Henry's Thread

luvmypigs2

Post   » Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:35 pm

Was this happening before you introduced the new guy the other night?

TWP_2

Post   » Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:06 pm

Yes, it's really come on since Gilbert and Sully's deaths in December.

Jim

luvmypigs2

Post   » Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:26 pm

From the friends thread Henry became really aggitated and went off into a corner and looked like he was trying to decide whether or not to have a heart attack or pull out a can of Whoop @$$ on the other guys.

I just wondered if it was after the meet and greet. It seems like the gassiness follows being stressed out, but I wasn't sure.

TWP_2

Post   » Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:54 pm

I just wondered if it was after the meet and greet. It seems like the gassiness follows being stressed out, but I wasn't sure.

That could be. He's seemed bad after a car trip (stress), when the new guys first moved in (stress), when Gilbert and Sully each passed (stress), and with the Tom fights and the newest new guy irritation.

If he has heart issues, are these typically treatable with lasix?

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:07 pm

If he has heart issues, are these typically treatable with lasix?
Usually with lotensin. Lasix is only used if there's fluid in the lungs. Lotensin is an ACE inhibitor, and I have a bunch of pigs on it.

TWP_2

Post   » Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:48 pm

Okay, his lungs have been clear to my ear. I was recalling what was done for our dog back in the 80's when she exhibited some heart issues.

Jim

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:57 am

Henry was much perkier and less bloaty today. I opted to take him to the vet anyway, since his poops were still oddly shaped (they are about the right size, but they all have little stems on them).

Henry actually seemed excited about taking a trip, and while in the Rubbermaid container in the car, he was standing with his front feet on top of the pigloo, trying to look out the window. He was also playing cutsy pie with Dr. Miller, though he did ensure the visit was a challenge by squishing poop between the toes of both front feet. You know, just to make him fun to pick up.

Dr. Miller looked at his war wound (we found a honkin' huge scab on his side, and we were concerned part of his problem might be an abcess). When she looked at it, the scab came off and the skin was perfectly healed. She couldn't feel anything weird under it, but she said we should keep checking it over the next week to see if it gets red, hot, or develops a bump.

She listened to his abdomen and heart. The gas wasn't making much noise, and she said that his heart sounded healthy and strong. She did say that she didn't know enough about guinea pig hearts to be able to tell if she was looking at a properly sized heart in an x-ray. So she wants to rule out abdominal issues first. She palpitated thoroughly for any bumps or lumps and couldn't find anything. Since he was having a more normal day today, she said to give him probiotic for the next week and take veggies in and out of his diet to see if there is a particular green that's triggering the gas problem.

If none of that makes a difference, then we'll probably have to take him up to K-State for full diagnostics. I just hate to put him through that trip. A total of four hours on the road in one day really stresses him out.

Fossil Barb

Post   » Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:23 am

Hope everything clears up without having to make the 'big trip'. Just remember that as we age things go a little out of kilter and we get a tad cranky. Love to Henry and all of you.

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:33 am

Just remember that as we age things go a little out of kilter and we get a tad cranky.

Yeah, I know. We just don't want to accidentally dismiss something serious. Dr. Miller suggested that we might find it's as simple as giving Henry smaller portions of food more often.

luvmypigs2

Post   » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:13 am

We just don't want to accidentally dismiss something serious.

I can't imagine that happening!

It's been a stressful couple of months for all of you. Henry lost 2 best friends, made a few long drives to K State, met and made new friends and one that wasn't so nice. That's alot for a little guy of his age. He might just be showing his stress through his GI.

Under watchful eyes, see if things just don't straighten themselves out with everything being status quo.

Grandpa Henry has his new buddies and now Papa Tom has his little buddy, so hopefully with everyone settled you just get to enjoy and not worry. :)

Brimstone
For Rocky

Post   » Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:02 pm

Could you send the x-ray to K-State for them to check out his heart without Henry needing to make the trip? They might still want to see him, but maybe you could put it off if they can easily diagnose something without seeing him. I'm sure they'd be sympathetic about not wanting to stress him out extra for the trip.

Fossil Barb

Post   » Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:17 pm

Dr. Miller sounds like a competent geriatric guinea pigs' personal physician! The next speciality in Veterinary Medicine= geriatrics! I'll take that hint as well. Hope you can send the xrays so GH can stay with the guys.