GI Upset

rshevin

Post   » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:03 pm

Thanks for taking another look guys.

Tracis, yes it reminds me of Moe's foot but not severe! There's a tiny dot in the center that I can't feel nor scrape with my nail.

Mum, this is the main reason I asked the vet to double check even though he thought I was crazy. He has good energy levels these days and his weight is much better (which may contribute to the former). I've considered some homeopathic ways to help blood pressure, but don't trust them. Next time I need hay I will be buying KMs pellets for the low sodium if he'll eat them. Last time he ate them only reluctantly. Also his lighter colored ear doesn't have dark margins so that's good. I am watching for all the symptoms closely.

Maybe I could pitch a huge fit and get a med trial, but it would be difficult at best. I guess all I can do is wait and hope it never gets worse. True bumblefoot scares the fool out of me since baytril really seems to be the indicated med and Piggy can't take that. He only barely tolerated the Cipro. I can't tell you how glad I am that other foot was a spur. I think he tore it begging on the coro so that's now covered with report cover spines.

This little dude is going to be the death of me if he weren't so darn cute.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:52 am

For what it's worth, I can't say baytril is the best med for it.

I hope you can get him sorted out!

rshevin

Post   » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:16 pm

Alright, who remembers me saying Piggy was going to stay at a healthier, lighter weight? Somewhere around 1200g?

I see a few hands in the crowd.

SOMEONE was feeling a little snugglier, pop him on the scale, and guess how much he weighs this month.

Um, maybe it's the experimental treats this week? I swear he doesn't get treats or excess pellets. I guess he's just a heavy pig. More to love.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:19 pm

How fantastic! It's so good to hear Piggy is no longer a "lightweight". You go Piggy!

rshevin

Post   » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:20 pm

But but but, he's chunky at 1200g! I'm glad he's healthy but I don't want any extra load on his heart as he ages. He's not young anymore.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:25 pm

It's a good cushion if he gets sick though. You know how fast they can lose weight and go downhill. As long as he's active I wouldn't be overly concerned. I actually wish my little one weighed just a bit more.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:38 pm

Alright! Alright! 1460 here we come! :-)

For what it is worth ... our overweight ones have gotten that way on hay (so blame KM). They don't eat pellets to excess and don't even seem to mind if they are limited or the bowl empties. They eat no more or no less vegetables than everyone else. They consume inordinate quantities of hay.

rshevin

Post   » Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:01 pm

I always give them piles of hay. Right now we're out of both Oxbow and KM so it's yucky Kaytee for now. I'm waiting for KM to restock so I can order pellets too and see if the lower sodium helps Piggy bladder wise. He still excretes LOTS of calcium.

Excreting calcium isn't necessarily bad because it gets out of the bladder, but apparently lower sodium prevents calcium from exiting the blood into the urine at all so that's never bad to try since a high quality, lower sodium pellet is easily available.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:05 pm

I hate to say this, but the yucky Kaytee may actually help Piggy for now, if you really don't want him to see 1460 again.

rshevin

Post   » Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:14 pm

I didn't know if this was the best place to post this or what. My mom was talking to Piggy's vet at a local animal fundraiser (my mom gossiping with my vet is one of the reasons I hate small towns, but whatever) and he said he'd just gotten back from a "conference about stones in guinea pigs." Makes me wonder if the UC Davis / Oxbow study is finally ready to be released.

If hay makes them gain, why is Smudgie still barely 950g despite hay being his absolute favorite food? He is so funny. He RUNS up to the loft when I put fresh hay up there, even abandoning veggies in the process. Sweet little Smudgie.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:17 pm

" ... why is Smudgie still barely 950g despite hay being his absolute favorite food?"

Because Smudgie has a metabolism I would die for. ;-)

Vet gossiping: you might want to stick a note in the Bladder Stone Study thread -- I think that's worthwhile information:

http://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewtopic.php?t=31543

rshevin

Post   » Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:23 pm

If you're ever over this way, you'll have to come meet the boys you've helped so much. Piggy stinks like boar butt, but he's the chubbiest, loviest little thing you've ever seen. Smudgie pancakes out on your chest, falls asleep, and then pees on you. Wait, I'm not making them sound very desirable am I? They really are total loves.

I'll copy the gossip over there. Next time I'm in, I'll ask directly. My mom doesn't relay information very well so I couldn't ask questions. All she knew of the results was "it's mostly diet, most people aren't as careful as Rachael." Well that's not exactly news to us.

rshevin

Post   » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:28 pm

Did Piggy just have a seizure or REM?

He's laying beside me in the "sofa box" (under bed bin with fleece and towels). His eyes were wide open and rolled about 1/4 of the way DOWN to the lower sockets, not "up" into the ventral side of the skull. His ears were flapping like when they week something fierce.

He is laying normally now and is able to be easily roused. Anything I can check?

Bugs Mom

Post   » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:34 pm

I hope it was just REM. I know Lady Bug sleeps deeply sometimes and her ears flap so I know she's dreaming but she usually sleeps with her eyes closed.

rshevin

Post   » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:37 pm

If it's any additional information, Piggy usually sleeps with his eyes OPEN. I know because the only time he bites is when he's asleep and I didn't realize it.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:40 pm

I hope Piggy's ok. I guess all you can do for now is just watch him and see if it happens again. How scary for you.

rshevin

Post   » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:43 pm

It's too late to edit my original post. I stupidly forgot to mention that Piggy's eyes were jittering about, it wasn't just his ears flapping that caught my attention. They didn't seem to be jittering randomly but rather nose to rump, generally. I didn't try to rouse him during the event as I was too busy watching him, but he seems ok now. I dunno

GP Estates
Supporter in '08

Post   » Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:16 pm

I had a pig once who slept very deeply, eyes half open and rolling around, ears and feet twitching. It seemed like REM sleep to me - oh and he was hard to wake in the midst of it. Very strange behavior for a prey animal if you ask me. He did it all his life as far as I know, I don't know what to think about it a pig doing it for the first time at Piggy's age.

rshevin

Post   » Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:21 pm

I don't know what to think either (obviously, since I posted). His eyes were rolled down the same way he does when he sleeps, but I've never seen him twitch like this. So odd. I'll keep a close eye on responses until we have to hit the sack here.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:36 am

My Goldie did this once or twice - scared the hell out of me. But she was fine!

633 posts