New rescue: Underweight Boar

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:19 pm

Great pics! Let me know if you'd like me to add them to the thread.

rshevin

Post   » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:21 pm

Of course! I think you can see the polyp well enough, but I can also upload the full size version and link to it if anyone is interested.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:28 pm

I will have to do this tomorrow. I am falling asleep!

Keyboards make lousy pillows.

rshevin

Post   » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:03 pm

::sigh:: I need some GL help because I'm very doubtful my vet will be much use on this one. Smudgie is having serious problems with grooming fluid excess. He's always had crusties but now it's so bad there are red bald spots around his eyes. I try and wipe them with a warm cotton pad, but even then the hair comes off because the crusties just won't dissolve. I feel SO awful. I can see him secreting fluid pretty often when not grooming. Is there anything at all I can do?

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:14 pm

Has this been checked out at all (blocked duct or something)? How long has this been going on? Might there be some irritation in his eye? I know he's an oldster.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:21 pm

I had to read back through the whole thread to see if I'd suggested you check out his heart earlier (I did, a year ago!).

Runny eyes are sometimes a sign of generally being run down. In Llewelyn's eyes they went along with his serious CHF (he had absolutely no other signs at all, apart from extreme weight loss).

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:22 pm

In the meantime, try flushing his eyes regularly with artificial tears. We have had a couple with this problem, although not as bad as Smudgie's, and one spontaneously resolved on its own (?). The artificial tears really seemed to help.

rshevin

Post   » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:29 pm

LOL Mum, I am quite sure you've suggested heart problems. Let me see if I can answer everyone in order here.

Timeline - crusties as long as I've had him (just over 1 yr), problematic crusties about 1 month, started after his cyst was checked at the vet or I'd have had them look then.

Irritation - possible, I was using pine/carefresh for the past month or two because aspen is hard to find in this stupid city but we're back to aspen/carefresh now

General appearance - good, active and happy, eating well, weight stable and up about 20 grams now that I'm back to regular pellet mush supplements (supplementing because he was underweight at adoption and never regained to my satisfaction, current weight 930g +- 10g), estimated age 5 years old, favorite food = hay

Artifical tears - I know I've seen Genteal recommended, is this what you mean? I also have a bottle of sterile saline.

Oh, and my pet store carries Terramycin in stock. Is this worth trying?

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:25 pm

Terramycin: you could, but unless you know an infection's involved I wouldn't. It has one of the dangerous AB's in it and they will wipe their eyes and lick their paws.

Artificial tears: closer to sterile saline. This is the stuff we use:

These

Winnie the Pooh

Post   » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:48 am

rshevin- You may remember me mentioning on another thread about Peanut's constant "eye goo" problem. The vet, after trying various other things, finally discovered that Peanut had ringworm. I didn't believe it at first because he didn't have any lesions or sores like I've seen in pictures.

His only symptoms were excessive eye fluid which ended up forming crusties, and some excess shedding on his back and butt with little black dandruff pieces. His overall appearance looked perfectly normal, though, except for around his eye.

I orginally tried the topical treatment for ringworm, which seemed did not seem to do anything for his eye.

I did use Terramycin with absolutely no luck.

I took him to the vet this past Saturday (she had been out of town) only to discover that Peanut now has ringworm *everywhere*. Apparently, some strains of ringworm glow underneath a special light and she could see it immediately. As of Saturday, he has been taking Griseofulvin (oral- 1.5 ml per day for 28 days). I haven't noticed a change yet, but am hopeful.

If I see any changes or improvements, I will let you know. If you discover any successful treatment- PLEASE let me know. This has been going on since March.

I, like you, am fed up with crusties. I feel so bad for Peanut. I don't think he's in pain, because he acts perfectly happy, but the area around his eye can't be comfortable.

Here's Peanut with his ever-present goo. The rest of his hair usually looks normal, but it was still wet in the first picture.

rshevin

Post   » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:26 am

Question: What is the real/medical name for this grooming fluid? I feel kind of silly going into the vet and using that word if we have a better name. Anyone willing to check your books for me?

