Request for ARTHRITIS treatment protocols

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat May 01, 2010 9:06 am

Yes, you certainly can. I think you have my email, no?

CavyCastle
Supporter in '10

Post   » Sat May 01, 2010 11:53 am

Yes ma'am. DH just got new computer system, so I'll have to have him transfer the files over for me and then I'll send. I also have Sasquatch's (a cuy/polydactil) x-rays for you. Hopefully, you'll get them this weekend.

SammiD

Post   » Thu May 27, 2010 2:59 pm

Can i ask what arthritis looks like on a xray?

As when I had one of my pigs x rayed for a bladder stones the vet said that he had arthritis in his both back knees and they looked like chipped pieces of bones, as when I first saw the xray I thought he did have stones as they looked like stones near his knees,they were only visible on the side view xray and he is now on metacam twice a day.
The vet a saw was a cavy vet.

I didnt know that he had arthritis but i did notice that he did sometimes 'bunny hop' rather than walk 'normally'. I was also told this maybe the reason why he was squeaking whilst weeing and now he has improved being on the metacam, but still has some occasions when he squeaks but not every day.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Fri May 28, 2010 2:52 am

There are some x-rays of Salana's boar, Jackie, on this thread. She also posted a link to a video showing how the arthritis affected his walk.

Toadies

Post   » Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:58 pm

My intact, American shorthair boar, 5 yo at the time, complained at being held, was less active than usual. He was diagnosed, by x ray, with arthritis in hocks and knees. Initially started with Metacam EOD, SID if feeling worse than usual, and had slight improvement. Started on Cosequin, 1/4 capsule SID, and much more improvement in 2 weeks. Now gets Metacam only if having a really bad day and is now able to go with only a couple of doses a week. Cold weather will probably necessitate more Metacam.

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:47 am

Bibi was 4 when it started, hopped sometimes, held one leg up sometimes, limped, was less active, minimal weight loss, no more popcorning and running.

No vet in Belgium treats arthritis so far, so had to resort to non toxic herbal medication, which took some research. Recalculated the human dosage on the wrapper to piggie dosages, according to Bibi's weight. Dissolved in water.

Dr. Vogel: Altrosan (Harpagophytum), especially for arthritis pain treatment.

Dr. Vogel Alchemilla + glucosamine: it supposes to repair the damage arthritis causes.

The minimal amount I can make lasts about 14 days in the fridge, then it needs replacement.

Within 2 hours of the first dosage, I saw her run at rocket speed again, couldn't believe my eyes. She popcorns again too. She hasn't shown any problem since I started the herbs. I can still raise the dosage if I have to, I started with the minimal dosage.

KiwiCavyAdorer

Post   » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:17 pm

Pigjes, its great to hear! how often have you kept up this medication and how is Bibi doing on it? Do you still use it?

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:09 am

Bibi just died, unfortunately. The xray's are in here and you clearly see the arthritis herbs worked well in her case.
https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewt ... 45#1839145
I kept giving her a minimal dosage for about 11 months till her death.

Lovemycav

Post   » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:55 am

My guinea pig Brownie is male, about 7 years old. Yesterday he was having trouble walking on his right hind leg. Took him to the vet. He got x-rays that show severe arthritis. (His rear right leg was broken many years ago when he had a different owner.) Yesterday he was eating/drinking fine. Gave him 7 units of metacam yesterday and upped his vitamin c. He isn't eating as well today. I know he is getting on in years, but hope he will bounce back. He is such a sweetie and I hate to see him having trouble getting around and obviously not feeling very well.

Agb

Post   » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:38 pm

Piggie is 7 and vet has confirmed arithritis. Here is what I have found works for us:

- a little exercise every day. Not much, but enough to make him get up and move around at least twice a day.

- a bath in the bathtub one a week. About 2 - 2.5 inches of warm water. It helps him to walk around in the bathtub, and he needs it to keep clean from sitting in pee.

- Vet recommended Dasaquin, for cats. He won't take it in food (as it is fish-flavored), but he does take it mixed with Critical Care, in a syringe and given orally. It is glucosamine and does help, if given every day.

- Vet also gave a perscription for Gabapentin, orally. I have only given this to him once, so I don't know how good it is or if it helps.

- No weight loss and appitite seems good.

- Hope this is helpful to others with senior piggies.

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:58 am

Gabapentin? That's strange, as it's meant for neurological issues. I have taken it myself and ... well ... only once, because I had the most awful side-effects. It also made me hallucinate, but not in a fun way. I thought a man was sitting on top of my cabinets at night, although I knew that was rubbish. I can laugh with it now, but it was scary!

Tracy

Post   » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:30 pm

Has anyone tried this for arthritis? http://bunspace.3dcartstores.com/Myrist ... _p_59.html

My Winnie is now 8 yrs + 7 months old and lately has been really wobbley, leaning, back legs giving out, not wanting to walk much. She's on daily metacam but I don't know that it's helping (and am nervous to increase dose, which may affect kidneys). Haven't tried cosequin but just asked my vet about it. Sounds like it takes a while before helping, and not sure we have a while to wait and see! Not ready to euthanize her, but this week she's been struggling for sure.