Soft poop: what the vet said

rshevin

Post   » Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:49 pm

Cisapride also may (or may not) be somewhat difficult to obtain since it has been withdrawn from the human drug market except in cases of "documented need." Whatever that means. My vet seens a LOT of exotics of all different species so they keep it on hand. I suppose I'm lucky. I have no idea what flavor they compound it with, but that pig sucks that stuff down like candy at Christmas. I can hardly get the syringe back!

somechick

Post   » Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:21 pm

Ok. I also called the vet and he said it's definitely not "bloat" as I'm reading it here. He actually thinks her case is quite mild. She's definitely gassy, but he isn't concerned that she's not going to make it or anything. He also said he doesn't think an x-ray is needed becase, like you said lisam, she is pooping so were not dealing with something major.

I'm sure shes louder because the vet is making a balloon out of her sides. Poor thing.

I'll check the concentrate of the Simeth. when I get home. The reason I've only been doing it 2x/day is because I thought his recommendation was high. But maybe PC is REALLY gassy. I'll also try the gas-med then reglan and see if that makes any moves.

And I hope I never HAVE to commit dosing to memory! After this past month I'm done! :)

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:32 pm

Read over the dietary advice on the diarrhea page. Some things will promote gas. You want to avoid them.

www.guinealynx.info/diarrhea.html

klynne

Post   » Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:37 pm

Mum said:

"Klynne, I can appreciate your dismay to find that the cure was causing the problem with your pig, but I think it's risky to throw simethicone out of the medicine cabinet."

I posted, above, and prior to, Mum's post:

"Somechick, I would not discontinue Simethicone as directed by a vet; I'd just try to find an alternative brand."

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:43 pm

Klynne, sorry, my post wasn't disagreeing with you - rather, I was discussing the issue (as you know I sometimes like to do)!

somechick

Post   » Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:27 pm

Yes, I'm keeping an eye on the Simethicone anyway just to see if it's relieving any of the gas. I don't want to make the issue worse.

I don't see dietary advice on the diarrhea page. I mean, I see it says not to feed milk and yogurt, but that I'm not doing.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:34 pm

No veggies until the problem has cleared up.

rshevin

Post   » Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:10 pm

There are some veggies that can cause gas so after her poops are back to normal, still don't give things in the cabbage family like kale, broccali, brussle sprouts, cabbage (duh). Generally the same things that cause gas in humans.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:37 pm

Look at the bottom of the page. Overgrowth of bacteria, removing carbs, etc.

somechick

Post   » Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:51 pm

Gotcha.

My pigs are very picky and woudn't think of eating anything in the cabbage family :). PC only seems to eat romaine, green/red leaf, escarole, parsley, dill, carrots, and peppers. Anything else I've tried she turns her nose up at. Tsk tsk. She won't even eat fruit for a treat.

Oh and on my Simethicone it just says liquid 30mls. But on the Reglan bottle it says 5mg/ml.

rshevin

Post   » Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:41 pm

Hum, well that I hope means it's the same as the stuff you can buy OTC for babies, mylicon. Just for a reference it's Simethicone 20 mg (in each 0.3 mL). I had to look it up. Google knows all, sometimes.

I sure hope she gets to feeling better.

somechick

Post   » Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:46 pm

Yeah, the vet said "it's the same stuff they treat babies with, it's harmless" and once I saw it say simethicone, I thought "oh ok".

She acts like she's feeling fine, she just needs to get some normal poopin!

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:36 pm

Simethicone really isn't a "drug" in the sense we usually think of it. Simethicone works by breaking small gas bubbles down into one large one, which is then passed (or burped, depending on the species). The total surface area of the large bubble is much less than the total of all the littler ones, so it creates less discomfort inside an animal (human included).

The action is mechanical, not pharmacological (??? sp on that one). To see this, take some old-fashioned manual dishwashing liquid, mix with water and make a bunch of bubbles. Drop some simethicone on the bubbles and watch what happens.

That's why it has a pretty wide margin of safety and wide dosing range. In our experience it either works beautifully, literally within seconds, or doesn't work at all.

Please be cautious with Cisapride. It's a stronger drug than Reglan, and can be more effective. It did one of ours more harm than good, though, before we stopped it. It produced perfect feces -- and then, he nearly had a seizure from it. He was laying on his side, breathing shallowly, with nystagmus. We stopped it immediately and he recovered, but that was scary.

somechick

Post   » Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:45 am

Yikes! Well I'm doing the simeth/reglan combo now and we'll see how she looks tonight. I guess it might be possible that the simeth isn't doing anything because it clearly didn't work within seconds because she's still gassy.

Should I be suggesting something else to the vet to expel the gas?

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:57 am

Have you completely stopped giving veggies?

somechick

Post   » Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:17 pm

Well, as of your last post I have. None this morning (supplemented with vit c though). I will monitor her through the weekend. I didn't fully stop before because I thought only certain vegs caused gas and that some leaf lettuces woudln't be an issue.

But I'll get rid of all of them and distract her during veggie time instead.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:35 pm

Good idea.

klynne

Post   » Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:38 pm

Oh, I know Mum, I just know sometimes, with all the heart pigs and butt cleanings, you have to read quickly, and I thought you may have missed the part where I was saying NOT to throw out treatment with Simethicone.

Feeling really unmotivated and have a busy few days, probably really should look up those links with the warnings about the borborygmi type gas induced by the sugar alcohols, but, realistically it ain't gonna happen til at least next week unless somebody lights a fire under me.

Australia has some good studies, though, if you care to look yourself, and Whole Foods and GNC here in the US have some info on it. Basically, the US does not have to put warning labels on the sugar alcohols unless the product is actually *labeled* as "Sugar-Free," and/or if the percentage exceeds a certain amount. One of our usual mucked-up pieces of consumer legislation.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:12 pm

"...and that some leaf lettuces woudln't be an issue."

Usually, they aren't. Usually.

We have one older female (best guess is going on 5) that can't handle lettuce pieces larger than a couple of square inches at the time. Any larger, she gets lethargic, puffy, and gassy-looking. She can handle apple and carrot just fine, however. Go figure.

somechick

Post   » Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:43 am

PC isn't getting less gassy. Now we have: Simethicone, Reglan, Propulsid, and Nystatin. Vet says to give all 4. Really? Is all four a good idea?

602 posts