Another hooting pig - Llewelyn

rshevin

Post   » Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:06 pm

Phew! Piggy has had what I always thought were sneezes ever since I got him. He's never had a URI (yay!) so suddenly I became paranoid it was heart. I always thought a hoot would be longer than the very brief acute noise he makes. Thank you. :-) Give Mr Llewelyn a kiss for me.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:22 pm

Dr. R. looked at Llewelyn's old heart xray and said that it could be enlarged, although it's in a 'gray' area.

He recommended a trial of heart meds.

I'm hoping this will account for the gradual weight loss. This boy has gone from a 3lb 3 ounces chunky boy a year ago to a slender 2lbs 9 ounces!

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:05 pm

Shoot. I wish our vets would even acknowledge the existence of heart conditions in cavies, much less acknowledge a gray area, much less revisit previous radiographs!!!

Best to Llewelyn. I have a feeling the heart support will help him.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:59 pm

I started Llewelyn on lotensin on Sunday night, and I just saw him popcorning all over the cage!

What an absolute joy to see - and he's not a young pig either.

When lotensin works it really is a miracle.

Tammy

Post   » Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:16 pm

Glad to know he's feeling like a young one again.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:37 pm

Oh cool!

dgarriques
Got Pigs?

Post   » Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:19 pm

Mum I actually get worried when I see this thread come up. So glad this was good news.

After scaring me I think you should post a new picture of little Llewelyn so I can awe over him.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:53 pm

Llewelyn started heart meds on 2/24. Tonight he was racing around the cage and popcorning so hard his hair was standing on end with the static!

It's taken him about 5 weeks to get to this stage, but it's so wonderful to see (and I felt guilty that he only had a 2x4 to race in!).

It's so heartwarming to see the older pigs do the 'zoomies!'

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:58 am

That is great news.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:51 pm

*sigh*

I believe Llewelyn has diabetes. I used a human diabetic testing kit today, and his blood glucose was 197.

He has all the signs: extreme weight loss, thirst, a recent raging UTI, and he appears to suddenly have gone blind.

I've been trying to find out the cause of his slow, but steady, weight loss since last year (teeth fine, xrays fine, blood fine), but this is the first indication that he might have something that could actually be managed. So in many ways I'm relieved.

I'll take him to the vet to have this confirmed tomorrow, and I'm hopeful we can manage this with Glipizide.

(I doubt this can be managed with diet, since the boys get almost no extra sugar due to Heddwyn's cheilitis and impaction. Their veggies mainly consist of mixed green leaf lettuces, with the occasional piece of red pepper).

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:11 pm

I hope Llewelyn's vet visit goes well tomorrow.

I am interested in your vet's dosing recommendations for Glipizide. My vet was unsure about what dose to start with for Ginny, but I'd like to know in case she gets to the point where medication would be more helpful than just dietary restrictions.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:18 pm

I'm going to email Pinta and see if she can tell me the starting dose her vet usually recommends.

My vet won't have dealt with this in guinea pigs before, but he's always very amenable to trying new things - particularly when I can print out information from here to show him.