GI Upset

rshevin

Post   » Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:16 am

Another day of not much change, but no improvement. His urine has gone back to being bloody, but his weight is constant (although he hasn't yet regained what he lost). I cry when I hold him now, but he's getting lots of snuggles and lots of pellet mush.

I feel like I ought to be doing more for him. The only thing I know of to do immediately is maybe get some glucosemine. The last bottle I bought, he hated and refused to take (I bought it because I worried his weight would predispose him to arthritis). I have to say though, it was nasty and I agree with him. He's eating hay and veggies like a real champ, and of course the pellet mush with wheat grass toppings. I have critical care, in case. I don't have metacam unfortunately, but I do have liquid ibprofen, not that I think he needs it just yet.

He doesn't look bad other than needing a butt bath (tomorrow) and a face wash. His eyes are bright and he begs, but I can tell he doesn't feel well.

So :;sigh:: I am just venting to the great world of GL because I'm worried about my baby.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:23 am

I'm sorry Piggy is not improving and bleeding again.

For what it's worth, when I had Lady Bug on glucosamine the one is Used was Cosequin or some spelling like that. I got it from her vet and it is the one used for cats. She liked the taste. Do you think it might be worth a try for Piggy?

It was dosed at 1/2 capsule a day.

Sending good thoughts.

rshevin

Post   » Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:09 am

I saw you mention that about Lady Bug, and the Cosequin I saw was meat/liver flavored for dogs and cats. I saw a horse option, but didn't note the flavor. Did she actually like the meat flavor or maybe she had another kind?

I've never tried a tablet. I could check the children's section of Whole Foods. I had that liquid we talked about here for a while, in the red and blue bottle from Walmart. Yuck. Neither of us liked that one. I have my own glucosemine in tablets but the binders looked like they'd be bad for stones. I forget what it was, but didn't agree with me.

I gave a little cranberry diluted in Pedialyte. He didn't love it, but took it without too much struggle. (I couldn't even get the glucosemine in him and I'm a good doser!)

Bugs Mom

Post   » Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:49 am

I would sprinkle half a capsule on a wet favorite lettuce leaf and the first couple of times I got the "what's this" reaction but by the third time she actually liked it. Silly pig!

I was not too thrilled with the animal product either but since they don't make this stuff specifically for GPs I didn't figure that small an amount would hurt her. Her doctor specifically recommended this particular products as cats can be so fussy but generally like this stuff. In LB's case, it worked.

rshevin

Post   » Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:54 am

All glucosemine is an animal product (it's made from shellfish). It was just the flavor I was concerned about. I'll see what I can find at the store.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:58 am

I didn't know that. Shows you how much I know about this stuff!

It's too bad you are not here in the Bay Area now. I have Meloxicam I could give you. I have a 100ml bottle for Bug and since she's only dosed at 0.15ml per day, I'll probably wind up throwing a lot out. I would gladly give you some.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:18 pm

Sprinkle capsules for small dogs

While we're sending you stuff, I have a bottle of the stuff above I'm not using right now. Email me your snail mail address if you want some of the capsules to try.

We were using it for Spikey and she loved it mixed with a little Pedialyte. I would mix 4cc's of unflavored Pedialyte with one capsule, and give her 1cc of that mixture once a day.

Bugs Mom, you are very generous. Metacam has a very long shelf life, though ... hang on to it and you will have it when you need it (i.e. at 2:30 a.m. and you can't find an ER vet that knows jack about guinea pigs).

Bugs Mom

Post   » Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:34 pm

The box says it expires 12/17/08. Will it last longer than that? The LB takes so little of the stuff that if someone else can use some I'll share. : )

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:13 pm

"Will it last longer than that?"

In reality, yes. Maybe not months and months and years, but it will remain functional for at least a little while past that.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:14 pm

OK, thank you.

rshevin

Post   » Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:45 pm

You guys are the sweetest things ever. I was able to get some glucosemine/chondrotin/MSM capsules at Whole Foods today. I mixed the contents of one into pellet mush, and Piggy ate it up so it must not have much flavor. There's even a vegetarian version, but I didn't buy it as it looked very bioengineered and unnatural (a "fermentation product") and wasn't a capsule anyhow.

I do believe my vet will give me Metacam if I call. I know there are some appetite suppressing actions, so that's why I haven't been more proactive in that department. There's a vet on site even on Sundays.

Today has been a little bit better day for Piggy than yesterday. His urine was light in color and he's eating hay. It is mama who's nerves are shot!

Bugs Mom

Post   » Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:59 pm

Glad to hear Piggy took his medicine! Good boy, keep it up.

Piggys mama, brethe deep and relax for awhile. Maybe while Piggy is taking a nap!