Henry's Thread

Bugs Mom

Post   » Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:21 pm

Good Lord! It hurts just looking at the picture. Poor Henry.

TWP_2

Post   » Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:49 pm

We are going to be making a decision on surgery now.

Knowing that Henry is more than nine years old...it is a hard decision to make.

Stacy
Supporter in '11

Post   » Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:05 pm

Poor Henry. That is a huge stone. My heart goes out to you. It is such a hard decision.

Bethie
Still supporting in 2014

Post   » Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:05 pm

Poor Henry. I don't envy your position. Just know that whatever the outcome, you have done the best with what you have. You have given Henry a great life with lots of love. If it's his time, you don't have the power to change that. Bless.

mkkayla
Supporter in '14

Post   » Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:06 pm

I wish you luck on your decision, I can't imagine how difficult it will be, but I believe something should be done with a stone that big, I can't imagine he is very comfortable. I just don't know which way I would go...

I am so sorry you are having to go though this. Henry is a lucky pig to have such caring and loving owners.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:06 pm

It is a hard decision but whatever you decide it will be the right one. You want only what is best for him. He's such a dear old man.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:23 pm

My heart goes out to you both. We are always here for you, and support you in your difficult decision.

Hugs for sweet Grandpa Henry.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:49 pm

That stone is really big! How discouraging for you both, TwoWhitePiggies and TWP_2. I know you will do your best for him. I wish these stones never returned once they were removed. As you well know, it is a recurring battle.

He is a sweet old guy. It is so difficult to decide what is the right course. You have all our support.

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:19 pm

Our vet said that earlier this week, they removed a bladder stone the size and shape of a bar of soap from a black lab, so I know these things can get even bigger.

Is there any chance that Critical Care could be making this worse? We started giving him Critical Care about a month ago to help keep his weight up, but I'm wondering about it.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:49 pm

I wish I knew what the best food/foods were. I think all I learn from sad cases like this is how little I know.

TWP_2

Post   » Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:06 am

I wonder if Oxbow's information, which only gives calcium and phosphorous as percentage content, can be used to figure the Ca:P ratio?

If we do the surgery--which we are leaning toward--we want to try to do things right in his recovery period.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:26 am

They list:
Calcium(min) 0.40%
Calcium(max) 0.60%
Phosphorus(min) 0.25%
No maximum phosphorus is listed. You might write them.

If we guessed at a precise phosphorus ratio of 0.25%, that would indicate a range of 1.6:1 to 2.4:1 but one doesn't really know :-(