New rescue: Underweight Boar

rshevin

Post   » Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:47 pm

I too am wary of anesthesia so I'm going to have to suffice with a visual check. It's more than I can do myself ya know.

I'll work on cleaning up both Piggy and Smudgie tonight. AFTER dinner I think.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:51 pm

The hunching also makes me think of elimination discomfort. Do you see him do that before defecating, or before retrieving a cecotrope?

It may take his body a while to adjust to a good diet.

rshevin

Post   » Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:13 pm

Talishan, I know he doesn't appear to have any problems pooping. This pig is pooping more than any other I have ever seen, probably because his diet is mostly hay right now. It doesn't mean he isn't in discomfort, just that he isn't vocializing it in a way I understand.

Compared to Piggy his poops are normally sized and shaped, slightly greener, and a little softer but you have to keep in mind they are on somewhat different diets. Smudgie's poos, while a little softer, are still the right shape so I hope all is ok. I'll show some to the vet.

rshevin

Post   » Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:38 pm

Dear Mum,
We heard that YOU were responsible for the indignity recently bestowed upon us by our mother. We would like to express our utmost disgust and dislike for this proceedure you recommended. It was extremely un-manly and we like to think of ourselves as very boarly boars.

Sincerely,
Piggy and Smudgie

Smudgie definately has pain around his penis. I was able to get it out and couldn't see anything but it'll be brought up with the vet. I still can't get Piggy's out. I'll let the existing oil work around and try again until I get it.

rshevin

Post   » Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:42 pm

Dear Mum,
We heard that YOU were responsible for the indignity recently bestowed upon us by our mother. We would like to express our utmost disgust and dislike for this proceedure you recommended. It was extremely un-manly and we like to think of ourselves as very boarly boars.

Sincerely,
Piggy and Smudgie

Smudgie definately has pain around his penis. I was able to get it out and couldn't see anything but it'll be brought up with the vet. I still can't get Piggy's out. I'll let the existing oil work around and try again until I get it.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:19 pm

Dear Piggy and Smudgie

I'm so sorry you had to suffer such indignity, but mums know best you know. And you'll feel so much better when it's done.

Chins up!

Mum

P.S. Llewelyn and Heddwyn send their deepest sympathies and suggest that a quick nip on the offender's boob is a useful reminder to stop NOW :-p

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:55 pm

Mum scores another coffee on monitor! :-)

There's lymph nodes down there. Mumble mumble mumble. Hopefully if there's an infection or inflammation, it can be treated straightforwardly.

klynne

Post   » Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:05 am

"Mum scores another coffee on monitor!"

If only coffee were all--I am still battling that sinus infection! (Ick, sorry, TMI.)

Rshevin, "Out Damn Smudgie" just does not have the same ring to it! Cute name for a cute pig though. Hope he continues to improve under your good care.

rshevin

Post   » Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:25 am

Well, Smudgie got a much cleaner bill of health from the vet than I expected. He only did a visual check of the teeth but I think that's reasonable for now, given his age, and said they actually look fine. Felt around his jaw to see how the teeth met and all.

The vet was surprised that he ever even had a fungal infection because it's already cleared up so well but did a culture anyway. I had to remind him to wipe the monistat off. You wouldn't get a very good culture that way!

Vet didn't think he had mites but that isn't going to stop me from going through with the ivermectin. I would much rather prevent a problem than treat one. He thought the pain around genitels was tissue inflammation left over from the poor diet and husbandry.

He recommended some additional vitamin C in case he's deficient so now I have the Oxbow C tabs. I've been meaning to get some for a year but have just been using the liquid from the health food store. The tabs are much easier to transport, that's for sure. Said to keep supplementing and at the same time encouraging him to eat on his own in different ways.

Basicly all the same things you've been saying but after my other experience, I just wouldn't be able to sleep without having the teeth checked.

P.S. Sorry for the double post up there. It didn't even show up until this morning. Computers are very weird sometimes.

LandosMomma

Post   » Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:05 am

Congrats! I'm glad he is doing better than you thought! You are an angel!

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:55 pm

Great news!

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:05 pm

"He thought the pain around genitels was tissue inflammation left over from the poor diet and husbandry."

Mumble. Keep an eye on it.

Otherwise, great news.