Tea Tree Oil

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:31 pm

Ah, geez. Here I was excited to have another male member on the forum. Sorry, I can't support such treatment for many of the reasons listed above.

Peter Gurney, may he rest in peace, had numerous dangerous treatments listed on his site. I understand wanting a more holistic approach, as I continuously am researching and using many holistic treatments, but there are safe and dangerous treatments out there. People should inform themselves with proven medical documentation and knowledge of physiology, not word-of-mouth breeder treatments.

Tea tree oil is indeed toxic. There are much better options. Fungal infections by and large are secondary problems, so not only does the fungus need to be treated (topically is best and safest), but the underlying cause needs to be resolved as well.

pogolysmom

Post   » Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:50 am

What other underlying causes are you referring to? My pigs are kept in clean dry bedding that is changed often. My house is not humid. Is there another underlying cause out there that I'm not aware of?

Wheekers3

Post   » Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:39 am

I think we would need to know more about the symptoms.

You say a fungal infection and that is about it, I believe. If you have said so, please re-inform.

What makes you think it is fungal in nature? What does it look like? What is infected? How long has this been going on? We need more info, please.

Do you have a good camera? Can you take a picture?

pogolysmom

Post   » Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:59 am

I'm positive that it's fungal because I got ring worm on my face from cuddling my poor pig. When the site said it was contagious, I didn’t know they meant to humans. Anyway, I had bought my Tina from a pet store (first mistake) around May, within a week, she had a scab on her head between her ears from scratching. I thought that she had run into something and had cut herself. When she was very young, she would run laps around the cage like a banshee. Shortly thereafter, she had hair loss in the same place and I got the ring worm. I treated the site with an antifungal and just as that spot was clearing up, she got a spot on her rump. I treated that and it was going away fine until I left her with my friend while I was on vacation. She didn’t treat the site and when I came back from 2 weeks of vacation, I was back at square one treating the same rump site.

I wish I could figure out how to send pictures. Right now it doesn't look like much other than hair loss because I've kept up with treatment and she has healthy looking skin right now. But, since she is prone to fungus, I would like to know more about "underlying causes". Thanks. Hope this was helpful.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:02 am

Ringworm can also be treated with liquid Program for cats. It works very well.

pogolysmom

Post   » Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:46 am

The dr. had me use 50% bacitracin/50% atheletes foot med.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:43 pm

On the pigs?

Sorry, I meant the Program should be used on the pigs - not the people!

pogolysmom

Post   » Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:44 pm

Silly me... wouldn't it be too strong for the pigs if it is meant for cats?

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:58 pm

You only use a carefully measured part of the dose.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:08 pm

All fungal infections are only able to gain hold during times of immune susceptibility, whether there is another illness causing this, stress, etc.

pogolysmom

Post   » Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:22 am

I think that stress is the best answer for Tina's underlying cause Her whole name is Teeny Tiny Tina. When I got her she was really tiny. My friend who is very familiar with GP weights said that she was too little to be taken from her mother when I got her. When she came home, she kept trying to nurse on my other GP and gave the other one the fungus on her belly. Then when she was taken care of by my neighbor while I was on vacation, it was probably stressful not being in her own home and having another caregiver. Makes sense to me.

Now, her name doesn't fit her. She likes to lounge lying across my whole belly with her legs stretched out on either end of her. Her feet reach from side to side on me. She is a real lover.

Wheekers3

Post   » Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:53 am

Pogolysmom has sent me several pictures:

Here is the Mom and babies, ( Isn't she sweet? )

The three babies: Very cute.

Pogolysmom, I didn't post the one of daughter, in case of privacy. If you want me to, let me know. I wanted ask permission.

-You should try posting them yourself, it is not too hard. :)