Rosie is Limping

Trick

Post   » Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:38 am

I really didn't think I'd have to use this board so soon after my introduction :/

Yesterday we spent the day doing introductions between our older (8 month) piggies Rosie and Gracie and our younger pigs Brie and Frisky. Things went badly (after hours of going pretty well) with Rosie and Gracie ending up in a proper standing fight (Gracie leaped to defend the younger pigs and thankfully only lost a wee chunk of fur). We had a buddy bath which worked really well but Rosie hates baths and managed to jump out of my hands twice - at one point jumping up in the air, over my arm and back down. She seemed fine as I was drying her.

After that we thought she was in the huff because of the day she'd had - she stayed in her pigloo for a couple of hours, didn't even come out for veggies. Later that evening I was horrified to spot her limping. I lifted her out of the pen, and while sometimes she runs and waddles about fine, other times she is is limping and trying not to leave her weight on her left back foot.

She can move her left leg around fine but it's not as "relaxed" as her other leg. She also squeaks a little if I touch the top of her left leg, sort of her hip/thigh area (though of course it's not an area a piggie likes being touched anyway).

We phoned the vet and we're going to get her x-rayed tomorrow, in the meantime we have put a divider in the cage so she isn't stressed by the new pigs, and as she is on vetbed already I'm hoping she is comfortable.

Does this sound more like a sprain/muscle pull or more like a fracture? And is there anything I can do in the meantime to make her more comfortable today? She's now effectively in a 2x3 with Gracie (they made up again and are snuggling together) and seems to be relaxing which is good. She's also eating and drinking fine though I'm going to try and weigh her if I can without hurting her leg.

I feel utterly sick about this, I thought she was just in the huff when really she was in pain and no doubt shock about her leg :/

If anyone could please reassure me that she'll probably be okay I would be eternally grateful, I keep thinking of all the worst outcomes of this and I don't know how I'm going to get through this day waiting for an appointment tomorrow.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:08 am

If you have any metacam around, you might try giving her a little of that.

It's possible that she did just 'pull' something and that she'll be fine in a few days.

Let us know how the vet visit goes.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:14 am

Restricted movement (a smaller living area on towels) can help a sprain heal. Since there was a fight, make absolutely sure the vet checks for bite injuries. A foot infection can be a big problem as the feet don't seem to get as much blood circulation and infection can be very serious. With an injury, you would want daily soakings of the foot in an antiseptic solution and perhaps a safe oral antibiotic.

One poster (Pinta) had a heart pig (even less blood circulation) require amputation of a leg because of a foot bite.

Trick

Post   » Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:56 am

Thank you for the advice - do you think I should make her living area smaller than it is at the moment? (Currently 2x3) She's on vetbed which is apparently used for orthopedic matters so I hope that's good for her. I'll put some towels in too for her to cuddle up in.

I'll get the vet to give her a good check over for bites, I did have a look myself but obviously a vet would know much better what to look for.

I don't have metacam unfortunately though I'm now ordering some to put in my emergency kit.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:46 pm

If she really is limping, yes, I would make it smaller. It should help.

Trick

Post   » Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:17 pm

Thanks Lynx, I appreciate the help. I'll rearrange the partition to make her area smaller.

meggielou

Post   » Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:23 pm

Hi Trick,
I'm new to Guinea Lynx too and also really upset that I've already had to use the Emergency medical forum.

My cavy, May, had a fall yesterday and has the same symptoms as yours (limping, squeaking if you touch her shoulder area.

I put her in a 1x2 because her buddy and her like playing the chase game, which probably isn't too good for healing.

I don't really have any advice ( since I'm new to this), but I know how sick and upset you probably feel. I've been spending every minute by her cage. So I just wanted to let you know I'm sending good vibes your way and hope everything goes well at the vet tomorrow!

Trick

Post   » Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:34 pm

Thank you meggielou, that means a lot to me. I'll be thinking of May tomorrow too, I hope things go well for both our piggies at the vets.

Trick

Post   » Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:56 am

We got an appointment at 9:45 this morning. The vet gave her a thorough check over and there are no breaks, fractures, bites, cuts, or any kind of inflammation. She put her on the floor to observe her movement and said it was most likely a very light sprain, some kind of muscle pull or perhaps even just some light bruising. She weighed Rosie and gave her some painkiller after consulting a book listing safe medicines for piggies and how to dose correctly.

Rosie does seem much happier now and is content to rest her leg.

Thank you so much for all the advice and the well wishes, I am so so so relieved that it turned out to be so simple.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:00 am

Did you get meloxicam? Or rimadyl?

Glad to hear it was nothing serious.

meggielou

Post   » Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:43 pm

that's great news!

I have my appointment in 3 hours. (I'm on the West Coast.) I hope May's prognosis is as good as Rosie's!

I'm so glad everything worked out for you :o)

Trick

Post   » Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:44 pm

Good luck with May meggielou, and thank you!

Lynx, it was Meloxicam I believe - the name went out of my head earlier but that rejogged my memory. Such a teeny amount needed for a guinea pig. And thank you, we're just so utterly relieved - plus we haven't seen her limp at all today.