Should I worry? Lazy "rag doll" pig

pinta

Post   » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:52 pm

Hillyer/ Quesenberry has 2-5mg/kg q12h;PO,SC.

So that would be 2-5mg/kg orally every 12 hours. You can give 10mg once in a 24 hour period but I advise you follow up with a hydration subcue.

Phone your vet to get an OK to up the lasix just in case the fluids are due to something other than heart. If you have upped the lasix before for this condition with success you're probably okay to do it again.

Sometimes the fluids can be the result of kidney issues. You can still use lasix but it is important to hydrate when the kidneys are inviolved. I had a kidney pig who got 20cc s fluids twice a day along with the top dose of daily Lasix. This treatment maintained her at a relatively good comfort level.

poppypiggy

Post   » Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:30 pm

Thank you, Lynx and Pinta!

Because of your remarks, Pinta, I read back from when Poppy was in heart failure a year ago (why didn't I do that at once?), and found that she then got 10 mg of lasix twice a day for two days, with no ill effect. Quite the contrary - she recovered much faster than the vet had expected. As it was too late to call the vet in a non emergency matter, I took the chance of giving Poppy 10 mg of lasix this evening, but if it is necessary to do it again, I will ask the vet first.

I am pretty sure Poppy's kidneys are OK, or at least that they were a year ago, so I am not very worried about the fluid build up to be from something other than her heart condition.

I have found it very easy to get water (orally) into Poppy if it is finger warm, and she now gets 30 ml with her medicine every 12 hours (morning and evening). She also drinks well by her self, so all in all I think she gets 100+ ml most days, sometimes even more. According to my vet that is just as effective as hydro injections. I hope she is right.

pinta

Post   » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:24 pm

Fluids orally are fine. Hydration subcues are useful as they get fluids into the pig much faster than syringing orally.

poppypiggy

Post   » Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:26 pm

Update on Poppy again, and some questions.

During the summer the pigs have been out grazing on all sunny days, and some have managed to put on some weight.

Poppy has been about the same weight, but more active, so I decreased her meds a bit to 1.25 mg enalapril, 0.6 mg pimobendan and 5.0 mg furosemid every 12 hours, and she did fine on those doses.

The last few days Poppy has been gradually becoming quieter, and on Monday her usually pink ears looked a bit blue. I increased the med doses yesterday; and even gave her double doses of furosemid. That helped a bit, or at least the ears became pinker, but just for a few hours.

I talked to the vet today, and she agreed on trying higher doses, but didn't know if there are other things we can do.

During the summer I held back on the Oxbow pellets, but now when fall has started the pigs only has been outside on the driest and mildest days, so I have given them pellets again.

However, since I suspect the salt in the pellets might be an additional strain to Poppy's heart, I will try not to give her any to see if that helps at all.

I wonder if anybody has other suggestions. Is it possible to give Poppy other human medicines to keep her blood pressure down? Other things I can do with her diet? Inputs would be most appreciated.

pinta

Post   » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:33 am

Maybe she might do better on Fortekor?

poppypiggy

Post   » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:29 am

Sorry if I have mixed up, but I thought Fortekor was enalapril - have to check that now. Anyhow Poppy is on Fortekor.

She is also loosing weight, even though she eats a lot whenever I am around. I suspect she sits quietly in her hut when I am not there to remind her to eat. I have cut grass to her, and she loves that, but winter will soon takes over; first snow for the winter fell this afternoon.

poppypiggy

Post   » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:48 am

Checked it - Fortekor is of course benazepril.

pinta

Post   » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:49 pm

She may need higher doses of both fortekor and lasix. And oxygen is a great help to heart pigs if you can get your hands on a portable cannister.

Fortekor is a more recent version of Enalapril.

poppypiggy

Post   » Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:32 pm

Thank you, Pinta!

I wonder how high the max doses are. Tonight I have given her double doses of Fortekor (= 2.5 mg) and Furosemid (10 mg, sold under the name Furix here), and the usual dose of 0.6 mg Vetmedin. Her ears became pink after just a few minutes, but now, just about an hour later, they are very red, almost purple again, and when I looked after her she sat quietly in her hut and nodded her head with every breath. She does that a lot, and I am afraid that is a bad sign.

I have given her several large handfuls of grass today, and her usual vegetables: Romaine, a little peeled broccoli stalk, some carrot, some parsley and some bell pepper. She ate it all with gusto, but when it comes to hay she's not that eager.
I might start handfeeding, but am reluctant, as there is salt in the Critical Care too.

I don't think it is possible to get oxygen here. I'll ask my vet about it when I call her tomorrow, though; it might have become easier since we discussed it in the past.

pinta

Post   » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:05 am

The max 24 hour dose of lasix for a 1kg pig is 10mg. I don't klnow the range for fortekor but I do know it's pretty wide.

Unfortunatelywith heart pigs there will come a time that the heart disease will win.

poppypiggy

Post   » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:35 am

It might be wishful thinking on my part, but this morning Poppy seems to be a bit better, even before medication. She is bright eyed and eager to eat treats and some grass, and her ears are more pink than purple. I have given her some water orally, and at the moment she is eating hay.

I hope her time hasn't come yet.

pinta

Post   » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:13 am

Is she being dosed every 12 hours?