Henry's Thread

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:54 pm

We've noticed that Frost really follows Henry's lead. If Henry is suspicious of something, so is Frost. If Henry wants something, so does Frost. It's kind of cute, but a little maddening, too.

cavykatie

Post   » Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:18 pm

Heh, that's cute. I hope Henry feels better soon!

Brimstone
For Rocky

Post   » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:42 pm

Do Henry and Frost eat at the same speed? We had to separate Apollo & Spike for pellet feeding for a while because Apollo was losing weight. Giving him a chance to eat without competition helped his weight climb back up.

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:59 am

Brimstone - yes, for the most part. The only time it's a problem is when I put a variety of things, like lettuce and apples, into their food bowls. Frost is a dessert first kind of guy, and Henry saves dessert for last. So Frost will eat his apple slice and then try to yank Henry's apple slice out of Henry's bowl.

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:38 pm

One day later, and Henry is suddenly walking more comfortably and even more playful. When I came downstairs, he leaped over a food bowl. I am very hopeful that this issue is him not getting enough vitamin C because he's boycotted his pellets unless they're in mush form. At the same time, I will feel very stupid that it took us this long to figure it out.

dgarriques
Got Pigs?

Post   » Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:54 pm

I am for sure no expert but I wonder, could you make a mash out of pellets for Henry and form them into a ball (isnt that what Momo did with McMac?)

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:29 pm

I hope you found the cause too!

Karin1

Post   » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:33 pm

Hey everyone, I was reading a couple pages back about the stone pigs. My Lilly passed two stones on her own this past December and then now almost getting to March she passed her third stone.

I switched her diet to Oxbow Cavy Cuisine, unlimited timothy hay, leave lettuce, and apple from time to time. Her water that I give her comes from bottled water instead of tap.

From reading what you guys posted maybe the Oxbow is creating the stones after all. I give her about 1/4 cup each day and she eats her whole bowl!

Should I take the pellets out of her diet?

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:27 am

We really don't know if Oxbow is the problem, so if you aren't seeing a connection, I'm not sure I would worry. In our case, I wonder if it could be a weird combination of pellets and our water composition? It sounds like you're giving Lilly a really balanced diet.

And my happy news - Henry was eating real pellets tonight. I am wondering if the vitamin C is kicking in and taking away some discomfort, which maybe made it less comfortable for him to eat hard pellets?

WindeSpirit
Sewing for a Cause

Post   » Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:51 am

On the Oxbow Cuisine, I can't say anything about stones but I can say it has in the past increased the amount of calcium deposits I find on the fleece. Switching to KM's did reduce it to only finding a spot or two a week.

I've also have used different waters when I went to Michigan and again moving last year, it does have a impact, how much depends on the degrees of change with foods fed. I believe each town/city is required to send out what the water breakdowns are, you can call the township offices to get it. Well waters you'll have to get a sample and send it out. There is kits for it with where to send, though I don't remember where to buy them.

Kishes to Henry.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:19 pm

Good to hear Henry is eating his pellets again!

TWP_2

Post   » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:21 am

There is a "Need for a 'weight gain' diet" thread where I'm looking for and trying ideas to help Henry gain weight. He lost another 1/8 ounce since the last weighing a couple of days ago.

It's a small amount, it could be whether he has gone to the bathroom recently or not, but we're trying to be very cautious about his weight. He doesn't have a lot to lose.

I did a test-run with sweet potato tonight, and he LOVED that. At a 10:6 ratio with kale, that should give us a 1.6:1 Ca:P ratio for that combination of foods. Sweet potato has about a calorie of energy per gram, and kale has about a half calorie per gram.