Excessive weight gain

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:40 pm

You are doing the right things. I am so sorry it is difficult to keep the weight on him. I wonder if a little wheat germ might be appreciated.

Kallie

Post   » Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:22 am

Thanks Lynx, it is certainly worth a try. He is on such a tight diet since he is so prone to stones.. maybe that is part of his problem too? I'm just guessing at this point, because I really don't have a clue on what to do anymore.

Right now his daily diet consists of unlimited timothy hay, 1/8th of a cup of Oxbow pellets (which he rarely finishes), 2 mouthfuls of endive, 1 leaf of red lettuce, a tiny slice of both english cucumber and red pepper. He's been on this diet for approx 3 years now and has had no issues with sludge or stones since. Even the slightest change to his diet - such as giving him a tiny treat of fruit, brings on the sludge.

I feel guilty because sometimes it seems like I'm depriving him of so much food wise, but deep down I know it is for his own good. It's a darn good thing he's so cute, because he stresses me out more then my kids do!

Bytxlaura
Remembering Nemo

Post   » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:47 am

You handsome baby! Please put back those grams!

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:57 am

Yes, experience with this. The only thing I've found to help (at all) is Critical Care, and/or servings of pellet stew.

We have one that gets pellets softened in water mixed with carrot baby food twice a day, plus a big helping of greens along with. It's helped a little. He's still losing weight. I got him in May, 2006 and he was an adult then so he is minimum 7 1/2 years old, probably more like 8+. He behaves, however, like he's about 15 months old. (Our vet calls him Steven Tyler.)

Bony butt, the whole 9 yards. My only guess is that, like some humans, the food processing system becomes less efficient and they simply cannot eat enough to maintain their weight, because their bodies are not using the food as efficiently.

Kallie

Post   » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:24 am

That makes total sense, Talishan. I will try leaving some Critical Care in his cage during the day when I'm not around to see if that helps. Maybe if he picks at it, he won't bloat so easily?

Strange thing is, I have done nothing yet to his diet and he gained 13 grams yesterday!? He wasn't quite as active as normal, so maybe that has something to do with it? I would prefer it I guess him being a bit skinny and active, then lazy and chunky which isn't good for his heart or hips.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:14 am

Taylor (a/k/a Steven Tyler, a/k/a Flopmop, a/k/a TrancePig) is on heart medication (benazepril only); carprofen for arthritis, and a tiny amount of metoclopramide daily just to keep things running well. (I found this real helpful with another senior as well and the vet was cool with it.) He also has a cloudy mass of ??? in his bladder -- vet isn't sure if it's sludge, grit, a tumor, IC, or what it is. He's not a good surgical candidate so we're going to leave well enough alone until or unless it becomes a real problem. It bothers him not at all until he passes frank blood and chunks of tissue; this has happened three times, scaring me into next week each time but all he did was take it easy for a day or two. It didn't even seem to hurt him. We give him orange juice if this happens and it helps.

He sleeps a lot, deeply; his eyes roll up in his head and he twitches, but when he's active he's REAL active and REAL hungry. It's almost as if he can't get enough food to maintain his weight.

He's on a fairly low dose of heart med, but if I give him more than that he becomes listless and inactive, as if it's lowering his blood pressure too much.

Taylor's weight will fluctuate like that. I'd be willing to bet those 13 g may just have been some feces needing to come out and once they did, he was back to the previous weight. Less activity could also account for it.

Kallie

Post   » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:03 am

Talishan, Timmy is exactly the same way. If we increase his heart med he becomes a little rag doll all day and all he wants to do is sleep. If I keep him at .02 he wanders around the place or his cage like he is only middle aged. Some days he is very hard to wake up and has scared us a few times. He usually sleeps with his eyes closed and twitches like he is dreaming. If he falls asleep on me, he is very relaxed, eyes closed and no twitching at all.

He will pop corn the odd time, but he gets laughed at because it's more funny then any cartoon!

With his xray, his bladder was very clear which even surprised his vet. No sludge or anything, which for stone boy is amazing!

One thing I have noticed lately is his "tail" has finally grown back. Before he got this abscess, he had a patch of hair on his backside that would be a few inches longer then the rest of his hair. When he got sick it all fell out and stayed the same length as his hair. Now it is back and is approx 4-5 inches long and drags behind him. He also sheds a lot more though, but no bald spots or anything.

So it sounds from what you're saying, is this weight issue is quite common for seniors, which is a relief for me because I'm not anywhere near ready to lose him yet.

iastate09
Supporter in '15

Post   » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:39 am

Kallie, my 7 yo boar lost weight the last year or so he was with us - neither us nor the vet could figure out why - he was eating normally, acting normally, nothing showed up at exams. We finally surmised that it was just his age, and he was younger than your boy. He also received Critical care at least once daily. I agree with Talishan, it seemed like his system just wasn't processing nutrients like it should have.

Best of luck to your Timmy! (Pictures of his tail are needed for proof! :) )

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:46 am

We had one like that. We called it his train. ;-) If it's grown back that to me is a very good sign. MO only.

Kallie

Post   » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:34 pm

Sadly we had to put Timmy to sleep this morning. I posted about it in Cavy Chat for those interested. He would have been 11 years old on Sept 10th 2013. Sleep well Mama's boy, you're deeply missed.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:37 pm

Oh, I am so sorry, Kallie. What a wonderful long life he had with you. I know you will miss him.

Crazy4me

Post   » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:57 pm

I am so sorry for your loss Kallie.