I took LV advice and put the drops right into her mouth. That way I know she has taken it.

I used a petstore cage bottom and grids to make up a small cage and put her favorite hidey in it. She did come out and eat hay last night and I heard her drinking water from the water bottle.

I wished I knew a vet that was more knowledgable than this one, but it's the best one I could find. The vet I take my cats and dog to knows practically nothing.

smiley
Just Do It

Post   » Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:03 pm

Poor girl, glad she is eating and drinking. Good thoughts to heal that break.

luvmypigs2

Post   » Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:37 pm

There might be different types of Metcam bottles, but I pop off what looks like the dropper top and use a syringe to dose my Metcam. Tess with the head tilt is on 1.5 cc a day.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:58 pm

That's exactly what I do with my Metacam.

And the same dosing.

Amy0204
We miss our sweet Oreo

Post   » Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:53 pm

Honestly, the splint might not be necessary. I can't explain the physiology, but the bones do find there way to each other and mend in many cases. Minimize picking her up and holding her for awhile. That can cause damage (just the wiggling around or lifting her the wrong way). As hard as it is, put her in the new cage, take her out for meds, then instantly return her to let her rest. Time may take care of it.

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:00 pm

I guess I would trust him if he said it could not be splinted. There was one group of pigs rescued all with old broken legs. One was assessed and it would have had to been rebroken and splinted (I think I'm remembering right). Otherwise they just heal the way they heal and arthritis could set in eventually. Metacam is good for that. They get around fine.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Wed Aug 23, 2006 4:10 pm

Hmmm... All the Metacam bottles I've ever used come with a dosing syringe that fits on the end of the bottle and likewise, then another syringe end fits into that for precise dosing. I can easily use a 1 ml syringe and get any amount under 0.2 ml I want!

rshevin

Post   » Wed Aug 23, 2006 4:21 pm

My vet gave me pre-measured syringes of metacam with 0.05mL in each with small caps on the end. The technician had measured it out for me because it was such a small volume. I think this was to prevent me from having to buy a whole bottle for only 0.25mL of total medicine. This was a pretty small pig, emaciated male rescue, around 700g.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Wed Aug 23, 2006 4:30 pm

Tess with the head tilt is on 1.5 cc a day.
I think you mean 0.15cc/day!

klynne

Post   » Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:39 pm

"Broken femur. When I left the vet's with her this evening, I felt about as low as low can go."

Oh, hey now--this is all part of it. I firmly believe we who rescue and foster are given very important lessons in order to help the next one in need, and so as to pass on knowledge to others.

There is a reason and a purpose as to why this happened. Try to let go of the guilt and see it in this light instead.

I once had a bunny break a jaw badly on my watch. (I dropped something and startled him and he ran headfirst into the wall.)

Could I have prevented it? Heck, dunno. Maybe I could be perfectly coordinated and never drop anything. Maybe I could have locked the bunny in a padded cage 24/7. I remember beating myself up, but eventually came to realize why it happened.

I now have knowledge about stasis, malocclusion, handfeeding, orthopedic surgery, incisor trimming and filing, and incision care--knowledge that I can and do pass on to others. My vets now know not to automatically recommend euthanasia for rabbits with broken jaws. They learned how to do the surgery. The emergency clinic in this town now accepts rabbit clients with a consult--which they never did previously. I've personally helped two other bunnies with broken jaws recover since.

Sorry to go on so long, but the point is, you are probably supposed to learn something here that will help other pigs in future. Hang onto that positive thought.

Well wishes to your girl.

glade
Even Republicans Give!

Post   » Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:42 pm

My boy blue broke his leg and cracked his hip joint. He was only about six months old at the time, and the situation is very similar to what Amy posted. We opted against surgury, used pain meds and confinement, (no splint) and he is just fine today, years later. No limp, just a slight bump on his hip.

Here he is in his tiny confinemet cage, a couple days into it. You can see the swelling.

luvmypigs2

Post   » Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:32 pm

Mum- Yes, thanks! That is what I meant. It's been one of those days.

Fweeprluvr

Post   » Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:39 am

I have one pig that just freaks whenever she can, and especially when I am not expecting it, and when I am returning her to the cage. There have been a couple times when she has done flips in my hands and for a few moments I felt like I was a pig juggler. Scares the crap out of me (and probably her) and I am just so lucky that I haven't dropped her. I have to sit down and restart my heart right afterwards. Just part of dealing with pigs I guess. Don't be down on yourself, what is important is you are getting her care and drugs.

I wonder if that is why they originally called them pigs, because they can be like greased pigs to handle sometimes.

mammabear66
With a Touch of Insanity

Post   » Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:49 am

Don't beat yourself up. Most of us lose our hold on a piggy or two, especially when we are new to piggies or the piggy is new to us. It is a scary learning experience.

One thing that helps me a lot with my two jumpers (I have dropped each of them once) is to turn their back on the cage and lower them into it backwards. If they cannot see where they are going they will not struggle as much. Or, if I am not at an angle where I can comfortable put them down backwards, I will toss a washcloth over their face long enough to set them down. That way they still can't see.

There are lots of options before euthanasia.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:38 am

I'd be very, very surprised if it didn't knit. It may not knit perfectly, but it'll knit.

She may (or may not) have a limp, and she may (or may not) be more prone to arthritis as she ages. But she should be fine. I'm not a vet nor vet tech, but that's just my gut hunch from what I have read and others' experiences.

The Metacam should help. Actually, she should be in pain for a shorter period of time than she would with a sprain or other soft tissue injury.

amy m guinea

Post   » Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:53 am

I like what klynne said.

Sometimes I cup my hand over a pig's face while lowering him into the cage and this calms them.

These accidents will happen when we are caretakers! I'm hoping for a complete recovery for your girl.

109 posts