Excessive weight gain

Kallie

Post   » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:44 pm

That was one of the first things I asked about at the beginning of January, as well as last night when we saw these xrays and was assured he doesn't have elongated roots. In fact, she said his roots look really good. I will certainly ask Dr. Munn to have another look at all the xrays again (there were approx 8 or 9 in total) and see if she notices anything.

Salana and Lynx, if you want, you can copy my images and mark them where you think you see the problem and I will print them off and bring them with me Saturday morning when Timmy goes back for his follow up. Either repost them here or send them to me through the mailer.

Thanks so much.

zazzified

Post   » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:08 pm

Oh my gosh, your poor piggy! Good luck to Timmy! Those pictures break my heart.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:26 am

Feel along the jaw bone. If it is bumpy, the roots are elongated. I think Pinta contributed some xrays of elongated roots (I am in no way a veterinary professional so I only have her advice and what I've read here to go by):

https://www.guinealynx.info/elongated_roots.html

Lovemypig

Post   » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:08 am

It hurts seeing Timmy like that. Thank goodness he has you and you have a competent vet. I'm so sorry. Good thoughts go out to both you and Timmy.

Kallie

Post   » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:05 pm

Thanks everyone for your good thoughts for Timmy. Today was a fairly good day for him, he managed to eat a good size dinner tonight and actually gained 2 grams by the end of the day.

He's even moving around quite a bit more including up and down the ramp to the hay loft. We leave hay for him on the main floor, but he rather sleep in that instead.

I'll update again tomorrow after the vet appointment and let you know what is said about the possibilty of elongated roots.

Lovemypig

Post   » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:25 pm

Whew, when I saw you had posted, I was afraid of what you would say. Great news about the weight gain!

Kallie

Post   » Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:43 pm

Timmy did very well at his appointment this morning. There was a bit of pus still in the hole, so we were given Hibitaine ointment to put in the hole after each flushing. He also had his Tramadol extended for another 5 days to help control his pain. We also added Cisipride because he isn’t pooping that much yet despite the hand feeding and full salads he’s now eating.

We talked at great length about his roots, and yes, they are elongated. The way she explained it to me last time made me believe they weren’t. What I know now is they are elongated and look good.. as in they aren’t causing him any pain or discomfort. How long it will stay like that, we don’t know. She confirmed though that his roots aren’t growing into his nasal cavity or through his chin. She showed me all the xrays and I’m confident that he should be fine with his roots for now. We’ll of course be keeping a very close eye on him.

Lovemypig

Post   » Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:13 pm

Thanks for the good update. Scritches (gentle) to sweet Timmy.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:13 pm

I think the elongated roots page mentions the chin sling and overplaning the teeth.

Kallie

Post   » Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:16 am

It did Lynx. I printed off copies for both myself and Timmy's vet. I'll be doing quite a bit of research ahead of time and hopefully will be fully prepared for when any intervention is needed. For now, my time is consumed with getting him over this hump and back to good health.

Timmy was in very good spirits last night. We hand fed him before bedtime and he was acting like his goofy little self. I'm going to try taking photos of him today so I can keep track of his progress. He gained another 7 grams yesterday, so hopefully he'll have another good day today.

Kallie

Post   » Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:45 pm

Some photos taken today of Timmy's hole. I think it's starting to look fairly good.

I love how his little curls show up on the next photo making it kind of look like he's wearing a wig.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:26 pm

I'm glad you are seeing improvement! Do you have any larger pics? You can sometimes crop larger pics so it looks like you have a closeup.

Keep on getting better, Timmy!