Soft poop: what the vet said

rshevin

Post   » Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:28 am

I think you've now superceeded my ability to give any reasonable advice since there are so many here who know so much more than I but I am still reading and thinking of your girlies. Now that several people have said it's ok to give reglan and propulsid at the same time, I see no reason not to give it a try. That's the cool thing about GL isnt it?

klynne, I'm flattered you think the simethicone before motility makes intuitive sense. I have no idea if it's real or not, but I am honestly flattered that even with your bad experience with it you said that.

somechick

Post   » Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:30 am

Yeah, no severe diarrhea, just softer poos and the never-ending gas!

This afternoon I'll just shoot her up with meds. Maybe I'm not being aggressive enough out of fear and I'm actually worsening the situation.

somechick

Post   » Mon Oct 23, 2006 4:46 pm

Okay, just got a call from the vet. The in-house blood test showed nothing, but the out-of-house blood test showed high white blood cells. He says there's an infection so he's rx'ing more drugs: antibiotics. He wanted to put her on Baytril but after the hell I wen through with Sanford not eating on Baytril, I don't know that I want that again. He then said he'd give Zenaquin.

No searches on here showed any results. Anyone know anything? I'm picking it up Wednesday.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Mon Oct 23, 2006 4:52 pm

No idea what it is, and google doesn't come up with any answers.

Why not something like Bactrim, I wonder? Or one of the more commonly used ones.

Be sure you find out exactly what this a/b is before using it.

somechick

Post   » Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:29 pm

I asked about Bactrim and he said that type of a/b won't fix the problem. Google gave me some answers as far as telling me it's an a/b for animals, but other than that I know nothing. I'll talk to the vet of course on Wednesday but I was just wondering if anyone knew anything.

rshevin

Post   » Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:30 pm

Ok I found it. It's spelled ZENIQUIN.

Manufacturer's website:
http://www.pfizerah.com/product_overvie ... species=CN

Active ingredient: marbofloxacin

Not approved for use in humans. Approval for dogs. Currently patented by Pfizer so no generic.

Medine agrees: Evaluation of the clinical efficacy of marbofloxacin (Zeniquin) tablets for the treatment of canine pyoderma: an open clinical trial.

Similar in structure to Enrofloxacin.

I can keep going if you'd like. Someone with good pig knowledge needs to find out if this is safe.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:36 pm

I seem to remember threads where people in the UK used marbofloxacin. Isn't it related to baytril, and if so wouldn't a pig intolerant to baytril have a problem with this?

rshevin

Post   » Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:37 pm

I have no idea. I was hoping you'd know! I'll keep researching while I'm waiting for my new animations to compile for the presentation tomorrow. It's SO nice to finally have something to distract myself with.

Have any other pig medical research that needs doing? I have access to loads of journals.

Edit: As usual, you're right mum. Baytril is Enrofloxacin. Personally, even if you've had a bad experience with baytril, I'd rather use something better documented than a new antibiotic that may or may not be ok with pigs.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:52 pm

Does sound like it's one of the floxacins (?). There's another one that is sometimes prescribed too.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:57 pm

Isn't Clavamox one of the newer ones that's sometimes prescribed?

rshevin

Post   » Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:03 pm

I'm looking them all up but you're thinking of Cipro probably.

rshevin

Post   » Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:06 pm

Here you go:
Ciprofloxacin - Cipro
Gatifloxacin – Tequin(?)
Levofloxacin - Levaquin
Lomefloxacin - Tequin(?)
Moxifloxacin - Vigamox
Ofloxacin - Floxin
Sparfloxacin - Zagam
Trovafloxacin – Trovan

Mum, No, clavamox isn't for pigs (given to cats all the time though)
Clavamox - amoxicillin trihydrate/clavulanate potassium
Manufacturer: http://www.pfizerah.com/product_overvie ... species=FL