Soft poop: what the vet said

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:45 am

I haven't used Propulsid, but I've used the other 3 at the same time.

rshevin

Post   » Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:04 pm

Using propulsid with regalan makes me nervous at least. Hopefully someone else will come along that knows more.

somechick

Post   » Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:07 pm

We can't figure out what PC's deal is. It's like she got gassy and then, well, that's it, that's how she stays now. The good thing is that she acts 100% normal. But we still can't have gas pockets and icky poo.

It should seem that the Propulsid would take the place of the Reglan. Obviously the Simethicone & Reglan together aren't getting the job done so we need something else. Hmm.

rshevin

Post   » Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Maybe give the propulsis (aka cisapride) and simethicone combo a shot for a day or two? Make sure the reglan has had time to be out of her system.

Have you tried sitting her down for a discussion on proper behavior and how not to scare mommy by acting sick? (joke)

somechick

Post   » Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:17 pm

Oh trust me, I've told PC that she needs to knock off the crap because see what happens? You have to go to the vet and get blood taken and get drugs you don't like. SEE!? You have to be fondled by some strange man!

She just looks at me all, "Pfft. I like being gassy, so there."

Ughhh enough already.

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:27 pm

You can try Charco Caps for intestional gas too if simithicone is not working. I wouldn't worry about making sure the reglan is out of her system as cisapride and reglan can be used together.

rshevin

Post   » Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:29 pm

Holly, that was actually the bigger question, using cisapride and reglan together. Her vet recommended it, but no one else had used them that way before. Have you?

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Sat Oct 21, 2006 4:42 pm

One works on the upper GI tract and the other works on the lower GI tract . I used both together on a rabbit but not a pig. I think they can be used together in extreme circumstances but it increases the side effects and is not something I would do haphazardly. I'm sure vets have differing opinions and some would not risk it (as I found with my rabbit). Since I know they have been used together before I wouldn't worry about one being cleared significantly from the system before the other as long as some time elapsed. For now though, unless she seeks a different opinion (perhaps email Josephine?) I would use one OR the other, trying cisapride if reglan wasn't effective.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sat Oct 21, 2006 4:49 pm

Depending on what is wrong, that combination can help.

rshevin

Post   » Sat Oct 21, 2006 4:56 pm

That's good to know Holly. That sounds like a reasonable idea to me.

somechick

Post   » Sat Oct 21, 2006 5:42 pm

Ok so far it seems like NEITHER the simethicone nor the reglan are helping. Perhaps I'll try the simeth/cisapride for now and then switch to the charco/cis combo.

Holly - one does one get the charco caps? Do I give a full tab or make it into a paste or what?

Also I don't know where to get a second opinion since I already went to stupid vet, now I'm at great vet (he fixed Sanford fast and quick), and I don't know where to go to next.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sat Oct 21, 2006 5:57 pm

How long has it been since she had fresh veggies?

klynne

Post   » Sat Oct 21, 2006 6:10 pm

Reglan and Cisapride together have a synergistic effect, and can really boost the entire GI tract back into normal function.

Charcoal caps can be found at health food stores or in the homeopathic sections of drugstores.

If you are trying to figure out what is or is not working, I'd only make one change at a time, though, in your regimen.

somechick

Post   » Sat Oct 21, 2006 6:24 pm

Mum - A week on the non-veg diet. The vet said she can have leafy greens since stopping isn't making anything better or worse. So there are veggies today.

Klynne - I see now that one is for upper and one for lower GI, so maybe I *should* follow the vets rules and just dose her up with both. You think? I think I'll leave the Nystatin out for now since we both agree it's gas and not necessarily yeast.

Lets say I do three: simeth/reg/cis. Is there any order of these drugs or timing I should take? I've been doing rshevins thing of giving the simethicone a little before the motility. But should reg/cis be given literally together?

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:14 pm

What did your vet say when she prescribed both?

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:28 pm

Did she do a fecal float and gram stain of the poop?

I wonder if she needs Flagyl?

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:32 pm

1. Ditto Mum.

2. Without (sorry) reading all the way back through -- no ovarian cysts? That's been checked, right?

klynne

Post   » Sun Oct 22, 2006 1:28 am

"Klynne - I see now that one is for upper and one for lower GI, so maybe I *should* follow the vets rules and just dose her up with both. You think? I think I'll leave the Nystatin out for now since we both agree it's gas and not necessarily yeast."

Sorry, sinus meds kicking in and have not read all the way back either. If your vet prescribed both the reglan and cisapride to be used together, then yes, it sounds reasonble to give that treatment plan a try. Using the Simethicone prior makes some intuitive sense, as you're making the gas bubbles easier to pass, then asking the gut to move along and pass them.

Why was the Nystatin prescribed? Fecal showed yeast? If so, I'd say pig needs that too. Doublecheck to see if your vet knows of any drug interactions.

Oftentimes GI things go in vicious cycles, with some microbe or other causing the original issues and slowdown, then the slowdown causes the whole gut flora to have opportunities to get out of whack--and add to that we are usually monkeying around with the regular diet, trying to get food in the pig, and well, you see how it can snowball and get complicated to sort out.

somechick

Post   » Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:16 am

Holly - My vet said to give all four: simethicone, reglan, propulsid, and nystatin. On the bottle it says how many times a day, but I guess I just assumed I'd give them all one after another, but that seems like a lot of drugs at once.

Mum - We did a fecal and blood work both came back normal. Flagyl might be next if these don't work.

Talishan - It's definitely gas because we can hear the hollowness. He said he can't feel cysts in her and she's young (8mo) so cysts are unlikely. I know some of you might think I should dig deeper into this but I don't know that we have a reason to suspect cysts.

Klynne - He rx'ed the Nystatin 'in case'. Yesterday and this morning I did simeth/propulsid. Maybe tonight I'll do the four combo. It's just been too long with all this gas, it's weird.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:21 am

The cysts are possible, although - as you say - not terribly likely at 8 mos.

Millie had severe diarreah caused by the cysts pressing on her colon, which is why it was suggested.

602 posts