Beautiful girl dropped, I'm crying...

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:01 pm

Poor old girl. Are you smelling any odor that might indicate a urinary tract infection?

These days there are quick dry towels, some of which incorporate antibacterial materials. I wonder if something like that might help keep down any bacterial growth.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:55 am

I think that's an excellent idea (both, actually).

In my experience (only), loose beddings (CareFresh, kiln-dried pine) work better for keeping pigs that don't move around much dry. They are also harder to walk through/walk on, though, so that doesn't help encourage an animal that already doesn't move much to do so. It's a toss-up.

WICharlie

Post   » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:23 pm

Izabo has been doing okay since I posted last and I have clipped her and given her several butt baths without incidence.

I think I'm losing her tonight though. She's acting strangely. Instead of walking (away from my hand like usual) she keeps rubbing her head down on the fleece and NOT walking at all. It's almost like she's trying to lay down, but her back half won't respond accordingly. I just gave her hair a clip yesterday. I hope I didn't hurt her somehow.

As long as she doesn't appear to be in any pain, I'm not rushing her off to the vet. I know this seems strange as we always try to beat it into everyone's head to get a pig TO the vet if it seems to need medical care. She's a 9 year old pig though. She deserves to die at home where she is most comfortable if that is what is happening.

Why the heck does this have to happen on Thanksgiving though? My brother passed away on Thanksgiving in 2001. My mother passed away on Thanksgiving in 2006. What the heck is it about Thanksgiving?

She's a good, sweet girl my Izabo. Sigh.

sef1268

Post   » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:43 pm

Hi, WICharlie. I'm sorry to hear that Izabo is behaving strangely. Really wish I had something useful to suggest, but just wanted to let you know I'm thinking of you both. You have had more than your fair share of tragedies on this day. Fingers crossed that Izabo improves.

Crazy4me

Post   » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:35 pm

Something always comes up on the holiday that you just don't want to happen; I am sorry to hear about Izabo and I respect and understand your decision as I would do the same thing and see what happens, I wouldn't want to stress her out more then what she is now.

Cinnabuns Legacy

Post   » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:13 pm

I am so very sorry WICharlie.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:09 am

I am hoping for the best for Izabo.

Bytxlaura
Remembering Nemo

Post   » Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:28 am

Fingers crossed.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:19 am

I think you are doing exactly the right thing. Unless she is in severe pain, make her comfortable, keep her warm, safe, and loved.

My very best to her and to you.

WICharlie

Post   » Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:36 am

That was my plan, Talishan, but this morning she is still alive and in really horrible shape, so I'm going to try to get her in to the vet as soon as they open.

I'm sad, but I'm okay. I knew this day was coming and I've had to put down several pigs while involved with rescue. I've had seven great years with her and I'm going to keep reminding myself of that. I have been so lucky to have her and to have her for that long.

BamBam

Post   » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:27 am

Thinking you.

I've done it only once. So, so hard.

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:41 am

:( I'm so sorry. I hope you can get her in somewhere today so she can be at peace.

Crazy4me

Post   » Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:03 pm

I am so sorry WICharlie:(

Bytxlaura
Remembering Nemo

Post   » Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:48 pm

:-( *hugs*

Noellium

Post   » Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:30 pm

Hugs to you. I'm so sorry.

LS in AK
Upside-down & Backwards

Post   » Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:15 am

So sorry to hear of Izabo's decline, and your Thanksgiving tragedies.

WICharlie

Post   » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:08 pm

Thank all of you for your kind words and support. I got her in right away in the morning because I had to go take care of my Dad that day and didn't have any other time.

Izabo is the very first pig that I decided to adopt years ago when I first started volunteering for the rescue. Mostly because I wanted to make sure she had a good life after I accidently dropped her and broke her leg. But also because she was a shy, sweet and beautiful girl.

I still have Prudy. Prudy is very much a people pig and likes to be held and scritched, so I intend to give her a lot of attention and hope that she is okay without her "next-door" friend. I'm planning on redoing her cage and giving her a 2x6 so she can have plenty of space to tear around (and the change of scenery will do her good).

Bethie
Still supporting in 2014

Post   » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:59 pm

I'm sad for you, WIcharlie. But you gave Izabo a great life.

Peace old girl. There is light over the Bridge.

I think there is a thing about November in WI. We lose a lot of family, too. Auntie died on Thanksgiving this year.

Crazy4me

Post   » Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:39 pm

I am sorry WI Charlie; it must be something about November in Wisconsin like Bethie said and something bad always happens on the holiday. I had no idea that you volunteered at the rescue and I think that resuce is no longer around if I am correct; to bad maybe someday we GLinkers in Wisconsin can get something going around here, I sure would be interested.
Rest well Izabo, and safe travels to the Rainbow Bridge.

C Cole-Chakotay

Post   » Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:40 pm

I'm sorry to hear about Izabo.

109 posts