GI Upset

Bugs Mom

Post   » Mon May 18, 2009 2:38 pm

Any drug store and most large supermarkets carry it.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Mon May 18, 2009 5:27 pm

Is it the Oceans stuff you can buy for your nose?

rshevin

Post   » Mon May 18, 2009 7:43 pm

No, that stuff doesn't have the right concentration of salts. I'm also not sure it's sterile. What you want is made for contact lenses but it's the PLAIN, old fashioned stuff. Nothing about "no rub" or gets the protein out or anything like that. This is the stuff you use with heat disinfection or to wash off modern storage solution if you have sensitive eyes. If it costs more than $1 and small change chances are you have the wrong stuff. It's a large-ish bottle, probalby 300mL or so.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Mon May 18, 2009 10:57 pm

Thanks. I was trying to imagine squirting Oceans in my eye and it wasn't appealing.

rshevin

Post   » Tue May 19, 2009 9:04 am

Piggy's eye is starting to look cloudy so we have a 3:50 appointment with the vet today. I'm not sure how I'm going to make it there from work but I didn't want to wait until it got infected and nasty.

Anything I should ask about other than the obvious?

rshevin

Post   » Tue May 19, 2009 7:21 pm

Well, Piggy has a great big ulceration on his cornea. :-( Ironically though, the vet sent me home with the one ointment I already had, terramycin, and said to keep him on the metacam. No big deal though, the stuff I have is sort of old. But poor Piggy! The scratch is huge.

Bytxlaura
Remembering Nemo

Post   » Tue May 19, 2009 7:31 pm

Oh my! poor Piggy! I hope he starts healing fast.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Tue May 19, 2009 7:44 pm

Sending good thoughts for Piggy, and I hope he has a speedy and uneventful recovery.

He's such a good boy (not even making a fuss).

Bugs Mom

Post   » Tue May 19, 2009 7:57 pm

Owie! Poor Piggy. I hope he starts feeling better very soon.

Brenda B

Post   » Tue May 19, 2009 8:01 pm

ouch! Poor Piggy. Hope he heals fast!

rshevin

Post   » Tue May 19, 2009 10:18 pm

It's amazing to me how he has absolutely no reaction to what would have any human pretty much debilitated in pain. We go back Saturday morning for a re-check to see if the ulceration has healed enough to allow safe application of steroids. Poor guy is exhausted.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue May 19, 2009 10:27 pm

Oh, I'm so sorry. I remember one pig (maybe you do too) with a severe laceration. I think Tracis has some pics and links in the Records forum.

I hope it improves!!

rshevin

Post   » Tue May 19, 2009 10:42 pm

I'm glad I got him into the vet today and didn't try and wait for a more convenient appointment. I knew right when I came home from work yesterday that he wasn't getting better and needed to go in. My poor baby pig. I'm also glad I had metacam in the house. I can try and take some pictures if you'd like but it's sort of hard to see without the fluorescien stain.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue May 19, 2009 10:56 pm

Oh Lord. I'm glad you took him in and hope he has an uneventful recovery.

Keep him in dim light if you can for a while (this tip from one of my old vets for a similar injury). It should help keep him a little more comfortable, though it doesn't sound like that's an issue (thank goodness) right now.

rshevin

Post   » Tue May 19, 2009 11:50 pm

Dim light? Ok I can do that. I'll keep the blinds closed during the day. They don't black out so it'll be bright enough for the pigs and bird to know it's daytime and hopefully non-glare.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed May 20, 2009 12:37 am

If it's kinda dim-ish daylight, that should be perfect.

rshevin

Post   » Wed May 20, 2009 9:33 pm

Thank you Talishan. He does seem more comfortable when I put his medicine on in a darker room. I'll keep the room dark and hopefully he'll be comfortable. He's seriously still bright eyed and "bushy tailed," greeting me when come home, eating well, acting happy. Pigs are WEIRD.

cutemomomi
Obey My Authority

Post   » Thu May 21, 2009 1:17 pm

Owie owie.
Poor little Piggy.

rshevin

Post   » Sat May 23, 2009 1:20 pm

We went for a checkup today and the vet said the abrasion is healing up, though not completely. I'm supposed to keep up with the terramycin and metacam and bring him in next week if I don't see continued improvements. I'm not sure how to tell that though, as it's very difficult to see the scratch without the fluorescein. He's still sensitive to light so it's very hard to hold his eye open and get a good look.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sat May 23, 2009 9:33 pm

Sensitivity to light is a good indicator of healing.

Eye injuries can take a while to heal. As long as you see slow improvement and no sign of a setback (pain, infection), just keep going.

633 posts