Soft poop: what the vet said

somechick

Post   » Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:41 am

Thanks rshevin! I pretty much got "real bad infections" out of all of that. The insulin thing seems weird and unrelated to anything we were treating. I do think that if the Coccidia was caught sooner, this might not have ended this way. I wish Dr. Stuart told me to do multiple fecals and not just stopped when the first one showed nothing.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:55 am

And the clostridium would certainly have caused problems.

The diabetes it the surprise, no?

somechick

Post   » Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:03 pm

It is, but what would have told me that she had diabetes? Her glucose levels were normal (81) on the blood tests we took. I don't understand what OTHER than that I would need to look at to find diabetes. Anyone? So I know in the future.

Also she was on Flagyl up until the end which should have covered the Clostridium. Maybe taking her off that did her in too.

luvmypigs2

Post   » Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:43 pm

Did your vet give you a "layman's" explanation of the necropsy?

somechick

Post   » Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:30 pm

Yeah, I posted that on the previous page.

rshevin

Post   » Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:35 pm

Physical symptoms of diabetes are unexplained weightloss, increased thirst, and excess urination. Some antibiotics mess with glucose levels in human diabetics so I wonder if perhaps they affected her pancreas in some way?

somechick

Post   » Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:41 pm

Yeah, there were never any physical signs of diabetes so when I heard about it on the report it made NO sense to me. Thats when I checked the record of her glucose levels, which ended up being normal.

So what exactly are you saying rshevin? That ab's could not necessarily mess with her levels but actually mess with the pancreas itself?

Fweeprluvr

Post   » Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:41 pm

The pancreas can be affected but not necessarily have anything to do with diabetes. Pancreatitis (inflammation of the pancreas) has nothing to do with diabetes. I have a dog that has chronic low grade pancreatitis, but her glucose levels have always been fine. They have told me that it is possible she may be more prone to becoming diabetic at some point because of the pancreatitis.

I also know that the pancreas is very sensitive, and if anything around it is affected, it can get "upset".

I wonder if the infection could have caused changes in it, of the gas could have put pressure on it.

rshevin

Post   » Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:46 pm

Somechick, I have NO idea if antibiotics affect the pancreas or not. I'd go with the pancreatitis explaination Fweepr is giving.

klynne

Post   » Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:39 pm

Somechick, I know it is soooo hard, but please be kind to yourself and try to stop with the "what if's." I really firmly believe that PC would not have made it as long as she did if it were not for your excellent care and love.

Thank you so much for requesting the histology to be done (the tissue samples that were sent out.)

I have a favor to ask of you--could I get your permission to share PC's histology results with some friends of mine who are trying, along with me, to understand megacolon and other GI syndromes better? I think it would be really helpful to us.

And, most of what was found on PC's intestinal samples is exactly what was found in the past three rabbits studied on necropsy for megacolon. I'm not trying to beat the point to death, just to help you accept that *something* made PC more susceptible, and less able to fight off, these infectious organisms. It sure wasn't anything you would do, and no reasonable person would have thought to repeat and repeat fecals--though in future PC's case may prompt someone else to do so, and perhaps she will save another pig.

Hugs to you.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:56 pm

I also suspect a genetic weakness or predisposition of some sort, especially since she was young. You mentioned once you got her from a rescue, correct? You might want to contact the rescue and see if she had siblings. If so, the rescue may want to contact the people who adopted, or are fostering, those pigs.

What happened to PC, and everything you did to help her, may help some of her family.

sef1268

Post   » Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:39 pm

I agree. Rescue may not know anything about her background, but probably wouldn't hurt.

You've been through so much...I truly hope things get better soon.

somechick

Post   » Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:44 am

I've already talked to the rescue about PC. I'm not sure how much the rescue knows about the pigs.

And I'm not beating myself up anymore, I was just thinking outloud and posting here that *if* we had caught the Coccidia, we might have had a different outcome. I know I did all I could with the information I had. I just wish I had more information. X-ray vision even.

You can share any information about this with anyone you'd like. I post it publically so I could get help and if it helps others, then great.

By the way - my doctor never ruled out megacolon when we started this, but then when the necropsy was done, megacolon wasn't mentioned. I could ask, but I'm assuming she didn't see anything.

klynne

Post   » Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:46 pm

I'm so glad to hear you are not using yourself as a punching bag no more ;-)

And thanks for sharing the info. It's a very unselfish way to help other critters.

Fweeprluvr

Post   » Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:58 pm

If you should happen to acquire that X-ray vision, you would be very popular around here.

klynne

Post   » Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:07 pm

I always feel better after a nebulizer treatment, makes sense.

Keep feeling better, Teddy.

Fweeprluvr

Post   » Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:21 pm

????

Wrong thread Klynne! How the heck did you do that! :)

somechick

Post   » Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:30 pm

Hope this isn't too morbid, but I wanted to post the photo of the little box Piggie Crocket got. I find it to be very very nice. It's a little cedar box with a lock & key, and her name engraved on top. (Don't mind camera flash glare.)

rshevin

Post   » Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:59 pm

Best wishes until you meet your momma and sisters again. Peace on the rainbow bridge and forever love to you, Piggie Crocket, queen of the piggie frontier.

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:07 pm

What a nice box.

602 posts