A woods lamp! Thank you! I have one and keep forgetting to use it. I do remember you mentioning the eye and my wondering if Smudgie had ringworm too. My other pig and myself are fine and Smudgie's other eye is mostly fine, but I'll definitely check under the fluorescent light. With that light you risk a false negative but I believe if he glows, it's positive and we'll hit the vet ASAP. If it's negative, we'll likely still hit the vet but I'm going to try and unclog this duct if possible.

Smudgie had fungus on his belly when I adopted him about a year back but it cleared up quickly with topical miconozale.

My idea for this moment is to see if he glows. If he does, off to the vet. If he doesn't, I'm going to try the terramycin for a few days. It should make a difference quickly if it's going to work. If it doesn't help at all, again off to the vet.

Thanks for the link to the tears. I can pick some up. I rinsed his eye out very well with warm sterile saline yesterday and there was no change.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:02 am

I tend to go with Snowflakey's idea of a blocked tear duct. Have you tried warm compresses on the eye/corner of the eye?

Not all fungus glows, of course. Good luck.

rshevin

Post   » Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:30 am

I have been doing warm compresses every night but it isn't helping much. It's also hard to keep them warm. I'll keep it up as this is definitely something that does no harm.

Oh definitely not all fungus glows. Really the only thing I'll learn is maybe it'll be obvious ringworm. If it isn't positive, I haven't learned anything at all if that makes sense.

cutemomomi
Obey My Authority

Post   » Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:34 am

Fungus glow? Wow, I didn't know that...
Learn something new everyday!

rshevin

Post   » Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:51 pm

Only ringworm glows and then only sometimes. You can get false negatives.

rshevin

Post   » Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:30 pm

Well, here's the "shocker" that surprises no one. The fluorescent was inconclusive. It seems their grooming fluid itself fluoresces because I could see tiny bits in Piggy's eye too. If the terramycin doesn't help in a day or two, we'll go get a proper culture, vet visit, and such.

I will say though, this is exactly why I bought this blacklight. Well, that and ya'll know what a die hard nerd I am.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:31 pm

Winnie, griseofulvin is extraordinarily harsh stuff. Very effective but very harsh. Watch carefully when using it and consider oral Program instead.

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/program.html

Yes, it's for fleas. It works on ringworm. I have no idea why but somewhere on here Josephine posted an explanation.

rshevin

Post   » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:20 pm

It had something to do with disrupting the cell wall of the fungus in the same way it disrupts the chitin in the fleas but it's all very, very fuzzy.

Winnie the Pooh

Post   » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:27 pm

I'm always paranoid about giving Peanut any medication. He's tolerated Baytril and various ointments and creams in the past, but a negative reaction could happen at any time.

I must say, he is not a cooperative patient when giving him a syringe. I never knew that a pig's head could swivel 360 degrees.

I am weighing him daily and watching his food intake and activity. Can I assume he is handling the medication O.K. as long as he maintains his weight and normal activity? He's about 3 1/2 pounds, so I'm hoping that will give me a little cushion of time if he loses his appetite (I would stop the medication and then handfeed until he recovered).

Do you think Grisofulvin is too risky? I am willing to ask the vet for oral Program if others have had success. He's been through so many months of different treatments for this "goo", we're both at our wits' end. I have nicknamed him Mr. Magoo with the emphasis on "goo".

rshevin- Sorry for taking over your thread. Be sure to let me know what you find out at the vet's tomorrow. For all I know, ringworm could just be a secondary condition to what is causing the eye problem.

I don't know the name of the grooming fluid, but saying "ocular (sp?) fluid" sounds more scientific.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:07 pm

I would ask the vet about oral Program. The vet may be unwilling to consider it because 1) it is (like just about everything else we use) offlabel use for guinea pigs and 2) a flea med. Why would a flea med work? (says the vet who isn't a GL member.)

I know griseofulvin is very harsh and can have pretty bad side effects. I don't, however, know what they are. GI damage (?) I think is one, but I'm purely guessing. Hopefully someone else can give you more specifics.

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/griseofulvin.html

These are newer, effective as I understand it (have not used them myself), and considerably more expensive (again as I understand it). The vet, however, may be more willing to consider them vs. Program:

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/itraconazole.html
http://www.marvistavet.com/html/ketoconazole.html

Ketoconazole is basically what's in Nizoral shampoo. Have you tried that?

**Back to rshevin's thread**

379 posts