Eye loss, mammary tumor and widowed

Mocu

Post   » Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:26 am

This is my first post. Its really about Cullen, Calico Abby, age 4.

His lifelong mate, Mofusa, was devastated by a terrible URI, among other things, suffering though most of last November. While driving home from ending her suffering only last week, Cullen and I were in a serious auto accident. He and I got the airbags. His little travel carrier was smashed in half. Instantly, after the crash, I reached for him and he seemed to have been spared physical injury.

A few days later, his right eye became inflamed. The 4th vet to see him armed us with antibiotic ointments, probis and metacam (I requested) ... maybe the metacam eased his pain, I don't think so, it had to have been excruciating, he gradually wouldn't eat or drink on his own. It went from treatment of injury to an emergency situation in hours. His eye was surgically removed yesterday, as was a mammary tumor for biopsy. Tonight, we're home, chillng out by the TV and he is doing well, eating, thirsty and napping between cuddlings on a special pillow on my lap.

He has stiches on his right eyelid and his belly, but is not bothering them. No adhesive.

Geeze. I want to say a few things I have learned lately.

I learned with Mofusa's torticollis, arthiritis, pnemonia and weight loss, the time to let her go had come. (Cullen and I buried her last week and made a thicket over her grave with a birdseed block so she would always have lots of visitors.) I know she is always with us, and I know she saved our lives during the collision, watching over us from her little vet-style cardboard casket resting in the back seat. I know she has been comforting Cullen through his grief and his surgery and now his recouperation.

I know long nursing only extends the pain of loss, letting go and ending suffering when undeniable suffering exists, is a higher, stronger, deeper love.

I know our pets can never ride in the front seat. Never, ever.

I learned that what I think I see is not the same as a thorough vet check after a disaster.

I know Cullen is grieving and physically stressed and now learning how to live with only one eye. I know I am his other eye. I know he need lots of time, lots of reassurance and very, very gentle handling.

The three of us were together every day and night for the past four years since I adopted them from an L.A. animal shelter. They traveled with me across the US twice, (in the backseat) during snowstorms, strange motels and even evacuated a California wildfire through crowds of alarmed people and confused livestock. Their picture and watercolor portrait is on my website. I am a painter, I do what I do with them always close by, so I am making adjustments, too. It is because Cullen's adjustment is so much greater than my own that I will move us past this time, into better times, under the guidance of spiritual forces beyond our human ability to comprehend.

I was reluctant to drive again, but that fear had to be overcome immediately in order to get Cullen medical treatment. Each trip is rental cars and hundreds of miles, while the bureaucratic details of the accident have to stand in line. I learned they will take you over, completely, into an abyss of indecision if you do not stay "in the moment". And this moment belongs to Cullen.

The biopsy on Cullen's mammary tumor will be back soon. We have a recheck in 10 days. Meanwhile, I am continuing with the metacam once a day and indulging Cullen in anything he wants or seems to need.

I will post about Cullen's progress as time goes on in case anyone else finds it helpful. I've lurked here quite a lot lately and found out about metacam from this forum. Thanks.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:42 am

Welcome to GuineaLynx, Mocu.

I'm so sorry that you lost one of your beloved piggies. I do hope that both you and Cullen will heal and be well soon.

Thank you for sharing your experience with the pet carrier in the front seat. This is valuable information.

slfalzone

Post   » Sun Dec 24, 2006 1:10 am

Hello Mocu,

I am so very sorry that you have had such tragedy recently, Mofusa and Cullen are lucky to have you.

I hope you and Cullen have many, many more days together.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sun Dec 24, 2006 1:20 am

Oh dear, what a very traumatic time you've all had.

I'm so sorry you lost Mofusa and then had to suffer through such a dreadful ordeal.

You probably know that mammary tumors are usually very slow growing and often easily removed with no further problems. Cullen should also adjust well to the loss of his eye, but this is certainly a lot to deal with at once.

Welcome to Guinea Lynx!

Your paintings of the boys are wonderful.

Mocu

Post   » Sun Dec 24, 2006 11:14 am

Thank you tracis, slfalzone and Mum for your kind comments. Mum, it looks as if you are right, Cullen is breakfasting as we speak. He's made a hay nest and has found his way to the top. That is heartening news about the mammary tumor. I look forward to hearing about all of your piggies.

Mocu

Post   » Wed Dec 27, 2006 12:58 am

Day five after Cullen's eye and mammary tumor surgeries:
I am wondering how long to keep up with the metacam?
And if Cullen is going to be on it further, I'd like to figure out how to adjust his time of taking it to the evening instead of at dawn? Is there an optimum time? He takes it once every 24 hours. Don't want to give too little or too frequently. If its best, I will leave it at dawn, but I think it would be more effective to ease his nights. Yes? No?
He was a little light after his surgeries, but has since regained the loss. What are the side effects of metacam? Wouldn't it make for a softer poop? We've had to do 2 brief warm water on washcloth paw wipes today.
I just gave him a tiny dose of probiacin.
I feel he is grieving for Mofusa and alternately feeling lonely and self-conscious and trying to figure out why his eyesight has changed. Otherwise, he is out of his cabin and stirring around at least every hour. I am not hearing the wheeks over the fridge door opening but I do get purrs during cuddle time.
His post-op checkup isn't until Jan 2. Any advice is appreciated, thanks.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Wed Dec 27, 2006 1:02 am

After 5 days he may not need it any longer.

The only way to know is to try skipping a day and see if it makes a difference.

It shouldn't affect his poop. However, if he's on baytril or another antibiotic that might affect this. Probiotics are usually given two hours after antibiotics to be most effective.

slfalzone

Post   » Wed Dec 27, 2006 1:37 am

No advice to add I'm afraid - I am very happy to hear that Cullen is feeling a little better!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:02 am

Yes, you can see if he's doing better by cutting back or skipping a dose.

For what it's worth with my human surgery, the first couple days were bad and subsequent days were just ibuprophen or nothing. You seem to be observing him well. That and weighing will give you an indication if he is ready to get off it.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:21 pm

You can also give him half his Metacam dose, twice a day (rather than the full dose once a day). This has worked well for us.

Thanks to you, my car's back seat is now cleaned out and future vet trips will be taken in the back. Know that Cullen and you may save many lives by posting your experience.

Mocu

Post   » Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:29 am

I couldn't bring myself to take him off it completely and went for the half dose twice a day. For the first time in a very long time it seems, he is doing his normal things. Normal means he runs away when anybody comes around and you have to cajole him out. Another day of this half dosing twice a day and I think he'll be ready to stop.
Thanks everybody for your comments and information. Its all very helpful and encouraging.

Mocu

Post   » Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:46 am

I think we're on to something here. On the half doses of metacam twice a day, Cullen's poop returned to normal. We're not going to do any today. He's energetic, eating well and behaving normally. FWIW, I am concluding metacam, for all its benefits, indeed has a side effect of softening poops and produces a semi-lethargy which is minimized by breaking the once-a-day does into two half-doses. Cullen was further aided by a less-than-pea-size taste of probis, once-a-day on his two half-days. I saw on this forum that some people were doing that successfully and it made a lot of sense.
Talishan, that was a very good suggestion! I appreciate it so much.
And Mum, yes, Cullen does appear to be adjusting just fine in all respects as you thought he might. You called it perfectly!