New rescue: Underweight Boar

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:09 pm

So long as you watch carefully for anything that might indicate he is not tolerating it, you could probably finish the course of griseofulvin.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:13 pm

The thing about griseofulvin is that it does work. If his case is firmly entrenched, so to speak, griseofulvin may work where the others don't, as long as he is tolerating it and continues to do so.

Winnie the Pooh

Post   » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:21 pm

Thanks Talishan and Lynx! I will probably give the vet a call just to plant the idea of Program and other alternatives and see what she says. I will continue to watch Peanut like a hawk and discontinue the Griseofulvin immediately if I see any problems.

Talishan- He's had his share of Nizoral baths. In fact, I posted some pictures of his bath experience a couple weeks ago in the "random photo" thread.

Sorry again rshevin. If this treatment does not work on Peanut, I promise I will start his own "dreaded" medical thread.

rshevin

Post   » Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:42 pm

Smudgie isn't getting any better with regular flushing and terramycin and he's glowing obviously under the blacklight. I called the vet and the one we usually see can't get us in until next Friday, the 22nd. ::sigh:: There's another qualified exotics vet who's younger that we've seen several times that I have an appointment with on Saturday but I suppose I can always call and switch if I'm willing to wait. I don't have a real gut feeling as to who is better. I'm accustomed to the first, older guy. He's the one who did Piggy's surgery. The younger guy though is the one who finally perscribed high pain relief for him and was proactive about trying to do a bladder aspiration, urine culture and such so I don't know what to do.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:28 pm

My gut -- without meeting either vet -- would be to make an appointment sooner with the younger man.

I'd hate to see him wait until the 22nd if he's not getting any better. The other thing is to develop a good relationship with (and train to your specifications ;-) the younger man, who will probably be doing exotics work after the older gentleman retires.

If you really don't like the way Smudgie is handled, then make an appointment with your regular guy.

rshevin

Post   » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:45 pm

That was my thinking too Talishan, so thank you very much for agreeing. We've seen the younger man twice before for exactly this reason, established vet is IMPOSSIBLE to get in with. Always at least 1 week's wait, often longer. The older vet isn't really all that old (probably late 40s or 50) but the younger vet shocked me when I first met him because he's right about my age (and cute).

If we were talking big surgery, I might wait for the more experienced vet (who actually does all the big, difficult surgeries in this large 6 vet practice), but hopefully he can help with the eye. I have several theories, in none of which I'm really convinced.

1. The polyp in his ear is bothering him or otherwise affecting this eye.
2. Teeth, doubtful as ever since he came to me his favorite food has been hay. It was all he ate the first 2 days (poor baby).
3. Clogged duct
4. Ringworm (but would Piggy, me, and Leif all have it??)
5. Other infection

I hope the vet knows!

(P.S. If your cat sits on your mouse, he can submit incomplete posts!)

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:48 pm

6. Some form of genuine sinus problem. Not likely but not impossible.

I'm glad you're having him seen sooner. Not just for the eye, but something's making him glow. Hopefully that can be treated without too much delay in figuring out what it is. Perhaps that's related to his eye difficulty as well?

(Edit: I posted right after your cat did. ;-)

Ringworm can take up to 6 weeks to manifest. It's horrifically contagious but not all organisms (human, feline, cavy) will necessarily get it and not necessarily all at the same time.
Last edited by Talishan on Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rshevin

Post   » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:51 pm

I am suspicious that their grooming fluid naturally glows, many natural things do (urine, semen, proteins in your finger nails and hair) . Piggy has two tiny dots of fluorescence in the corners of his eyes only. Of course the only way to know for sure is to test a pig who's never been around Smudgie as Piggy could very well have the same thing.

So, anyone else on GL own a blacklight and want to check their pigs for me??

Edit: Also, if it IS ringworm, I'm probably going to treat Piggy and my cat prophylacticly. Did you know that cockatiel feathers fluoresce wildly?! I didn't. Very cool.

rshevin

Post   » Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:21 pm

Well, it looks like we may have ringworm after all. Smudgie glows all down the side of his face where the goopy stuff is. Piggy in the corners of his eyes. A couple of folks posted no glow in their pigs at all.

https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewtopic.php?t=47246

rshevin

Post   » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:31 pm

Ok, now that I have a vet appointment, he suddenly looks amazing better. No redness, very little crusty, almost well.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:33 pm

Oh, of course. It's always that way. I swear they know when you've made the appointment.

GuineaPinny

Post   » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:35 pm

Now you can spend more time talking to the cute vet about what it's like being a cute vet :p

Good thoughts to Smudgie.