Need fast help with Bailey

Mocu

Post   » Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:22 pm

Cullen had an enucleation days before last Christmas. It went very well. No pus. No antibiotics. Just metacam for about a week and that was it.
I can't imagine what is causing Bailey's problems at this point.
Would Betadine be helpful in the clean-ups?
Are the stiches taken from the inside lids so they will grow together in healing as Cullen's did?
You know, pigs clean their eyes with that secreted white liquid during grooming. I wondered what happened to that liquid with Cullen, but he hasn't presented with any problem which leads me to conclude the secretion duct was terminated with the enucleation.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:10 pm

My guess is general condition and health; and the underlying infection are part of what is making healing difficult. I managed Nina's bumblefoot for over a year. Long term treatment of a condition or illness is hard on the pet and the owner.

kleenmama
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:41 am

Just wanted to update this thread, it's been a long haul.

Bailey's eye never healed. I had the eye removed in November, and since then, she has been on AB's for 8 months.

She was on BActrim for more than 3 months. She was on Baytril for 3 months. We tried Chlor but it made her sick and she totally went off her feed.
She was on Doxy for a month. I even went so far as to go with injectible Oxy tetracycline, and before you all scream at me, understand that we were totally out of options.

On the positive side, the injections actually cleared up the eye infection for nearly 3 weeks, which was the longest she ever went without the pus.

She was in daily pain, because I had to flush the eye and apply the ointment (we went through 4 tubes over the past 8 months) and she screamed and cried through the whole thing, so I know it hurt her.

So last week, when the pus came back again, I scheduled her for an appt. She was losing weight.

I took her in to the vet on Monday, and while we were examining her, the vet got a huge amount of pus on her forearm, which was not close to the pussy eye. We discovered a small bump next to her left nipple, and when gently pushed on, pus came pouring out.

AT that point, I made the determination to euthanize Bailey. After being on AB's for 8 months, there was no way she should have all this infection.

I had the necropsy done, and Bailey was full of cancer. It involved the liver, kidneys and stomach. The vet was pretty amazed that she had lived that long. She sent the pus to the lab so we could isolate the strain of infection. I should get the results in a week and I'll try and remember to post.

She told me that most likely that was what started the eye problem in the first place, but then spread to other areas of her body.

Anyway, I was down to one pig, and didn't want a lone pig, so he is now with Heather, a good friend of mine here in the Spokane area.

She has pigs and chins and hedghogs and rabbits and sugar gliders and prairie dogs and also two Pantagonian cavies, so she is very good with animals! She works at Spokanimal, the shelter here and also does dog training.

So, for the first time in nearly 8 years, I am pigless. It feels strange to open the fridge and not hear wheeks, and also to go to the store and not have to get pig veggies.

I am going to take a pig break for a while. Just wanted to update on the eye thing.

glade
Even Republicans Give!

Post   » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:42 am

I am sorry, KM.

rshevin

Post   » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:52 am

Awe, I'm so sorry KM. She had a wonderful life rolling in fresh, yummy hay.

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:52 am

I'm very sorry. Thank you for doing the necropsy.

Brandilynn
Who's your Branni?

Post   » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:56 am

Sorry, KM.

Kermie831

Post   » Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:18 pm

I'm so sorry

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:50 pm

I'm so sorry for your loss and what Bailey endured. She is painfree now and having fun.

Fossil Barb

Post   » Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:27 pm

You made the right decision and Bailey is now zooming and popcorning with friends. It takes love to let them go.

I know what you mean about being without piggies. I had to make that sad decision last year but maybe someday.

Take care.

lisam

Post   » Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:31 pm

I'm so sorry. What a trooper she was to last so long with all that going inside of her, and you, too, for sticking in there with her.

Bethie
Still supporting in 2014

Post   » Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:39 pm

I'm so sorry for your loss. Sounds like Bailey fought as hard for you as you did for her. There's no pain over the Bridge, sweetie girl.