Excessive weight gain

Kallie

Post   » Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:36 pm

Viper, I'll ask for sure. Yes, he also gets a 1/4 capsule of Acidophilus twice daily, 2 hours after each dose of AB.

Timmy is very spoiled, he's always received nightly body massages before bedtime. In fact all my animals do, including my cats. I took a pet massage therapy course a couple years back and have been using it ever since. I will try the heat though. I don't have a heating pad, so will use a fairly flat hot water rubber bag (sorry can't remember what they are actually called) instead.

All I can say is thankfully Timmy is awesome and when he's feeling good he will take his meds one syringe after another without any problem. Same with the hand feeding, if he's feeling good, he'll sit there and let you do what you need without complaining. On bad days, like us, he doesn't want things shoved in his face and will resist everything making the process ten times harder.

Vipergurl88

Post   » Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:45 pm

Aww, Timmy is VERY spoiled! :) I love it when people are so devoted to their pets.

Hopefully the hot water bottle will help give him some relief. Sweet little guy deserves a break, as well-behaved and handsome as he is!

Kallie

Post   » Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:05 am

Viper, Timmy thanks you for the nice compliments and support.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:06 am

Kallie, your devotion to him and the work you're putting into his care are just awesome. Kudos to you.

Lovemypig

Post   » Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:46 am

C'mon, Timmy. Feel better soon.

Vipergurl88

Post   » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:21 am

Aww Timmy! Feel better soon sweet boy! Tell mom to give you plenty of gentle hugs and kisses for me.

Kallie

Post   » Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:15 am

Timmy is having such a great day today! He’s full of energy, eating lots of leafy hay and didn’t give me much of a hard time with his morning flushing. He doesn’t seem to be sleeping as much today either, which is great. He also managed to gain 4 grams on his own over night. If he keeps this up, he’ll be in great shape for his 3rd surgery on Thursday.

I wanted to thank everyone for their encouragement and support regarding Timmy’s health and care. It means a lot to me. Like Timmy, I have my good days and bad days. Bad days I tend to doubt myself in how I’m taking care of him, especially after I found out he’d need a 2nd and 3rd surgery, and possibly a 4th. I at times even doubt my decision to have the original surgery done knowing the risks and what he would have to go through to get fully healthy again. Reading your good thoughts help pull me out of that slump and makes facing the day easier. Deep down I know I made the right choice for what was best for Timmy, but it does get hard to remind myself of that sometimes when I see how he reacts to the flushing and when I see his neck everyday.

In September 2006 when we adopted Timmy as a part of our family, it was the best thing I ever did. He’s brought so much joy to all of us, including his fan club. I will do what ever it takes, no matter the cost to make him happy and healthy again. I can’t imagine not having him in my life. Timmy just has this very special place in my heart.

Lovemypig

Post   » Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:48 am

The fact that he's obviously feeling better tells you that you made the right choice. It's hard with these little guys, as most of us know. Extra scritches (or whatever he can handle right now) for my sweet Timmy. Kallie, you are doing a fantastic job.

Kallie

Post   » Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:30 pm

Thanks Lovemypig, I am really trying. Looking at his face, how can anyone not try?!

Kallie

Post   » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:30 am

Timmy ate a whole baby carrot this morning! First time since the beginning of January that he hasn't needed shredded carrots.

Lovemypig

Post   » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:48 am

What a milestone! That is great, great news Kallie. Timmy's still scheduled for surgery on Thursday, correct?

Kallie

Post   » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:10 am

I know, I'm so proud of him. It seems like such a silly thing to be excited about, but after seeing him struggle so long with his eating fresh food but especially crunchy food, I can't help but get excited for him.

Right, Thursday is his 3rd surgery. I think he'll be in good shape for it, he's gained quite a bit of weight and has a fair amount of energy this time going in, so it should help him with the recovery.

The infection smell hasn't been as strong the last 2 days and his large pocket doesn't seem quite as loose, so hopefully the surgery will be short this time around. We did the flushing this morning and there was no trying to escape and no screaming! Surely that has to be a good sign that things are improving.