Excessive weight gain

Kallie

Post   » Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:43 pm

Timmy seemed a bit more energetic this morning, though not by much. Right now I'll take any little bit I can get. We're heading to his appointment in a few minutes, so I will update you when we're back.

Kallie

Post   » Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:41 pm

We just got back from Timmy’s appointment and it’s not very good news. He has a couple small new pockets of pus under his chin, as well as the deep corner of the original big pocket is full of pus. The deep corner is the one spot you can’t get very well with flushing. Also because the pus is so thick, a drain won’t work.

He will go back to the vet’s tomorrow for the day so he can be put under with anesthetic and have a very good cleaning and scraping done. We’re also going to switch his AB to something else to see if that helps, as well as extend his Tramadol for at least another 5 days since he is still in so much pain. All other meds will remain the same for now.

Oh and the screaming is being caused by both pain and nerve endings starting to heal. My nerves and heart can't handle his screaming.

Lovemypig

Post   » Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:44 pm

Oh no. I'm so sorry to hear this. Poor little guy. I hope the new pain meds will help him significantly and that tomorrow's procedure will be just what he needs. I'll be thinking about y'all tonight. Timmy. :(

Kallie

Post   » Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:33 pm

I was so wrapped up with remembering all the details of Timmy's appointment that I totally forgot to mention that the black colouring I mentioned is actually bruising. This is such a relief.

Right now he's snuggled up in his cage for the night. We're not going to do any flushing tonight to give him a bit of a rest before his big day tomorrow. Keep your fingers crossed that everything goes well tomorrow. I know I won't be getting much sleep the next couple of days, but he is so worth the sleepless nights and stress!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:37 pm

Poor little guy! I am so sorry about the pain he is in and the new pus (I know this is hard on you both). I hope you can get things back on track.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:27 am

I'm sending good thoughts for Timmy, and hoping that things go well at the vet's office. He is such a handsome guy.

Kallie

Post   » Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:08 pm

Timmy is home from his vet stay. A few changes to his meds, some good or encouraging news, and some not so good news.

The not so good news first: Timmy has “dry socket” where his molar was removed. It’s been cleaned out, had AB beads put in and stitched up. The root of the tooth behind the molar that was removed was slightly elongated from his last xray, so Dr. Munn trimmed the root and molar a bit since she could access the root through the hole left by the missing tooth.

She also checked the holes where she had to drill through his jaw. The AB bead she put in there during the first surgery didn’t dissolve any, so she broke it up and put it back in the hole, then stitched it up as well.

Now for the good news: The surgery took approx 1 hour and he woke up from the anesthetic much easier this time. She was able to clean out the big pocket of the thick pus and saw quite a bit of pink tissue inside, meaning he is healing. She mentioned the pocket is a little smaller already, which is great. Also, the 2 lumps under his chin she thought were new abscesses are actually scar tissue, which is a big relief for me.

Timmy’s AB Baytril has been switched to (sorry don’t know the full name) Sulfa/Trim, which will hopefully bring any more infection under control. His Metacam was increased to 0.15 and he’ll remain on Tramadol until he no longer needs it. He’ll also remain on the Cisapride and Oval until he starts pooping again which the vet thinks will happen once the pain is more under control.

He will go through another surgery 1 week from today to clean everything out again, and every week afterwards until things are healed enough and no signs of new pus or infection show up.

Until then we continue with the hand feeding and flushing etc as before.

Lovemypig

Post   » Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:07 pm

I opened this thread with one eye closed, crossing my fingers. Whew. Not so bad news! Sulfatrim (sp?) sounds familiar to me. I need to look over my old thread.

Wow, that's alot to go through, for both of you. I really hope that the surgery will now provide some relief for him. I hope he's resting comfortably right now and everything goes better from here on out.

I'll bet you are exhausted. Good thoughts tonight for Timmy who I just adore.

Kallie

Post   » Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:21 pm

Thanks Lovemypig. You're right, I'm exhausted, but it's worth it knowing that despite some setbacks, Timmy is improving. He ate a bit of dinner tonight and is right now snuggled up on my youngest son. He will soon come up to bed with me. I managed to get approx 2 hours sleep last night, made it some how through work today, and the cycle will repeat itself tonight. But until then, we'll do what we have to in order to keep Timmy comfy and get him healthy again.

I'll give him a kiss for you!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:30 pm

I am hanging onto the good news and hoping things continue to improve. Sounds like you have a good vet. I am sure she wants him healthy again.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:32 pm

Bless you for all you are doing to help this little one.

Kallie

Post   » Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:23 am

Timmy is doing quite well since his last surgery 2 days ago. He’s gained 37 grams since being home which is awesome. He was very energetic this morning and was even eating his salad much faster. Oh and he was doing a bit of popcorning this morning!
Still not eating crunchy things, but that’s okay for now. Now only if I can get him pooping properly I’ll be very happy.

By chance does the pain meds (Tramadol and Metacam) cause constipation in pigs as some do in humans? I’m wondering because last night while he was laying on me, he started doing this weird thing with his butt, like he couldn’t get it comfortable. He kept lifting one side up then the other with force, shifting only his backend quite a bit and whining. I first thought he was having a seizure, that’s how weird his backend was moving. He was obviously very uncomfortable for a bit. This lasted approx 2 minutes.