Flystrike

Gimlipig

Post   » Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:50 am

Perhaps pyometra should be ruled out?
I've been thinking the same thing too. I phoned the vet back this morning and she said just "the full antibiotic hasn't run its course yet and you need to wait until she's done with it to bring her back in."

She isn't the cavy vet, the cavy vet is out with a bad knee so this is another vet in the same office who told me the other day doesn't know anything about pigs. She's been on antibiotic for 4 1/2 days and still got this stuff coming out of her. If it is some kind of maggot invasion or pyometra I don't know if this can wait 5 more days.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:07 pm

Perhaps you could ask the vet if she has some way to examine the pig more thoroughly? If you still have a strong smell, I agree with you that this likely cannot wait 5 more days.

Gimlipig

Post   » Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:11 pm

I just wanted to do a total sum of this pigs symptoms, in case putting them together would help anyone else help her.

Tuesday evening: occasional squeeling in pain. Weight is about 1100 grams. Begin dosing with SMZ TMP Sulfa. Pig appears listless.

Wednesday: Continue dosing with SMZ, trim pigs hair because her bottom is constantly wet. Weight begins to lower and I handfeed and water. Occasional squeeling has all but stopped today. Still appears listless.

Thursday: Still not eating, her bottom is still wet. Vet sees her, shaves her bottom, sees mind urine scalding. During shaving she says she peed really easily. A few red blood cells were seen when urine was put on a slide, but there is no obvious blood coming out of her that can be seen macroscopically. Today pig's behavior seems energetic.

Friday: Pig begins to eat on her own. Acts much less listless. Her genitals appear a bit enlarged. There is a runny discharge coming out of her that smells bad. Boyfriend thinks it smells like "extremely concentrated urine"

Saturday and Sunday: Pig's behavior "seems" like its returning to normal, still eating/drinking by herself, discharge continues. Genitals still appear enlarged. Sometimes when I pick her up it just looks really wet, with a few drops in the opening of her bottom. Once or twice there is a large amount of milky-white discharge on her.

Monday: Same as the weekend. Weight now fluctuating between 1100 and 1080. Vet says to wait longer on antibiotics when asked about concern over discharge. Monday night when I pick her up for medicine and weight she is literally slowly dripping if held up.

Tuesday: Discharge continues.

I'm off to the store tonight to pick up some diaper rash ointment for her. Will be phoning the vet again this evening to harrass/tell them the leaking still hasn't stopped. Will probably demand x-rays and more tests because this is ridiculous. I'm going to keep her out on some newspaper for a little while tonight to see if she is actually peeing or if its just this constant dribble.

somechick

Post   » Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:17 pm

Ever since having piggie health issues I find it increasingly annoying how some vets simply won't listen. One of mine insisted on seeing how the meds work, when they clearly weren't. Your poor pig is leaking when held. I would flip out if the vet didn't see her immediately. But it's also not like you can go down there and physically force your pig on the vet either. It's a shame. Poor thing.

Gimlipig

Post   » Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:22 pm

I'm calling the vet now. I just picked the poor girl up to wash her off with some warm water and chlorohex and her little bottom is so urine scalded its ridiculous.

purrie

Post   » Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:37 pm

Didn't someone have a pig who's genitals were enlarged and it was because she (the pig) was trying to pass a stone?

My fuzzy memory of it was maybe Kleenmama?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:00 pm

I'm thinking a stone or lots of sludge too. Either might cause incontinence.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:34 pm

Stone, sludge, or pyometra might be ruled out.

Poor girl - I hope you get some answers.

Gimlipig

Post   » Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:43 pm

Just got off the phone with the vet. She spoke with the cavy vet who is out sick. She said that we could just wait a couple more days and then take her off the antibiotic to see if its some kind of reaction to the meds doing this. (of which I'm kind of skeptical of)

Secondly, if that didn't work they could do something more invasive. She told me something like a spay would run about $90 and then asked me if I would be willing to spend that much on her. *insert sarcastic comment here*

lisam

Post   » Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:43 pm

Wow, $90 is cheap for a spay around here.

I think they are putting you off. I've never heard of this kind of reaction to the meds, and I bet they haven't either. I'm concerned that the longer you wait, the worse it's getting. A couple of days puts you into the weekend--unless they actually have you scheduled for surgery on Friday you will no doubt end up waiting over the weekend as well.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:54 pm

Ditto Lisam.

I really think she needs to be seen by a good vet asap.

LAWomans
"Live Long and Prosper"

Post   » Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:02 pm

I would certainly be concerned about this vet spaying her. From what I understand it is a very serious surgery. Have you had an x-ray to rule out stones? Or an ultra sound to see if she may have a mass or ovarian cysts?