I will read over the subcue thread, and hopefully get some good tips there - so far I have not tried giving any more to Poppy, but I want to learn it for when it becomes necessary
I have now talked with the vet by phone, and Poppy and I have an appointment at the clinic in the morning. Poppy will probably get some oxygen treatment then, and stay there most of the day.
The vet also agreed on giving Poppy another dose of Fortekor tonight, so for the time being she will be on 1.25 mg twice daily, and 5 mg Lasix twice daily. Hopefully that will make her feel better, and turn her cute little ears light pink again!
We have a portable oxygen cannister old people use when going out and about. Medical supply places should have them. I don't think you can use the same stuff as divers.
She has been on these doses for awhile now so apparently GP's can tolerate high doses of these meds. Needless to say though mine is at the max dose of all this stuff.
I think the Bug has about the same weight as Poppy, so I am glad to see that she gets about the same amount of medicine, except that Poppy doesn't get Pimobendan. What is Pimobendan doing for Bug's heart?
Just a question here-do you mean that Poppy is on .5ml Furosemide not 5. ml per day? 5ml is an awfull lot of diuretic. : )
- Let Sleeping Pigs Lie
Bugs Mom, thank you for your concern! Poppy is on 5 mg, or rather one part of a 20 mg pill split in four, morning and evening. My vet checked and rechecked that the dose was right, but your comment made me a bit nervous, so I just looked it up myself. And I found that Dr. Ridgeway use to dose furosemide at 2 – 5 mg/kg orally every 12 hours http://www.guinealynx.info/heart.html#ridgeway so I think 5 mg is within the safe limit, even if it is much. By the way - I have not been able to find a way to compound these medicines, so I just grind the furosemide and Fortekor pills in a little glass, dilute in some water and give that to Poppy.
I asked my vet if she knew anything about pimobendan, and she had, but not for piggies, so she promised to look it up before the check up next week.
Thanks for the references, pinta and tracis. I will read the information carefully, and also print it out for my vet.
For pills that can't be divided into doses easily we use a suspension agent for mixing. Vetmedin mixes best with water.
She also gets Furosemide pills diluted in water, as I can’t find anything similar to Orasweet here. After the last vet visit we are now gradually decreasing the dose, though. At the moment she gets 2 mg every morning, and seems to cope well with that. Next week she will not get any Furosemide, as her heart seems to be working very well on the Fortekor alone. I have to monitor her closely to make sure there is no new build up of fluids, though.
But even if Poppy’s heart is doing it's job, everything still isn't sunshine with her, as she now has started to loose hair on both sides of her belly, and also along her back, and she often sits at the back of the cage and looks uncomfortable. I have treated her for mites, but that didn't help, so at the last vet visit she had an x-ray and an ultra sound examination. Unfortunately it is obvious that she has at least one ovarian cyst that bothers her.
I think we have to do something about this very soon, but I am a bit unsure about what will be the best option. My vet is not very experienced with spaying sows. She has done it before, though, and done other types of surgery on pigs, too. And only lost one; he came fine out of the sedation, but died at home later on, probably because of over heating, she thinks. She tells me she feels confident that she will manage Poppy's spay just fine. She also says she spays cats all the time, and don't thinks the difference between cats and sows are that large when it comes to spaying. I have no way of knowing if this is true or not, but would like to hear others opinions on this. Does it sound like she is realistic, or is she over confident?
I have also discussed the possibility of giving Poppy hormone injections in stead of spaying her. Vet was not familiar with that, but said she would investigate and come back to me when she knew more. I have found this link http://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10197 , but it is from 2004, so I am sure there is more info about this treatment somewhere. Can anyone point me to it? Or has anybody first hand experience to share?
- Let Sleeping Pigs Lie
Here are a few threads that might help:
Trick's girls Rosie and Brie have been receiving hCG injections, and recently Gracie also started receiving injections, too.
Elly's girl, Dilly, had Lupron injections.
The more I think of how invasive a spay it to a sow, the less I like the thought that Poppy should go through something like that. She has had enough of pain in her life already. So yes, I will go for the injections first, as you suggest. The links are very helpful, and after reading them I have learned that the hormone treatment is far better than I thought previousely, and I have sent the linkts to my vet. Hopefully she will be convinced after reading them.
We do hormone injections on compromised pigs and have had very good results. Only spay as a last resort.
Thank you for the clarification, Pinta. I was pretty sure that was what you ment, but good to have it written out.Should be less riskier for heart pigs
Since my last update Poppy has not been doing quite as well as before. She has been gradually more quiet and inactive, and looking like she feels uncomfortable. Yesterday her breathing was heavy too, so I put her back on furosemide, and she is better today.
My vet, Kirsti, is specializing in exotics, and was away for one of the required courses last week, so Poppy hasn't seen her since last update. But I got a long e-mail from Kirsti last night, where she told me that my little girl was discussed on the course. And the lecturer, a professor from the Royal Dick in Edinburgh, suggested a spay, as this is the only permanent solution to growing cysts, in his opinion. According to him hormones will not stop the cysts from growing, and Poppy's cysts are rather large, I think.
As previousely mentioned my vet wanted to spay Poppy herself, but now she tells me she has second thoughts about that, as she now realizes that spaying pigs is not the same as spaying cats. So you were absolutely right there, Pinta, and now I trust your judgement even more than before!
Kirsti's suggestion is that she calls around to find another vet that is willing to spay my girl, but she also tells me that I have to decide what I think is best for Poppy. I am very nervous about the whole thing, because I feel I have to act rather fast, since Poppy is not well as it is now, even if the furosemide seems to work well.
When looking at the Reference and First Hand Accounts I found this post from Cara: http://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10197 that tells about a treatment with a "new" hormone, gonadotropin-releasing hormome (GnRH), in stead of the more commonly used human chorionic gonadotropin (hcG). Among other advantages with the first mentioned treatment is that it reduces the size of the ovarian cysts.
Cara is not a member anymore, and her e-mail adress is removed from her profile, so I can't mail her to ask for more references. Has others had any experience with this treatment? Is it a "real" treatment, or just some short lived idea by Cara's vet back in 2004?