Need fast help with Bailey

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:11 pm

Geez, how terrible. My choice is ALWAYS 0.9% (isotonic) saline for flushing abscesses. That is safe and not damaging to tissues. If all the fluid doesn't come out, it is safely absorbed by the body (and excreted in the urine). It is the flushing action, not the ingredients that make the difference, anti-infection wise. Depending on what exactly the vet did, however, I would be somewhat concerned flushing that particular area with copious amounts of flush.

Chlor might be the way to go. I hope your appointment goes well!

SylvesterPiggie

Post   » Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:52 pm

BEst wishes!

cutemomomi
Obey My Authority

Post   » Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:03 pm

Good luck to you and Bailey, and keep us posted.

kleenmama
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:10 pm

OK, so we are back. The vet cleaned off all the dried on matted pus and removed two of the stitches to gain access. She said most of the pus had already drained and there was very little left in the socket.
She also said it is granulating great, that about 80% of the wound is already filled in with granulated tissue. She said the tissue looks nice and not infected.
Her whole take on it was that we are nearly there, in another two days it will be healed up and there was no need to switch meds.
She did put in a blob of terramycin and told me to do it once per day till I can no longer access the hole.
I asked if we should switch to/add chlor, and she told me that she didn't feel there was any need.
This could have been a bit of remaining infection from before the surgery, and that she really thinks it looks good.
She didn't add a drain because she felt the eye will fully heal so quick that there will be no need to flush.
She told me I can flush it daily if I want, but that she thinks it will truly be fine and there will be nothing left to flush by Sunday.

Meanwhile, Bailey is eating everything in sight and acting fine. It doesn't seem to bother her in the least.

luvmypigs2

Post   » Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:23 pm

That's great and I'm glad Bailey's ok! It's always a good thing, when a pig is pigging out!

Can you keep her on Bactrim as a preventative measure? My vet is just the opposite about giving AB's to prevent infection. When my guys have a scratch on them she sends them home with AB's. She always wants to make sure something small doesn't turn into anything big.

kleenmama
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:51 pm

She will remain on the Bactrim for 7 days, and the terramycin until the hole closes.
I've stopped with the Metacam, because truly, she doesn't seem to be in any pain at all. She wheeks when I come in the room, she is eating everything. She stands on the side of the C&C cage. I don't think she hurts at all.

klynne

Post   » Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:39 pm

Whew, what a relief that you got such a good prognosis.

You sound pretty comfortable with what you were told, is that the case?

I have the same issues with my vets not knowing when they are stumped or when adding a consult to the mix might make for a better outcome. Sympathy for you on that.

Hope Bailey heals up well and fast.

dgarriques
Got Pigs?

Post   » Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:21 pm

Baily is one lucky girl. Hope she will heal fast. And I assume she can still see fine?

cavyslave8
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:30 pm

I hope she heals up fast.

slfalzone

Post   » Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:07 am

Oh my goodness - poor little piggy!

I hope that what the vet says turns into a reality and I am so glad Bailey seems to be doing well!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:16 am

That sounds promising. Continue to hope she heals up fine!

whittibo

Post   » Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:22 am

Best wishes.