Henry's Thread

dgarriques
Got Pigs?

Post   » Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:35 pm

TWP you need rest! Hope Henry is doing well. How are Henry's teeth? I ask as KM's pellets (which are excellent) are bigger and with my Rosey she has problem teeth and can not chew them. So I had to buy some Oxbow since they are tiny and she can chew better. But I know she likes KM's better. Poor Rosey if I was a better Mom I would sit and snap each pellet in half for her, but alas...that would be NO.

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:55 am

I get some sleep. My problem is that while I enjoy sleeping, it seems like such a waste of time.

Henry is having a better day today. He's made some relatively normal-looking poops and he doesn't look nearly as bloaty.

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:52 pm

Henry is continuing to do very well. We haven't really seen any sign of bloat for almost three days. We have not had to give him simethicone or Reglan for about three days. The only thing we have changed is that we have only been giving the pigs bluegrass - for a while we were mixing it with the timothy hay for Henry, Frost and Widget.

Could there have been some foreign grass in the timothy hay that was causing all of this trouble?

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:05 pm

Henry has continued to do well, and has been maintaining his weight this week.

Then I witnessed a weird thing.

While he was chasing after frost, a large bubble came out of his rear end. Seriously. It was a big, tan-colored bubble, about the size of a brussel sprout. It popped, and then he pooped at a glob of gooey material, and that was that.

It didn't seem to bother him, he didn't seem to struggle with working it out. He finished giving Frost a what-for ate some hay and plopped down in a cuddle cup for a nap. His posture indicates to me that he is totally comfortable.

He doesn't look bloated. He's been making fairly decent-looking poop all day. He's eating and drinking and active.

What's the gooey bubble about?

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:16 pm

If I had to take a guess, having had a couple of seniors with various and sundry GI problems, it was a slough-off of mucosal lining, that needed to come out.

Henry is the older fellow with intermittent GI problems (just enough to worry the daylights out of you), right?

My personal theory is that as they age, especially getting up there, their GI tracts are less ... indestructible, for lack of a better way to put it ... than they are when younger. Mucous and/or a little bit of the mucosal lining of the intestinal tract itself, healing if damaged or worn out, can be shed, right out the rear end.

Are you pretty sure it wasn't boar glue?

If he's otherwise fine I'd not worry about it. I'd say keep an eye on him but I know you guys do. ;-)

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:31 pm

Yup, Grandpa Henry is our little old man. It's definitely not boar glue. I took it out of the cage right after he expelled it, and it's still gooey now (about 35 minutes later).

He looks fine and totally comfortable. That giant bubble was really a sight to be seen, though.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:34 pm

I can well imagine your surprise. Sounds quite unusual to me too.

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:39 pm

Henry has always been talented at passing large clouds of gas.

JaneDoe

Post   » Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:48 am

A wet fart?

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:51 pm

Yup. A wet fart.

capybara
Supporter in '13

Post   » Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:03 pm

Oh, Henry, you poor, gassy old man. Feel better soon!

TWP_2

Post   » Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:30 pm

Henry is actually doing remarkably well. His weight is down a bit, but his energy level and happiness are through the roof.

I love seeing my little old man happy, healthy, and active.