Henry's Thread

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:30 am

Henry seems to be responding well to the first dose of Tylenol. He's perky, and his poops are looking better this morning.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:40 am

Good for Henry. I hope it stays good news. Be well Henry.

capybara
Supporter in '13

Post   » Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:00 pm

Guys, I am so sorry Henry has a stone.

I remember our vet mentioning that Purdue University could do the non-invasive sound wave therapy to break up stones, but I think he was saying they don't have equipment small enough for piggies. Maybe it would be worth it to check again?

For Chester, the Urisodol (same thing as Actigall) we were giving seemed like it may have prevented new stones from forming, but it didn't break up any of the stones he already had.

Have you tried purified water yet? We were considering it since we have hard water and 2 pigs that had stones. We use a Brita filter, but I don't know how much it helps. We have been thinking about trying the reverse osmosis water they sell at our co-op.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:06 pm

Someone looked into this a while back and the heat generated in the small space would have been too much. This was ruled out as an option by their vet.

TWP_2

Post   » Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:44 pm

It is worth investigating again. If direct extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy has drawbacks, then perhaps we can develop or adapt a trans-urethral probe to focus the energy better.

Thanks for the Purdue clue--maybe I can begin a dialog with them.

Brimstone
For Rocky

Post   » Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:29 pm

When Rocky had stones, I remember the Exotics attending vet at Cornell saying they can do ultrasonic breaking up of stones in larger animals, I think he said even dogs, but not small mammals like gps. He was going to check with the large animal vets to see what they do for horses, since the digestive tract is so similar to guinea pigs. I never heard any more about that though, so maybe that avenue of investigation didn't provide much help.

Good luck to Henry, and both of you.

cavyslave8
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:40 pm

I sure hope you can find something that will work for Henry. I'm so sorry his has a stone. You really have had enough of these horrible things.

We're thinking of you and Henry. Hang in there Grandpa Henry!

TWP_2

Post   » Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:15 pm

We've switched to the Tylenol from Metacam due to Henry's stomach problems with higher-dose or long-term Metacam.

Tylenol does nothing for inflammation. Metacam, an NSAID, does reduce inflammation.

Does anyone have experience with NSAID vs. Tylenol when it comes to bladder problems? I'm wondering if he could experience more problems and discomfort with his bladder without the anti-inflammatory properties of the Metacam.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:09 pm

The guy we gave it to did not have a bladder problem; his was chronic GI. But I think Tylenol does have anti-inflammatory properties and is classified as an NSAID. Not a very powerful one (and it has never done squat for me personally), but still in that family/mode of action.

Rimadyl definitely is, but that might be harder on his GI tract. It may be worth a try, though, if the Tylenol doesn't do the job.

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:16 am

Can I safely give Henry both Tylenol and a partial dose of Metacam?

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:48 am

Jim finally found a cable to connect the camera to the computer.

Here is a picture of Henry's X-Ray.

Despite the stone, though, Henry is, for the most part, taking a business-as-usual stance on life.

But Frost is definitely keeping a close eye on him.

dgarriques
Got Pigs?

Post   » Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:07 am

Ahh I love that last picture.

Poor Henry, that stone is sure big. I hope something helps him soon.