Need fast help with Bailey

rshevin

Post   » Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:40 am

A picture wouldn't hurt. I wouldn't know squat about it but the others will.

I was thinking of you last weekend because we had a newly one eyed cat at the shelter that had been picked up by animal control. The IDIOTS at the vet didn't even sew the socket shut. The poor, poor cat. Then, the kennel tech who is stupider than a rock was putting the BNP in the WRONG EYE.

I don't know what to tell you about the pus other than to give the Baytril a try and stay on top of GI issues. Her eating and gaining weight can't be a bad thing. Could hairloss be from all the wiping and the BNP?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:15 pm

I would not be concerned with the hairloss alone so long as the skin looks okay. My long time not seen racoon with one bad eye showed up finally. It had been clouded over. Now it is kind of gone (sunken area where eye was).

I wish Bailey the best.

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:13 pm

I think moisture and ointment would cause the hairloss. Snowflake had intermittent runny eye, and both the moisture and his meds made him lose his hair. It grew back. Poor Bailey!

CICSTEVE

Post   » Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:32 pm

KM, We have had piggies with eye problems and the best stuff we used was gentamicin sulfate ophthalmic solution made by FALCON.
The worse case was Bright eyes. Her eye was filled with blood, and the size of a dimesticking out of her head. I felt so bad for her and the oitment that Claire told use to use so her eye wouldnt dry didnt really work. So what I did was 3 X a day, I put 1 drop in her eye and then the oitment to kind of keep the drops in.

4-5 days later her eye was back to normal. This is definately the best suff for eyes I have ever used.
We had a few that started to have a cloudy eye, and this stuff cleared it up fast.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:35 pm

So you used a watery drop and a creamy ointment combination? Is the gentamicin sulfate ophthalmic solution watery or is it an ointment?

CICSTEVE

Post   » Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:39 pm

It is watery. Just use 1 drop. Bright eyes was so bad I decided to use both , the drops and the oitment . Theoiment basicall to keep the drops in and let it work better.

I told our vet what I did and she thought that was a great idea. Well, anyway it worked great.

I cant tell people enough of how well this has worked for us.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:39 pm

What was the ointment called?

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:53 pm

Our vet has prescribed this same regimen: gentamycin drops followed with Terramycin ointment.

CICSTEVE, was your followup ointment Terramycin?

CICSTEVE

Post   » Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:55 pm

Yes, I think that was the name of it. I will check when I get home tonight and let you know for sure.

Have you had good luck with it also? I thinks its the best stuff we have used for the eyes.

I used it not just for a follow up but with the drops.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:34 pm

It works very well. You want to use it in the smallest useful quantity, though; it's oxytetracycline and you don't want them rubbing their eyes, then licking very much of it off their paws.

Our vets usually start us with Falcon/gentamicin. Then, if that doesn't do the trick, or if a little extra strength or durability is needed (the ointment stays put longer), they'll give us the Terramycin. We don't use it unless we really need it.

Our vets tell us to use the drops every 4-6 hours (or do the best we can). Let them soak in there if possible for a minute or two, then apply Terramycin to the affected area very sparingly. The Terramycin not only works on its own, but it should help seal a little of the gentamicin in the affected area as well.

rshevin

Post   » Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:44 pm

In that case, sterile opthalmic ointment might be a useful intermediate step.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:45 pm

For rinsing?