Soft poop: what the vet said

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:45 am

I haven't used Propulsid, but I've used the other 3 at the same time.

rshevin

Post   » Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:04 pm

Using propulsid with regalan makes me nervous at least. Hopefully someone else will come along that knows more.

somechick

Post   » Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:07 pm

We can't figure out what PC's deal is. It's like she got gassy and then, well, that's it, that's how she stays now. The good thing is that she acts 100% normal. But we still can't have gas pockets and icky poo.

It should seem that the Propulsid would take the place of the Reglan. Obviously the Simethicone & Reglan together aren't getting the job done so we need something else. Hmm.

rshevin

Post   » Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Maybe give the propulsis (aka cisapride) and simethicone combo a shot for a day or two? Make sure the reglan has had time to be out of her system.

Have you tried sitting her down for a discussion on proper behavior and how not to scare mommy by acting sick? (joke)

somechick

Post   » Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:17 pm

Oh trust me, I've told PC that she needs to knock off the crap because see what happens? You have to go to the vet and get blood taken and get drugs you don't like. SEE!? You have to be fondled by some strange man!

She just looks at me all, "Pfft. I like being gassy, so there."

Ughhh enough already.

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:27 pm

You can try Charco Caps for intestional gas too if simithicone is not working. I wouldn't worry about making sure the reglan is out of her system as cisapride and reglan can be used together.

rshevin

Post   » Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:29 pm

Holly, that was actually the bigger question, using cisapride and reglan together. Her vet recommended it, but no one else had used them that way before. Have you?

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Sat Oct 21, 2006 4:42 pm

One works on the upper GI tract and the other works on the lower GI tract . I used both together on a rabbit but not a pig. I think they can be used together in extreme circumstances but it increases the side effects and is not something I would do haphazardly. I'm sure vets have differing opinions and some would not risk it (as I found with my rabbit). Since I know they have been used together before I wouldn't worry about one being cleared significantly from the system before the other as long as some time elapsed. For now though, unless she seeks a different opinion (perhaps email Josephine?) I would use one OR the other, trying cisapride if reglan wasn't effective.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Oct 21, 2006 4:49 pm

Depending on what is wrong, that combination can help.

rshevin

Post   » Sat Oct 21, 2006 4:56 pm

That's good to know Holly. That sounds like a reasonable idea to me.

somechick

Post   » Sat Oct 21, 2006 5:42 pm

Ok so far it seems like NEITHER the simethicone nor the reglan are helping. Perhaps I'll try the simeth/cisapride for now and then switch to the charco/cis combo.

Holly - one does one get the charco caps? Do I give a full tab or make it into a paste or what?

Also I don't know where to get a second opinion since I already went to stupid vet, now I'm at great vet (he fixed Sanford fast and quick), and I don't know where to go to next.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sat Oct 21, 2006 5:57 pm

How long has it been since she had fresh veggies?