GI Upset

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:09 pm

Well, then phone the vet in the am and insist on bactrim :-)

Be sure you just get an rx for the pediatric suspension. It's cheap, and it lasts for ever.

rshevin

Post   » Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:16 pm

That's exactly the plan. The "lasts forever" aspect is the only reason I even took these old meds from my dad. See, I remember SOME things you tell me Mum! They don't have an expiration date, but the issue date is 1997.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:42 am

I'm so sorry that you and Piggy are dealing with a stone. I am sending good thoughts and healing wishes for him. He is so adorable.

I have filled prescriptions for the pediatric suspension of Bactrim at Walgreen's. I think it was grape-flavored.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:33 am

I think it was grape-flavored.
Yup, that's it!

Topaz

Post   » Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:42 am

C'mon Piggy. Get well for your mama. She's worried.

rshevin

Post   » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:17 am

::sigh:: It's morning and nothing has changed. Piggy's still eating and lounging the same as ever. The vet hasn't called me back yet about the antibiotics. The tech asked me "is he vomiting?" Um, no, guinea pigs can't vomit. She kept banging something while on the phone with me so I have no idea if she even wrote it down. I'll have to keep calling back. I want my baby to be ok. I just don't know what the right answer is to help him be ok.

cavyslave8
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:10 pm

I'm sorry I don't have any medical advice but I'm thinking of you and Piggy. I know how much you love the little guy.

rshevin

Post   » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:40 pm

Thank you cavyslave.

I'm still waiting on calls back from both vets. I suppose I can't really do anything until I get off work anyway. My "regular" vet seemed very cool with prescribing an antibiotic over the phone and asked me which one it was I didn't like that the other vet gave me. Seemed to agree cephalexin was a bad choice.

rshevin

Post   » Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:08 pm

ugg, so BOTH vets called me back at exactly the same time and BOTH of them are insistent on giving me friggin Baytril even though BOTH have records showing his stasis as a result of that med when I first adopted him. ::sigh:: I campaigned SO hard with this one vet and she said "look this is getting really difficult." WTF? She's acting like she's never called a medicine into a pharmacy before.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:10 pm

BOTH of them are insistent on giving me friggin Baytril even though BOTH have records showing his stasis as a result of that med when I first adopted him.
Oh for god's sake. How hard is it for them to call in a prescription - how absolutely incredibly annoying.

rshevin

Post   » Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:23 pm

Mum, it just makes me want to dissolve into tears. If I weren't at work, I probably would. Finally the "this is getting difficult" doctor called me back and agreed to call the medicine into the Publix. She seems SURPRISED they carry this medication and surprised I knew the concentration of the standard pediatric suspension. Obviously, she's never logged onto GuineaLynx. I don't think she's ever called in a prescription to a pharmacy before. She told me Baytril was the absolute only thing they had on hand in a small enough dose and compounding cipro was the only other option that existed, period. What's up with all this nonsense?

Oh, and the bactrim is going to be FREE at the publix. I'm guessing the docs at this vet get profit sharing on prescribed medications. The surgeon has been much more understanding on his Baytril intolerance but is out of town for a funeral today. THAT I can sympathize with. Hey, if I get 2 rounds of ABs from 2 different vets, someone told me "it lasts forever." I'm very carefully waiting until I have this medication in my hands before I cancel the surgery with "this is getting difficult" vet. I hate being difficult, but Baytril might kill Piggy if he's already compromised. He was perfectly healthy the last time he took it and ended up in stasis on cisapride and simethicone, not pooping for something like 3 days.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:31 pm

How long it will last will depend how long it's been on the shelf. Be sure to ask the pharmacy what the expiry date is on the bottle it was poured from!