New rescue: Underweight Boar

poppypiggy

Post   » Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:51 am

Thank you for the picture, rshevin! I didn't come her until now - I am a bit "out of rhythm" with you guys because of the time difference, so my responses are often a bit slow, I guess.

It is such a cute picture! As you know I first saw it on the random pictures tread, but I must comment it again because they both have so sweet expressions on their little faces. That expressiveness is so appealing about guinea pigs, I think! Among other tings. In this picture I think you can easily see that Piggy is the confident one and Smudgie is more shy. But Smudgie *is* smiling! He is such a good little boy! I hope he will become chubby and content in a very short time so his mum doesn't have to worry anymore!

rshevin

Post   » Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:20 am

Oh that's alright poppy. Having a response a few hours later is like getting a present the day after Christmas, totally unexpected and cool because it isn't surrounded by the others.

Guess what though! Just when I was getting a little discouraged, Smudgie had another breakthrough last night. I caught him laying down and resting for the first time ever. He and Piggy were on the fleece in the tent again and this time both were lounging around with saxxy legs. He laid down again on the sofa with me. I haven't seen him laying down at all before!

rshevin

Post   » Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:12 pm

Well, Smudgie seems to be fitting in just fine now. We were watching TV and reading GL and he peed right down my cleevage. He must be comfortable. Blech, comfort is warm and stinky.

poppypiggy

Post   » Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:02 pm

Haha! That one made me laugh out loud! I know the feeling -comfortable indeed! He is for sure settling down, little bugger!

I am in my office at the moment, trying to finish a boring job that involves a lot of computer processing. So when my computer processes, I go to Guinea Lynx and read. After this I can go on with my job smiling!

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:38 pm

Gives a whole 'nother meaning to the song, "Love Stinks". :)

rshevin

Post   » Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:45 pm

Hahaha tracis!

rshevin

Post   » Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:40 pm

Guess who weighed 890g tonight!

Apparently his decreased rate of gain was due to my running out of KMs hay and switching to Oxbow. Another pig's testamony.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:00 pm

Ha! But good news still.

poppypiggy

Post   » Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:40 am

Well, shame on me for laughing! Saturday night Pippi did exactly the same to me. She sat there on a towel on my chest, chatteing like she usually does. Than she suddenly made a few trotting movements, turned around - and I had this warm, wet feeling down my front! Love stinks!

I am so glad to hear Smudgie is gaining weight! Before you know it he is as big as Piggy!

rshevin

Post   » Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:34 pm

Well, I've been meaning to post some pictures of Mr. Smudgie and his tubby tummy and adorable little piggie thighs but haven't gotten around to it yet.

I do have a question. Smudgie seems to have pretty bad grooming fluid crusties on one eye. I'm at least 95% sure that's what they are because they're pure white and have a crystaline/sandy texture. Is there anything I should be keeping an eye on about this? He has them in both eyes but one more than the other. No other symptoms of note. He's healthy, active, eats, drinks, poops, pees, wheeks, popcorns, zooms, etc.

rshevin

Post   » Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:48 pm

Anyone?

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:00 pm

We have two with this, one distinctively more than the other. I speculate it's an intermittently, but chronically, blocked tear duct.

Check it periodically and when it seems worse than usual, flush with some Gentocin drops, or just artificial tears.

Our little guy is bedded on kiln-dried pine. Some bales of it bother him more than others, though they are from the same manufacturer and seem the same to me. What is Smudgie bedded on? Certain types of bedding or really dusty hay seems to make this worse.