Malocclusion Experiences and Links To Gp Illnesses

pinta

Post   » Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:29 am

The sooner you notice malocclusion and treat it, the better the prognosis.

Weekly weighing and monitoring of the wear of their incisors is the first step.

Dental xrays and a thorough examination by a cavy savvy vet is the second step.

Treatment through dental procedures is the third step.

Maintaining dental procedures done thru diet or jaw supprt is the fourth step.

Piggiesjoy

Post   » Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:53 pm

That's excellent! Thank you Pinta for putting it so clearly. Having a chronic illness means my brain fogs up with too much information! Your advice will go on my pin board where I can see it.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:38 pm

2005 Llewelyn, brought into rescue from animal shelter, said to be 3 years of age - coat in dreadful matted condition, thin.

A month or so later was treated for malocclusion.

Gained enormous amounts of weight and did very well.

2006 diagnosed with heart murmur and possible enlargement and put on lotensin.

2008 lost drastic amounts of weight over the past couple of years. Developed severe malocclusion. Molars quickly trimmed under anesthesia - nearly didn't survive the surgery and came home on oxygen. Diagnosed with congestive heart failure.

Outcome yet to be seen, but strong link here between heart failure and malocclusion.

DisneyMOM

Post   » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:21 pm

I rescued my Buffet Bunny January 16 as some of you troublemakers cheered me on! He had his first surgery 1/19/09

His second surgery was 2/20/09 when I had him neutered at the same time. Our Vet, Dr. Baeyens at North Hills Animal Clinic in North Little Rock, AR sent me this in an email... "It is not the eating or gnawing on things that makes the teeth straight and wear down. His teeth overgrow because they are crooked and do not meet properly and grind against each other. There isn't anything you can give him to correct that misalignment. Wish there was! I am against extracting the teeth. The incisors have very large roots and they are teeth that grow constantly. They make up a large part of the upper and lower jaw and are very difficult or next to impossible to totally extract, and if you do there will be deformity in the jaws. The only way to handle his problem is the periodic trimming of the teeth."

He is healing nicely and very happy to be home with a good book.
[/url]

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:06 am

Aw, what a sweet pic, DisneyMOM.

DisneyMOM

Post   » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:35 pm

Can you believe I took that with my cell phone!

Becca8680

Post   » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:48 am

1) Wintermute/Calico/about 2.5 years
2) This monday was first malocosion treatment
3) No other health problems that i know of
4) vet cut and filed, says he will need another filing in 2-3 weeks
5) n/a

I am posting b/c I am wondering what other poeple's GPs acted like after the teeth were trimmed/filed. Mine is still the happy upbeat, very chatty GP he was; however, he is being a really picky eater.

Before the treatment I know he wasn't eating right b/c it was hard to eat - so why is he being picky now? He asks for food, and he has it in his cage, but he seems to only like these little yogurt drops I give him. He has nibbled a little on other things - oranges and parsley and little bit of his hay. Is he just being picky to get his treats? Last night I wet some of his dry food to make it soft, thinking that he needs soft food to eat - but he didnt touch it.

Today is Friday, so I can't take him to the vet until Monday. But since his personality is still the same, I am don't think he is sick, but could he be?

PS - I also put his cage mate in a seperate cage so that the cage mate wouldn't eat all his food and I can watch his diet. Could he be missing his friend?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:58 am

I encourage you to start a new thread on your guinea pig. This is not a discussion thread. We can help you there.

gizzy

Post   » Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:40 am

Polly was 2years when first appeared, has lost one set of molars ,

has anaesthetic free incisors cut and remaining molars cut and rasped every 12-16 days .

Her father Little pig had one malocclused molar (left bottom pre)
Cut and rasp every 3 weeks .
Died last year, developed small ulcer after one vet visit , don’t know whether that had anything to do with his death , though it did have signs of heart failer (died in my arms , I still weep )

xuehua

Post   » Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:26 am

1) Caramel/American/age...unsure...maybe 2

2) Unsure how old he was, first treated in March 2008.

3) No heart problems, but he did suffer from scurvy (I was a new owner and gave the wrong veg. and fruits). Just as he was getting better I left for music camp, on the second day away my mom called saying he took a turn for the worse. Which was due to the malocclusion.

4) Treatment- Took him in to get his molars trimmed. Ordered the chin-sling but found out about it a tad too late. He passed on two days later.

5) Nope, I believe it helped cause it.

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:45 am

Druppy

1) Age 22 months

2) Three weeks before we noticed there was a serious problem, she refused one of her treats. We didn't think anything of it. She lost weight, but as they all had caught gastroenteritis from me, I wasn't worried yet, as they all lost some weight.

3) Then, on Friday, she stopped eating. I weighed her and noticed a serious weight loss in one week time. It took some investigation to find out, as she actually pretended to eat, sitting at the bowl, sitting in the pile of hay they get daily, joining the group to eat veggies.

4) I force fed her with syringes of recovery, yet instead of water to mix with it, I made her fresh veggie juices and an occasional fresh fruit juice to keep her interested in it. She loved it a lot! She stopped loosing weight. The vet had scheduled a teeth trim on Thursday. The vet told me if she didn't eat by Wednesday, to return. She nibbled once on food right after the trim, then stopped eating again.

5) Had another tooth trim rescheduled on the next Thursday. I got pain meds, yet they turned her into a zombie. Once weaned off, she seemed to perk up a little. She ate once a nibble after and stopped eating again.

6) A few days after, I noticed her mouth was filled with dried up recovery, so I managed to rince it out. The next days, I checked to see if there wasn't any build up of recovery still. She was eager for her recovery made with fresh juices. The vet had told me to to worry about overgrowing yet, as the teeth were filed even further down, to wait 10 days and see what it would give.

7) Thursday, I noticed that her pink gums and lips were blue. Then, I realized her gums and lips must have been less pink the weeks before, yet not in a way you'd notice, but remember after. The vet looked at her mouth too and often, he didn't notice it either, but I realized this was building up for weeks. She hadn't lost weight till Monday, but lost weight rapidly since that moment and looked very poorly. I feared the worst. I was certain she had heart issues. I also saw her heart having to make an effort to beat. Piggie heart issues are not treated here by vets, so I started to look around on what meds she needed and what I could get on short notice.

8) Friday, I had planned to go back to the vet and convince him to prescribe some heart meds. But, I noticed Druppy couldn't stand on her feet anymore and needed help to fold her legs to sit, as that's all she wanted. Her lips and gums, her tongue and cheeks were blue. I knew it was too late and she was going to die, not even survive a trip to the vet. I had made her 4 different juices to add to the recovery, knowing it was her last day. She could barely eat anymore, yet was eager to have some, as she loved the new taste to the recovery each time a lot.

8) In the afternoon, it was time to offer her a drink. She refused to drink, but as soon as she tasted the fresh fruit juice I made for her, she was happy to have some. I petted her, kissed her, put her back in the cage in sitting position to quickly do something and when I returned, her candle had blown out by the wind.

kezza

Post   » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:37 am

1. white & gold sheba
6mths when bought, always slim and never put on weight.
Was 1 year when became bravely ill and had first tooth trim.
suffered from scurvy from hand feeding and has had diarrhoea.
Still recovering 2 weeks on.
No other signs on illness