GI Upset

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:18 pm

Ditto Momo.

I'm tempted to drive over there and get you some Bactrim at gunpoint, but that probably wouldn't help. :-p

rshevin

Post   » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:48 pm

Talishan, thankfully I have bactrim now, after a rather heated discussion with cephalexin doctor telling me I was "being difficult." The thing is, the surgeon who we're seeing tomorrow doesn't know I have it. He would only prescribe baytril but we couldn't really talk as he was out of town and calling into the office. Harder to argue with him that way. Piggy just had his 2nd dose. The doofus doesn't like the taste. ::huff::

rshevin

Post   » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:55 pm

Piggy has lost a little weight today. Not a whole lot for him (he fluctuates a lot) but enough to worry mommy. Will someone please explain why pellets soaked in Pedialyte is ultra yummy but regular pellets from the same bag aren't?

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:49 am

Perhaps soaked pellets are something special - like a treat that he usually doesn't get?

Piggy may be relieved to know that my Ginny did not care much for Bactrim, either, so he's not the only one! ;)

We are sending more good thoughts for Piggy, and hoping that he continues to feel well, and enjoy hanging out with Smudgie. He is very special!

rshevin

Post   » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:01 am

Today is my surgeon consult. Wish us luck.

This morning Piggy's weight was the same as last night, so no more loss at least. For the first time, he sucked the Bactrim from the syringe! I guess it changed flavors magically overnight. He was happily munching hay when I woke up and had his wet lettuce and pellet mush.

Last night we snuggled together on the couch like we used to do back when he was an only pig. He happened to pee and it was NORMAL PEE! No blood, no tinge of blood. I'm sure there would still be traces on urinalysis, and I have no reason to believe the stone has passed, but at least we're on the right track.

Halva
Supporter in '10

Post   » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:27 am

Glad to hear he is doing a bit better. I have been worrying about the little fellow.

Good luck for later today.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:37 am

Hoping he keeps doing better. Best luck later today.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:02 am

Good news! I hope things go well today.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:32 pm

"Will someone please explain why pellets soaked in Pedialyte is ultra yummy but regular pellets from the same bag aren't?"

Because Pedialyte has dextrose in it.

Would you prefer Shredded Wheat or Frosted Flakes (or maybe old-fashioned high-fat lots of sugar and raisins granola, the good stuff)? If you need to eat period, I'll take option #2.

Let us know how things went today.

rshevin

Post   » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:25 pm

I just got home. The vet appointment went well. Once I described Piggy's exact experience with Baytril, he didn't argue with me at all. Maybe this will help him start truly believing that Baytril intolerance DOES happen, it isn't always a "coincidence" related to the condition the Baytril is treating. Piggy wasn't sick when he took Baytril (long story) but he sure was after.

Anyway, he had an xray and the stone is about the size of a BB so definitely not going to pass. I'm to continue the Bactrim to get the associated infection under control and then surgery will be on Thursday. I picked up a packet of critical care to have on hand, just in case.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:27 pm

Good thoughts here for Tuesday. Good that you now know exactly what is going on and what things look like.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:39 pm

I am glad that your vet visit went well, but am sorry that it doesn't appear that Piggy can pass the stone on his own. I hope he continues to feel well.

Sending good thoughts for Thursday!