Pippin's Tummy Troubles (Long)

JaneDoe

Post   » Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:53 pm

Interesting. Thank you, Amy. I was reading about how it took a while for the motility drugs to have an effect on Oreo.

You probably don't realize how many pigs you've already helped and how many you will help in the future.

JaneDoe

Post   » Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:29 pm

I am trying not to freak out. Pippin's weight continues to go down, up a little more, then down, mostly down. Both pigs, especially Pippin, were biting and scratching themselves last week. Friday I took both to the vet for Ivermectin shots -- this has helped with weight loss/skin issues in the past. Vet said continue Critical Care but give Mylecon only if he's clearly uncomfortable. Also, no veggies except romaine, with small amounts of parsley and spinach.

When we got home from the vet's he was great, so I gave him some extra romaine. Big mistake. Ten PM he was miserable, so I gave him some Mylecon. Sat and Sun he was much better, including less biting and scratching. Like a dummy, I upped his romaine and also gave him a little parsely.

Today he is worse -- weight lower than it's been in a year, appetite on and off, biting and scratching himself more. I gave him some Mylecon at 5:40 AM, and it's not helping much. He is pooping. Most poops look pretty good, but some are a little soft, a couple had little bubbles at the end. A couple minutes ago he was eating hay, now he's biting himself again.

Whatever it is, it seems a cyclical thing. One day he's bad, two days he's good but the long and short of it is he's losing weight. The vet is out until tomorrow, I will call her first thing. Obviously I am not giving him any veggies, as that seems to be the culprit.

I will bring both pigs in for an Ivermectin shot in about ten days, however, the question is what tests, meds do I ask for now? The vet mentioned Reglan last year but we are both unwilling to bring out the big guns. She did an X-ray in late August (suspected hernia, negative). Do I ask for another one, bloodwork, urine, stool cultures, anything else?

Thanks!

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:09 pm

I wonder if Pippin has something like Percy's IBD diagnosis. I'm just thinking off the top of my head here.

JaneDoe

Post   » Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:08 am

Vet did a small mammal panel, sent him home. She sez if I haven't heard from her by 2PM EST to call her.

JaneDoe

Post   » Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:03 pm

I got Pippin’s results Wednesday. Liver, Kidneys, red and white cell counts are good. As per the vet’s instructions I have upped his Critical Care feedings and temporarily cut fresh vegetables. He is also getting Mylecon as needed.

His weight loss has stopped and possibly reversed itself. He is also pooping better, scratching less and seems less gassy.

Please keep both of us in your thoughts/prayers. Thanks!

Bugs Mom

Post   » Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:40 pm

Good thoughts only to Pippin. Get better and keep improving little one.

JaneDoe

Post   » Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:41 pm

Thank you, Bug's Mom.

On a humorous note, the vet sez Pippin was visibly pissed at her. He hates having blood drawn and she hates doing it. She said after the indignation she offered him some food and water. He kicked over his water dish, rolled his pellet bowl around, sat in his hay and glared at her.

She had to laugh.

JaneDoe

Post   » Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:38 pm

I am THIS close to losing it. This morning Pippin's weight was lower than it's been in YEARS. I think this may be "Pippin's tooth troubles" in addition to "tummy troubles." Here are the reasons:

1) He is very interested in food and appears to be eating it. However, now he is eating a urine-soaked paper towel rather than the hay and pellets he has.
2) He gains weight when I syringe-feed him, but I cannot do it every hour or set the alarm to feed him after I've gone to sleep.
3) His weight goes down when I work long shifts and can't feed him or when I sleep for long periods (ten hours or more)
4) Now that's he's getting more Critical Care his poops are almost textbook-perfect, he has less gas and scratches less.
5) He makes a chewing motion a lot even when appears to be no food in his mouth. He does not tear into his food as enthusiastically and a lot of the Critical Care/water I syringe-feed him runs down his chin and onto my bare leg. Ugh!

The vet agrees it may be a dental thing, but can't do X-rays until Tuesday. He is now on Meloxicam to relieve any possible mouth/tooth inflammation, but he hates the taste/smell. He is also on Mylecon as needed for gas.

So now I am really freaking. There are other reasons for this, too:

1) I am having the condo refinanced, but will have to go through a mold clean-up first. Do you have any idea how humiliating it is to have a complete stranger come into your home, hold a hose up to your wall and take pictures of the spots? Also, to have a megabank know how when and how much you paid on your American Express bill? We were supposed to have this done November 14th. Meanwhile, I need the cash from the refinancing and have had to dip into retirement savings.

2) The friend with whom I am supposed to have Thanksgiving dinner has not responded. I have other options which are less appealing but would be better than sleeping most of the day (I am working 12 hours Thanksgiving Day). Hmmmm, maybe spending the day at home with the pigs wouldn't be so bad.

3) I am disgustingly behind on my birthday/sympathy/thank you cards. Forget about Christmas/Hanukkah cards.

4) My bosses promise me work, or the possibility of it, then say it's "off." Yet they can hire new part-timers. Thanks for listening.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:56 pm

I'm so sorry you're having these troubles JaneDoe. that really sucks about the mold. For what it's worth I will be spending the holiday with just my piggy and am looking forward to it.

I hope things start to turn around for you soon.

Amy0204
We miss our sweet Oreo

Post   » Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:43 pm

After our fatal experience with Oreo, I've sworn that next time I see a gas/motility issue, I'm going to run out first thing and get dental xrays. We lost over two weeks focusing on that and not the cause (her teeth). I don't know whether it would have changed anything, but maybe if we had tackled that immediately, we would have had a different outcome.
I'm sorry Pippin's having problems and hope you're able to figure it out fast. It certainly sounds exactly like teeth.

I do have to say that if the pig is dependent on critical care, there's no way you're going to get 10 hours of sleep for awhile to come, until it's resolved. Try 4 hours, if you're lucky. If you wait too long between feedings, you're just contributing to more gas/motility issues and possible liver damage. I know that's a harsh reality, but it just is what it is.

Try not to get too uptight about the refinancing. It's the way of the world, now, and I doubt these inspectors or loan verification folks really pay too much attention to your mold and/or debt. If you believe your need is legitimate, just allow yourself to get through it. It sounds as if you have a lot of other reasons to stress right now; don't compound it if you can avoid it. (I know...easier said than done.)

JaneDoe

Post   » Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:48 am

Thank you, Amy and Bug's Mom. You are more comfort than you know.

Well, my dinner plans fell thru and the back-up plan would be too stressful, so the three of us will spend the day at home together. Not a bad thing. ;)

cavyslave8
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:34 am

I just read this thread. Percy's thread is so long that I just wanted to give you an overview of what happened with him, just in case.

It started with gradual weight loss. Then came the irregular poo's and the diarrhea that lasted for month's. He never had normal poo's for more than 2 days at a time.

At one point Percy had 3 people taking shifts with us on hand feeding CC to try to keep his weight up. He would gain a little one day then lose more the next. He was always interested in veggies but did lose interest in pellets for days at a time.

Fecal cultures never grew anything. There was never a diagnostic test that showed anything unusual throughout this ordeal.

Also, he had awful bouts of gas. Very painful for him sometimes.

I really, really hope this isn't the case with Pippin and I've just wasted your time with all this. I hope you get some answers and he gets better soon.