Broken Teeth

JustAnotherGPSlave

Post   » Sat Feb 16, 2002 11:10 pm

HELP!!!! I just discovered my boar Bailey has 2 broken top teeth!! He is the one who also has the staples in his side from a recent fight with another boar. I noticed he wasnt eating like he usually does so I checked his teeth and found the top 2 were broken. One of them was broken right to the gum and the other was a little longer but he has dropped some weight.
I feel like I need to be doing something for him. Would hand feeding him for now be ok?? If so, what can I feed him. I read somewhere about using baby food mixed with ground up pellets to make a mash helps sometimes.......should I do this??
I will check back in a bit to see if anyone has given any advice.......until then I am going to try to hand feed him some greens and see if that helps any. Thanks in advance.

Shana

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Feb 16, 2002 11:26 pm

Check the teeth page on Guinea Lynx (see button top right). They should grow back just fine. Just make sure he can eat. The softened pellets are a good idea (Vicki of JPGPR soaks them briefly in hot water and drains them before serving). Cut vegs into manageable pieces.

Good luck. I´m sure he´ll do fine -- though you are right, it is kind of a shock to find your pig has lost his teeth!

JustAnotherGPSlave

Post   » Sun Feb 17, 2002 12:42 am

Thanks Lynx, that site has really helped me out.
I ended up making a small mash with ground down pellets, water (just enough to make the pellets soft) and some baby food carrots. He attacked the mash like he was a starving pig!!
I had noticed he had not been eating as much as he used to and he looks alot thinner than usual, plus he also has been acting very skittish which is VERY unusual for him. After we pick him up he is fine. He has had a very stressful few days and Im sure it didnt help any that he wasnt able to eat much. I will keep feeding him until his teeth grow back enough that he can grasp his romaine lettuce again.
Thanks again :D

Shana

Alfie

Post   » Sun Feb 17, 2002 4:38 pm

Hey Shana

Make sure you still keep hard vegetables & hay available at all times - they can still manage them and it´s important to keep their teeth in good shape.

My Alfie knocked out her top teeth when she jumped out of my arms. I was horrified, but they grew back amazingly fast and she maintained her eating habits, despite looking like a pirate.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Feb 17, 2002 9:06 pm

Yes. And fresh grass is good too. Remember that her molars are growing at the same rate and she needs abrasive material to keep them trimmed.