Request for ARTHRITIS treatment protocols

Bugs Mom

Post   » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:16 pm

Editing above on Lady Bug. She didn't handle the Cosequin well so stopped it. She is on a daily dose of Metacam 7.5mg/5ml. She gets 0.2ml in the morning. She moves pretty well on this dose. Occasionally will need more.

gizzy

Post   » Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:20 pm

Furby ; 8years + / boar / rex

No initial signs , arthritic rear leg joint showed up on an x-ray pre stone opp last year.

Sometimes he has a swollen joint in the morning and finds it difficult to walk till I massage .

I Give no drugs / he is neutered , so he spends approx 9 hours walking round my living room making a nuisance of him self with my free range sows

I find he responds better to exercise , and will only use metacam when absolutely necessary .

Just a foot note , since he has been having extended exercise time , his impaction of 3 years has completely cleared up

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:14 pm

That's great to hear, gizzy. I think activity helps many humans with their arthritis.

Melody R

Post   » Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:18 pm

I took my 5-year old boar (Snickerdoodle) to the vet yesterday, totally expecting the worse.

On Wednesday, I had noticed a significant and rapid weight drop (though he is still over 1000 gms). He was also lethargic, walking funny in the hind end, peeing on himself etc. He would eat his salad (slowly) and hay but that was it, no pellets. He has always been laid back, but not THIS laid back! The change had come on seemingly overnight. No other symptoms to indicate URI. no crusties, no drooling, or anything else I could put my finger on. I notice him chewing alot on his Chube, which could indicate pain (or tooth issues).

I started feeding him CC, pedialyte, Vit C and probiotics since Wednesday when I first noticed this going on. I gave him apple pedialyte, filtered water, cranberry juice (unsweetened). From Wed to Sat he gained back 80 gms, so that was encouraging.

(FYI -- I do weigh him regularly, but this was rather rapid onset. But having his weight chart was really helpful!!!! Also, I could not get an appt at the vet for three days/Wed - Saturday due to the Christmas holidays, hence the food/liquid intervention, which I learned from HERE -- Thank you!!!!!)

She examined him thoroughly, took xrays, checked his heart, his teeth, and everything, and tested for kidney function.

He has Degenerative Joint Disease of both stifles -- in layman's terms, arthritis in both knees (hind legs). He was put on Tramadol and Meloxicam (for pain relief and anti-inflamatory) -- she said to think of him as a former football player - lol.

His heart, his teeth everything else was fine. She found one tiny stone in his urethra but it was too far up for her to get to, and is not causing any blockage at this time. The peeing on himself was because he didn't want to stand up because of his knees.

Almost by the time we drove home, he was immediately back to his old self! WOW - who would have thought!!~!!!

So - take your baby to the vet. I too was expecting euthansia, but instead I got my sweet boy back again! We go back in two weeks for a followup, but I am beside myself with joy!

Today, as I was delivering piggie salads, he was once again standing on his hind legs wheeking for his!!!!

Sometimes I think we think everything is fatal (well, me anyway). In this case, the vet hit the mark and we are doing just fine. Although there is no cure, and it may progress some, it appears he can still live out a normal life free of pain!

CavyCastle
Supporter in '10

Post   » Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:33 pm

I'm still reading up on this and learning. But this is as far as I've gotten.

1 - breed, age and sex of pig
S'more-Broken satin white aby, unknown (guessed at 4-5 years), male
2 - brief description of signs leading you to suspect arthritis
3 - diagnostics done and the results
Very lethargic upon arrival to rescue. Observed and thought heart pig. Took into vet for chest x-rays, found intense calcification of hind hips and knees.
4 - treatment, med and dosage
.2cc Torbugesic (10mg in VAL syrup) every other day with .08cc Meloxicam on other days. Both once a day
5 - results of treatment
Started only last week. Immediate results in greatly increased activity and awareness. He's actually a really loud guy. :)
6 - other med issues
None at this time.

pinta

Post   » Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:09 am

found intense calcification of hind hips and knees.

Do you mean excess calcification? Did the vet check for decreasinhg bone density(tiny pinholes on the bones)?

Sometimes, in satins, the calcium leaches out of the bones and ends upredistriobuted resulting in oddly shaped bones..

CavyCastle
Supporter in '10

Post   » Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:12 am

Thank you for the verbiage correction. In the x-ray, the joints looked, shall I say, double thick. When analyzed, the rest of his skeleton "looked" fine. Hmm, I'll have to ask her on Wednesday about that. Thank you Pinta.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:43 pm

1 - Celia is 5.5 years, a female and I think an American, dilute cream.

2 - she seemed stiff when walking

3 - vet watched her walk and she was sometimes pushing off with both of her back legs at the same time, indicating muscle weakness

4 - .15cc metacam daily

5 - she's more physically active, less grumpy and more affectionate with her cagemate

6 - tendency to soft poops which we treat with small doses of propulsid and by being careful with what food we give her
- cystic ovaries which responded to shots last spring
- 4 cl abscesses drained last spring, from which she recovered

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:11 pm

CavyCastle, there are some other bone disorders like Paget's disease where bone mass is redistributed (can be a thicker jaw).

CavyCastle
Supporter in '10

Post   » Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:15 am

How fascinatingly interesting!! Unfortunately, I didn't have S'more when he was younger, so I have no way of comparing if his bone tissue has been remodeling correctly over time or not.

So, at this point, I need to ask the vet if there is any "decalcification" noticeable anywhere. I've been searching for pictures of guinea arthritis on GL so that I can compare those with S'mores. Know of any off hand? Aside from this, I can't think of anything I can do/research/prepare for the little guy. The anti-inflammatory is obviously helping, so that's good.

Thank you for all of your help. Would you like me to update this after I speak with my vet?

Bytxlaura
Remembering Nemo

Post   » Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:23 am

Yes, please :)

pinta

Post   » Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:50 am

Search out threads on satins and Elvis(Becky as author). Also there is a thread in reference (use Shiraz or paget's disease as search words) Lots of info to be had. Bones aren't supposed to remodel at all.