Henry's Thread

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:22 pm

It sounds as if you're on the right track.

I would think it could take him a while to settle down from such big changes.

I'm glad he has a friend to keep him company, though.

klynne

Post   » Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:16 pm

Ditto, sounds like it's all under control, and things will settle soon.

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:28 pm

I ran some errands and came back to find Henry eating hay and pooping up a storm. I'll feel much better once I actually see him drinking, but he's leaps and bounds ahead of where he was this time yesterday.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sat Dec 30, 2006 9:33 pm

We have had three who had a little trouble with Bactrim. Two were older (5+) at the time. The third (+-1 year) is okay with a little probiotic. The rest of them don't bat an eye on Bactrim. But we learned it can cause some problems for an older and/or sensitive pig.

I think you did the right thing. Glad to hear he's doing better.

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Mon Jan 01, 2007 3:27 pm

Henry is still not pooping nearly as much as he should be considering how much he is eating. (Usually, you're able to shovel what's inside a pigloo he's been sleeping in.) I see a few poops with stems on them, so I know something is coming out, and he's eating and everything, but the volume of poop is definitely down.

What's more, it's a holiday weekend that has been extended for President Ford's funeral (K-State is a state-run vet hospital, so they will be closed for everything but emergencies) so our options are pretty limited. I'd rather not take him to K-State again, though, because the long trip really seems to stress him out.

TWP_2

Post   » Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:46 pm

We just took Henry in (Monday afternoon) for a subcue. He got 15 mL of fluid subcutaneously, which she said was a good start.

The poor guy screamed like a banshee during the shot, he doesn't like having the scruff of his neck pulled anyway. So, this was a pretty stressful situation for him. Hopefully we won't have to do it again. We came home with a syringe of fluids and a couple of needles (one large needle and one butterfly needle) so we can try to give him a boost if he needs it.

Jim

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Mon Jan 01, 2007 7:21 pm

Out of curiosity, how long does it take for a subcue to absorb?

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Mon Jan 01, 2007 7:29 pm

If he screamed like that I bet they didn't warm the fluids.

It should be a tiny 'owie' as the needle goes in. The rest should be pretty painless.

Fluids absolutely have to be at the right temperature, otherwise it hurts.

The fluids should absorb pretty quickly. I always give 20-30ccs, and the lump is gone within a fairly short period of time (15 mins or so, maybe?).

Joannt
Wheekness for Pigs

Post   » Mon Jan 01, 2007 8:03 pm

Hi. Was reading about Henry and his poops! After Evelyn's ordeal and all of the stress that entailed, I started giving her portions of wheatgrass throughout the day...not gobs but a little hank here and there. Holy cow...poop city! The addition of this to her diet has made her a "sooper dooper pooper!"

She never had this in her diet prior. I just bought a patch at the grocery in the organic food section. I mow little clippings through the day and give her a tuft of blades. I probably give her a tasting 5 times a day throughout a 16 hour period. She does not have diarrhea at all - it just seems like it makes her pooping more prolific.

It might be worth a shot to help ungum the works a bit...just a thought.

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:01 pm

I have wheat grass seeds. I tried to plant them once before, but they got moldy. I'll give them another try. The first few poops that came out were hard and full of gas bubbles. The others that have come out are more normal. He didn't kick out a giant pile of them, but he looks and acts like he feels better, so I'm hoping that he's on his way back to normal.

I should also mention how very nice it was for our vet to come in on New Years Day to give Henry a subcue.

He has been able to sleep quite comfortably and is eating and drinking again.

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:13 am

I just thought I'd mention that Henry was happily pooping his big manly poops again today. The subcue definitely did the trick!

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:14 am

Good!