Henry's Thread

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:23 am

Dear beautiful, gentle Henry, we're thinking of you and the rest of your family today.

dgarriques
Got Pigs?

Post   » Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:31 am

Oh no, Henry you must get better. Please let us know how he is.

Fossil Barb

Post   » Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:39 am

I almost lost it when I read Tracis post until I could read the earlier post. Hope Henry is just having a flatulent moment (very common in we seniors) and his body will get back to normal. Keep us posted. Gotta love that "elder statesman".

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:45 am

Oh Barb, I didn't realize how that sounded. Too late to edit - oops.

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:53 am

Henry is perky and happy this morning, but I've only seen one more poop. How long does it take for the Reglan to make him poop?

klynne

Post   » Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:28 pm

I've been pondering Henry's case a good bit these past days.

I may have missed this, haven't read back over the whole thread, but have heart meds been discussed?

I'm purely speculating here, but with his age, and all this gassiness, that seemingly was not present with him before, well, I can't help but wonder if this is his body trying to say "heart issues."

As far as the Reglan working, keep in mind it stimulates the upper section of the GI tract. If that's mostly emptied out, he may even need something to work synergistically with the Reglan, like Cisapride, to help the lower gut get moving better.

Amy0204
We miss our sweet Oreo

Post   » Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:52 pm

As someone who suffers from Irritable Bowel Syndrome, that's a miserable feeling, too - to have the upper GI active, but the lower, blocked. There's no way for the poop to move out and the level of gassiness can be extremely painful. I can't imagine how that might feel to a little critter. I'd also vote for checking into something that helps with lower GI motility.

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:16 pm

I've had my fair share of battles with IBS, too, Amy, so I know what you mean.

I called the K-State vet today to ask her about when we should see some results from the Reglan. She said to call her back if we didn't see anything by this evening. Someone (Mum? Klynne?) suggested heart issues before. We talked about it with our local vet, but it was just beyond her expertise. Jim and I decided to hold off dragging Henry to K-State again for the time being because the last few trips stressed him out very badly. We may need to do it, though. *sigh*

luvmypigs2

Post   » Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:34 pm

Did your vet take xrays of Henry's heart? Could they be sent to K-State?

Joannt
Wheekness for Pigs

Post   » Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:45 pm

Hang in there Henry! We are thinking about you and hoping you start to feel better.

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:07 pm

No, our vet didn't take an x-ray.

He's poofing up again and hasn't pooped much.

klynne

Post   » Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:53 am

Oh no. Maybe time to take a look at daily herbals, too? (I know, not scientific, but LOTS of anecdotal success stories.)

And, it may help with supportive care/symptom relief while you search for causes of Henry's episodes.

Chamomile I find to be especially helpful, if you can get them to eat it. If not, you gotta brew tea and syringe.

TWP_2

Post   » Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:16 pm

Is commercial chamomile tea OK?

capybara
Supporter in '13

Post   » Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:09 pm

So sorry to hear about Henry's problems. They sound similar to some of the gas problems that Momiji has had, but worse. I hope you can figure out the cause. These poor sweet old man piggies don't deserve it!

luvmypigs2

Post   » Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:30 pm

You could also use DMG or Slippery Elm, both which help with IBS. Dr. Becker put Tess on Slippery Elm with a dosing of 1/8th teaspoon to a handfeeding of CC a day. DMG dosing is .5 cc for every 1000 grams of pig twice a day. The DMG has practically eliminated my bosses (sp) IBS.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:34 pm

"Is commercial chamomile tea OK?"

I think so. Read the ingredients and see if there's anything (else) in it that would concern you. I think many of the (readily available) Celestial Seasonings products are okay.

JaneDoe

Post   » Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:32 pm

Is he eating at all? Fresh parsley helps my two when they have tummy problems.

Or maybe you could make a little parsley "soup."

klynne

Post   » Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:14 pm

I do think it would depend on the brand of commercial Chamomile--a health food store probably has a better concentration of the actual chamomile.

But, like Talishan said, if there's no other ingredients, it should be okay.

There are all sorts of herbs that help with tummy troubles. Might help to get some suggestions from an expert on heart support, also.

There is a great bunny herbalist, Deb Hoyt who is extremely knowledgeable, and will work up a set of herbs for each animal's individual symptoms and needs. She is very nice, and would most likely be glad to help a gp too.

Her last contact info I had was deb hoyt @ aol.com.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:39 am

At Henry's advanced age, based on my experience I think it's most probable that he has heart issues - I would be careful about ignoring the possibility.

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:06 am

I'm happy to report that Henry is finally pooping again. Between getting a little metacam and getting some relief intestinally, he's back to bouncing around like a pup.

After having two pigs with bladderstone problems, we eliminated parsley from our pigs' diets. Do you think parsley might help?

Mum, it's in the backs of our minds. Aside from the bloating, he's not exhibiting any of the other symptoms listed on the Heart Pig Primer thread. But I can certainlly arrange to get him checked out.

How long should we keep Henry on the Reglan now that we're seeing some relief?

658 posts